It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher suspended for removing pro-Trump slogans from yearbook

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 12:20 AM
link   
In the future, parents and grandparents will want to open their year books and flip through pages to see the politics of the past. To try to forcibly erase that record is to doom future generations to repeat it. It is the duty of teachers to provide children with lessons to improve themselves and society, to celebrate speaking one's mind and embrace discussion of the merits and failings of ideas. What this teacher has done is is the opposite.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Methinks this might be a PC dress code violation, as stupid as it sounds.

When I was in high school my best friend was called into the principal's office for wearing a wrestling shirt that had the words 'rules are meant to broken' written on it. Soon after anyone not wearing a uniform when they arrived at school was issued a ticket and so many tickets would warrant a suspension. However after I got 88 tickets (my friend did better, he got over 110) the scheme faded into obscurity.

If a kid wore a Clinton shirt that had her slogans printed on it (who are we kidding she had none) then they would have to be blurred as well, which is also bogus. Do you Evict a patron from a bar because he is wearing a Nickelback T shirt, and yes we may giggle but it's his right to wear it. The funny thing is I did a television advertisement for my boss and the words on my T shirt weren't blurred out, and I quote the slogan on the T shirt verbatim...

"How about a nice warm cup of shut the f**k up? think before you say something stupid." So I can get away with profanities like that but a kid can't wear a shirt with a harmless slogan? The Helen Lovejoy's out there are out control.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Methinks this might be a PC dress code violation, as stupid as it sounds.

When I was in high school my best friend was called into the principal's office for wearing a wrestling shirt that had the words 'rules are meant to broken' written on it. Soon after anyone not wearing a uniform when they arrived at school was issued a ticket and so many tickets would warrant a suspension. However after I got 88 tickets (my friend did better, he got over 110) the scheme faded into obscurity.

If a kid wore a Clinton shirt that had her slogans printed on it (who are we kidding she had none) then they would have to be blurred as well, which is also bogus. Do you Evict a patron from a bar because he is wearing a Nickelback T shirt, and yes we may giggle but it's his right to wear it. The funny thing is I did a television advertisement for my boss and the words on my T shirt weren't blurred out, and I quote the slogan on the T shirt verbatim...

"How about a nice warm cup of shut the f**k up? think before you say something stupid." So I can get away with profanities like that but a kid can't wear a shirt with a harmless slogan? The Helen Lovejoy's out there are out control.

Yes, we had a policy in my school (years ago) prohibiting any political statements, candidates, etc etc.

In this case however, the school superintendent has already made a public statement, and said that there were no policies prohibiting this at all. They have also stated that the teacher in question was in the wrong. Just a case of another rogue teacher trying to forward their own agenda.

I'm no Hillary fan, but I would be equally as disgusted if this happened to kids that had a shirt of hers on or quoted her in the yearbook.

This case is just another reminder that although I'm not a perfect parent by any means, I'm doing the right thing by not having my child in a public school.

<< 1  2   >>

join