It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Satellite 'Quantum Technology'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 06:07 AM
link   
www.bbc.com...

new Chinese satellite features 'quantum' technology

The term "spy satellite" has taken on a new meaning with the successful test of a novel Chinese spacecraft.

The mission can provide unbreakable secret communications channels, in principle, using the laws of quantum science.

Called Micius, the satellite is the first of its kind and was launched from the Gobi desert last August.

It is all part of a push towards a new kind of internet that would be far more secure than the one we use now.

The experimental Micius, with its delicate optical equipment, continues to circle the Earth, transmitting to two mountain-top Earth bases separated by 1,200km.

The optics onboard are paramount. They're needed to distribute to the ground stations the particles, or photons, of light that can encode the "keys" to secret messages.

"I think we have started a worldwide quantum space race," says lead researcher Jian-Wei Pan, who is based in Hefei in China's Anhui Province.

I don't know enough about this tech stuff to really understand but I hope we got stuffs like this.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Quantum is the new arms race. Us industries are hard at work and look to surpass the chinese in this respect as well.

We have to.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

If they do feature "Quantum Technology" it will most lightly be to do with secure up-link/down-link functionality.

Fact is quantum encryption is the future cryptology.
edit on 17-6-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   

That seems like a great leap from development to actual putting a operational satellite into space. Either they have made tremendous efforts in research and development or they are fibbing. But then a couple of years ago that maverick engineer came on ATS to say that we already had secret quantum commo devices on some of our Mars' rigs. So why not quantum machines here and now? Hell, our supposedly impossible but seeming real enough reversed-engineered triangles from UFOs seem real enough.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   
'Quantum leap' communications via "optics" and photons, means lasers.

Difficult to intercept, focused beams of coherent light don't radiate rf radiation that can be intercepted.

China is fashioning tools to prevent meddlesome spying by the US state of secrets.

Unless an optical receiver can intersect the beam itself, there is little chance of intercept, let alone decrypting and decoding.
edit on 17-6-2017 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I think it's the real deal. To do secure encryption, each party to the communication needs a private and public key. But they need to exchange public keys. Normally they just send these across the Internet. But this system goes one step further by encrypting the communication channel used to exchange public keys using quantum entanglement of photons.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

But this system goes one step further by encrypting the communication channel used to exchange public keys using quantum entanglement of photons.

Is that wave or particle theory?

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123
We already have for 15 years at least.

Look up Starfire Optical Range in Albuquerque.....been on the down low.

Let's just hope the last administration didn't sell secrets like the Clinton administration did with nuclear technology.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   
This is talking about quantum encryption. But it reminds me of a blast from the past. Some would have us believe we already cracked entanglement for faster than light communication too.

astroengineer.wordpress.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

But no.
www.forbes.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   

It sounds like it's a different satellite, but I made a thread about a Chinese satellite in 2016 that uses "quantum" technology to make it hack-proof. Probably different satellite?

thread

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

It sounds like it's a different satellite, but I made a thread about a Chinese satellite in 2016 that uses "quantum" technology to make it hack-proof. Probably different satellite?

thread

took a look. the 2016 was a test/experimental with Austria. (apparently the Aussies aren't in on this one!)
so I'm guessing yours was a prototype / test bed for this one.
good catch!

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Quantum communication is not 100%, due to the fact of errors in transmission the best you can normally get is around 75% from the last bits of waffle I read, that gives should you be able to intercept the transmission a 25% chance of not being detected.

While basic Q based transmissions are easy to understand at a basic level it very quickly heads into seriously geeky tech where a PHD is probably only good enough to make the toast for the rest of the team.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Templeton

lol i had forgot about that tale
of all alleged whistleblowers i have seen on the years,that was the most plausible one
its either real or it is one of the best hard scifi stories i have ever seen

top topics

join