It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Change user name to real name?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Is there any way I can change my use name to my real name? I don't want to re register.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
No...once you pick your name your stuck with it until you register a new one.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I'm afraid dreamlandmafia is correct.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Why the hell, in this day and age, would you want to register your real name? Sure someone with enought comp-savi could figure it out soon enough, but why give then the head-start?

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
Why the hell, in this day and age, would you want to register your real name? Sure someone with enought comp-savi could figure it out soon enough, but why give then the head-start?

So Im stalking the wrong Jonna am I??

Damnit...

*wanders off mumbling*

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
it beats havng something like knowledge543. Don't yu gus consier yourself conspiracy family
or something?

I guess im stuck with this user name. I just don't want people thinking I know evrything and would like to be called by my real name

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
You could end your posts with your real name or put it in your signature, perhaps. Just an idea.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Truth
I guess im stuck with this user name. I just don't want people thinking I know evrything and would like to be called by my real name

Buy the little vanity titles for under your user name and say something like:

TRUTH
But you can
call me Bob.

Or just AKA BILL (etc) or do what cmdrkeenkid suggested in your siggy.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I can see it now, Rant:

Deep Throat
But You Can
Call Me Henry
Kissinger...

[edit on 5-2-2005 by Chakotay]

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 11:10 PM
link   
The ATS discussion board was originally powered by XMB 1.8 Service Pack 3.

I say orginally becuase the board is so heavilly modified, its not really xmb any more.

xmb's new version 1.9.1 FINAL has an option to change a members user name in the administration panel. Even though this mod can be added to 1.8 boards, its would take lots and lots of time to customize it to our beloved ATS.

So, unless this option is really needed, or SO has a s*** load of extra time, I doubt the feature will be added.

-J

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I agree with those who suggest that it is unwise to post your real name on the internet. I know many who have done so and even one who posted his address, although he was easily found on QwestDex, based on information gleaned from his posts.

There are way too many people who perceive the internet solely as a means to exploit others. There is absolutely no reason to make that task easier. It's like leaving the key to your house in the lock, or worse, perhaps.

[edit on 05/2/5 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 06:04 AM
link   
My real name is UK Wizard

....why does nobody believe me

- peter

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Truth
Don't yu gus consier yourself conspiracy family
or something?

Yeah sure we're a family, but do you want to have an unexpected reunion with the uncle that nobody talks about? What if some obsessive freak takes to worshipping another member for some reason. Just for example, what if I got it in my head that Grady was so brilliant that he just had to be my soulmate, regardless of gender. Do you think that could just maybe open up a really distrubing series of events for Grady if he had tipped his hand about who and where he is?

Then there's ID theft to consider. Normally people don't go out of their way to steal a specific persons ID, but they could if they had a reason to.

A member posts his info and he ticks me off somehow. Well amigo, now I'm gonna live my dreams at that member's expense. I track him down, I sneak into his house and get his SSN off his paystubs, and I steal his identity (which is painfully easy in many states).
Now usually if you steal someone's ID you just write bad checks, get credit cards, lease vehicles and keep them, stupid crap like that. But this person really ticked me off, and their credit isn't that great. So I'm gonna go commit a few robberies to make the big bucks, and if I get caught I'm going to be booked in his name, then I'm going to jump bail in his name, and he will be the subject of a manhunt while I escape.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I don't think anyone would go to that much trouble to hunt me down...am I that loved?

But hey who am I to talk? I use a fake *last* name, but my first name really is Jack.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
By god, who in their right mind would advertise their real name, and have a picture of themselves (on a different thread)? That's just asking for trouble!

*vote for me, click below*

new topics

top topics

join