It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Perception is Reality: How "Framing" reshapes the meaning of everything they tell you.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   

In the field of communication, framing defines how news media coverage shapes mass opinion.

Framing is a tool of propagandists which I often make reference to in my various counter-propagandist activities. I've been meaning forever to make a focus topic about it, but haven't gotten around to it thinking about it enough to come up with a slick and fun way to go about it... until just now. So here goes a quick impromptu crash curse of a piece on framing, complete with all the twists and turns you might expect from a Hollywood blockbuster...

I happened upon one of these "Trailer Mix" videos not an hour ago, which are major motion pictures where the remix artist takes the film and remixes them into spoof trailers typically completely contrary to the theme of the original film. A different soundtrack, a different assembly of the same film clips, and a tweaking of the narrative and viola a 'whole different film' emerges (The Goonies as a Thriller) from the same films you've been watching your entire life:

The results are killer entertainment for film buff types and satire artists, as well as they ought to be required viewing for any budding film makers, propagandists or counter-propagandists.

Note that by "counter-propagandist" I refer to what I feel is:
In journalism terms, a Counter-Propagandist one who deliberately decodes propaganda to reveal to the masses how they're typically manipulated. Mainstream journalists very rarely ever acknowledge the very concept of propaganda, let alone actively work to reveal is various methods for the sake of the viewers. Considering in the modern age, essentially every mainstream news media outlet peddles hardcore propaganda as their primary content, as such counter-propaganda is effectively the vigilante justice realm of modern journalism.

One of the key methods of propaganda used today, from PR firms to the MSM, is "Framing". Framing is like the platter that political schema are delivered on in se the world of political news riddled with political bias. Framing also plays into advertising, such as in terms of the difference between selling a product on its practical uses and the workmanship of its manufacture (the hard sell) vs. selling it based on image that is how it will make people feel (the soft sell).

In terms of political theory, framing can be every bit as effective in squashing or pushing an agenda as would be se omissions & distortions. It could be called the true face of distortions, and yet distortions is still but its own category as is framing.

That ought to be enough to give you the idea, whereas the following trailer remixes are brilliant in their own right, while drive home the power of Framing better than anything I can think of. Enjoy!

What About Bob as a Stalker Thriller

'Edge of Tomorrow' Recut as 'Groundhog Day'

'The Martian' Recut as a Musical Comedy

Framing is ubiquitously entrenched in modern journalism. It's likely that it doesn't exactly gets utilized deliberately as much as it would take deliberate intent to stay vigilant in being self-conscious to not engage in framing. Nature tends to take the path of least resistance, after all, while then we have these monolithic media institutions whom are the propaganda arm of the Corporatocracy whom own our world. I expect its real easy for this method to flow like water for these kinds of "journalists" in these echo chamber boiler rooms, while without a doubt the Machiavellian machines that guide them absolutely prefer agenda framing in all that flows from their fountainheads of perception manangement.

Therefore, you the viewer must stay vigilant against these forces of false reality.

Huzzah!

edit on 17-6-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Perception is Reality

Yes and no.

Perception is perceived reality, not necessarily true reality except to the person perceiving (but that's a different discussion).

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   
liquiescence beat me to it haha

edit on 17-6-2017 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Good stuff I've never seen that one!

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   
'Dumb & Dumber' as an Oscar-Worthy Drama

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Brilliant post

Take a look at Tradeau he's said some "Bushisms" like "If you kill your enemy they win" and it is just ignored. Could you imagine if Trump said that?

The Australian government stopped the boats of illegal immigrants entering Australian shores preventing the deaths of thousands of people drowning at sea, and yet all we hear about from the left-biased ABC is 'oh the poor 'refugees' how inhumane'. They completely ignore the lives saved and the fact that this vetting process ensures we accept genuine refugees who desperately need protection and not economic migrants

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 07:27 PM
link   

First off, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those are hilarious!! Now I have a new set of videos to peruse, thanks!!

On a more serious note, yes, framing does alter perception for people. Not just in movies, of course, which most understand, but in everything the media presents, and even in other areas. Advertising is full of this stuff. Heck, the news is full of this stuff. Even other areas of our lives are affected by framing; education, business, politics, everything.

The trick is to learn how we are being manipulated, and to be able to see through the BS, when it matters.

S&F! Well done.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Lol, those trailers are amazing. I would watch all of them of they actually made the remakes.

The Goonies gave me life as a kid!

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Aaaah. the art of the magician. Making people think they are seeing something that does not exist. The Wizards of the media at work. You do not think that the last wizard that tricked people into seeing what is not there was Merlin do you?

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

The Wizards of...

'The Wizard of Oz' as a Michael Bay Movie

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Ah yes, trailers really are the perfect example for the topic. I should have thought of it sooner. As evidenced in some of my other works, I'm a big fan of Grindhouse cinema with particular fondness of the trailers culture. My impression on looking back on so many of those 60's-70's era works it is was as if they made the films just to make the trailers, where they're taking many of the worst movies ever and making them look TOTALLY AWESOME.

I went to grab a compilation to post in another thread real quick and saw this one which got this reel spinning:

'Star Wars' Recut as a Grindhouse Film

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Kalixi

Ah, some actual political example.

One example of particular note I can think of in recent times was when the WikiLeaks hit last year, instead of lead the headlines with:
"Hillary did _____ _____ ______ according to recent email leaks",
the MSM framed the discussions around:
"Russia hacked Hillary's emails those criminal fascist thugs argh"
kind of drivel.

More will come to me....

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   

It really does make one stop and think about the power of framing, those examples really make that point evident.

Add to that the evil nature of those following Bernay's tactics on controlling the masses through propaganda and it makes sense.

Look at the way big pharma, frames their advertisements for a better life, focusing your attention in a way that makes one ignore the horrific side effects.

The way the MSM spreads fear with literally every single story, to sell more wars, restrictions of freedoms, and more nefarious governmental "plans" to help the people while taking all they can from them.

This framing appears to be the key to social engineering a population the way you would like to simply repeat, repeat, and repeat.

Thank you for the thought provoking thread.

edit on America/ChicagoSaturdayAmerica/Chicago06America/Chicago630pmSaturday8 by elementalgrove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   
This has me thinking about applying other film industry terms to news media.

"Special Effects" and "Post Production" come to mind from the above materials.

It could be said that Framing is the foundational layer of new reporting Special Effects, whether it be in video, image or print. I mean look at these trailers, you get a whole different film concept from a little constructive tweaking. ANd its universal: it does for any of these films what it would require barrels of blood and pyrotechnics to be able to make se a war movie.

'Inception' as a Holiday Comedy

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Oh this is awesome LOL:

Honey, I Blew Up the Kid as a Godzilla Movie

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   
These go a bit outside the realms of the Framing topic, but they're a satirical blast.

Terminator 2 reimagined as a Toy Commercial

A Cruise Line Commercial for the Titanic

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 04:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Kalixi

....So you've framed:
the stopping by force and detaining indefinitely, supposedly free people, who've busted their nuts to gather up the dollars and hunt down some options, who have then rolled the dice to get themselves out of their horrendous lives...... and you've framed it as "saving thousands of people" from "death at sea."

Lady's and gentleman, this man rests the OP's case.
Shame fellow Australian, SHAME

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Ummm...as far as framing goes...sometimes the most effective method is to simply label...

"Little Marco"
"Crooked Hillary"
"Lyin Ted"
"Crazy Bernie"
"Low energy Jeb"
"Goofy Elizabeth Warren"

These methods are very effective and cement association in the mind of the viewer or listener...It effectively shuts down the opposition...They become the label in the minds of the target audience...

The target is framed by the label and seldom recovers from the piling on of perception...

Your a "racist"...Your a "homophobe"...etc...

Look how much society has been manipulated and opponents silenced by the effective use of this method...

YouSir

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Trump ------------------- covfefe

2+2=5

Long live the Herd !

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

Ummm...as far as framing goes...sometimes the most effective method is to simply label...

"Little Marco"
"Crooked Hillary"
"Lyin Ted"
"Crazy Bernie"
"Low energy Jeb"
"Goofy Elizabeth Warren"

These methods are very effective and cement association in the mind of the viewer or listener...It effectively shuts down the opposition...They become the label in the minds of the target audience...

The target is framed by the label and seldom recovers from the piling on of perception...

Your a "racist"...Your a "homophobe"...etc...

Look how much society has been manipulated and opponents silenced by the effective use of this method...

YouSir

Forgot about "deplorables"

top topics

<<   2 >>

join