It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Shark Die-Off on California Coast is Alarming Researchers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Makes me sad. Sharks are older than #ing trees.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pandaram
I am a reef keeper. A small .5 alk change would nuke the tank. Usually down to runaway train effects.

Please tell us more - I'd really like to hear what you have to say.

peace

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: silo13

I am a reef keeper. A small .5 alk change would nuke the tank. Usually down to runaway train effects.

peace

I don't think anybody would understand.
Apparently reef keepers speak a language that only other reef keepers can comprehend.

The language of the reef keepers makes my head hurt.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dr UAE
a reply to: Groot

Is the radiation from Fukushima directly or in directly involved?

i guess no one will talk about it

Don't want to cause a panic now do we? Much easier to blame farmers or some microbe.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   

It all started out with an unusual number of sharks being spotted off the coast to begin with ... if memory serves. Lots of stories of Orcas killing Great Whites right about then too.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Groot

It's more likely backlash from the area's local pollution.

It's far more likely to be toxins in the water from oil spills, spring melt runoffs and the like than radiation.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: silo13

peace

I remember this post from a previous thread:

Link 4 U

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: c2oden

i followed some of it.

Sounds like you two have lots of cool creatures.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: SmilingROB
I had a video of my tank that I kept and would watch now and then to remember the joy it brought me. I lost it when I tried to transfer over to a flash drive which was falsely marketed as terabytes large and everything was corrupted. It was my system at its peak too

Marine systems however are more vulnerable in smaller volumes. But the alkalinity change of .5 would not necessarily destroy the whole system. It would certainly affect stony corals, but zooanthids and most soft coral and hardy fish species can usually hold it down. My alkalinity would swing every now and then, but not too drastic.

The current shark deaths have to be a very specific pathogen because it seems limited to a species. Coral are more prone to dirty water and lack of nutrients, especially the stony's.

I will now clarify the cooking rock and reefer statements. Its kind of an inside joke within the hobby. We call ourselves "Reefers" , so off the bat some people hearing a conversation from close by are going to be curious. One think that seems to raise eyebrows when overheard is the term "Cooking Rock" , which coupled with the term Reefer does not invite pleasant thoughts to people on the side.

The term cooking rock though refers to placing any new "live rock" in quarantine to destroy parasites and unwanted specimens. Live rock is rock that was either pulled from a reef or aqua cultured commercially and encrusted with beautiful purple/mahogany algae and usually has multitude of tiny invertebrate living inside the pores and crevices for the fish to feed off naturally. Many times though these rocks have unwanted thing like worms that can grow six feet long and kill the livestock you paid good money for with its stinging bristles or other critters as I mentioned earlier.

Because these are salt-water creatures, all that needs to be done is to place the rock in a container separate from the water cycle of your established system and immerse it with fresh water, preferably distilled for up to 48 hours. Everything dies.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Groot
Is the radiation from Fukushima directly or in directly involved?

The "stuck record" gang are obsessed with Fukushima. The OP speculated on something closer to home, which is more plausible.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   

there's an earthquake coming your way i reckon... this type of die off always means something is coming.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   
So sad....there is no doubt in my mind that the Fukushima issue has something to do with all these mass die offs. Were talking about thousands to millions of gallons of radioactive isotopes just freely flowing into the pacific ocean....warming it which causes sea levels to rise even more, plus inducing algae blooms which can kill marine life. So yes imo fukushima has a lot to do with the die offs...the pacific ocean has become the modern day Chernobyl.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join