It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"HER" 2013: Some thoughts on the AI movie

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I just watched Spike Jonze's movie "Her" a movie about a lonely man who falls in love with a hyper intelligent Operating System starring Joaquin Phoenix and Scarlett Johanssen.

I really enjoyed this movie, it has crazy-high ratings for a movie that I've never heard of before. A few things stood out to me about the recurring themes that were ticking background of the movie:

* Utopian near-future LA
While the movie does not list a specific time period where this movie is set, the level of technology present suggests that it is in the near-future. All the characters wear bright coloured clothing, all people are modestly covered except in the scene where Theodore goes to the beach, this scene shows bikini-clad women but they are not skimpy styles. I may be wrong about this but I don't think I saw any characters wearing dresses or skirts - the future has genderless clothing. Nobody in the movie wears makeup, no red lipstick, no mascara it seems the future portrayed in the movie is a feminist one. The character Amy (Played by Amy Adams) comes across as a tomboy dressed in pants and shirts with no makeup. As her marriage breaks down and she befriends the female OS, to me it suggests that she is exploring a lesbian relationship. Also there is no trash on the ground whatsoever. The utopian future is clean and a 24/7 economy with many couples safely walking around on the street at night time.

* Bright Colours
In the office where main character Theodore Twombly works, there are bright glass panels around the building. Several scenes also show bright glass on other buildings during the course of the film. To me this is reminiscent of Google's logo and their Head Office in Silicon Valley.

What were your thoughts on the film?

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 06:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Kalixi
I love "HER"! I think it deserves a second and third watching to fully appreciate... HER.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 06:19 AM
link   
In my opinion, the movie represents the complete submission to technology as people are seen walking around quite oblivious to anything aside from where they are going and their relationships with their own OS.

It seems like a utopian society, but there's a weakness in paradise: the ability to stay engaged with your fellow human beings.

The AI is so good at being everything that no one really needs each other anymore. They seem to just look to each other for approval of their virtual relationships, and if I remember correctly, did Theodore actually marry his OS?

I think Theodore's job writing "hallmark cards" represents an actual need in the society as people are becoming less connected to each other; actually having a hard time finding the right words, and then being seduced by an OS that says all the right things.

I can't remember if the OS is purchased or simply given away if you want it? Maybe someone could clarify that.

Been a while since I seen, but overall it makes some thoughtful scenarios for discussion.

(Anything..... and I mean ANYTHING besides political discussion at this point is freaking priceless... thank you.)

S&F

edit on E30America/ChicagoSat, 17 Jun 2017 06:26:28 -05006amSaturdayth06am by EternalShadow because: add/correction

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 07:54 AM
link   
This is rather funny

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

We have fully submitted to technology since the spear....lol..

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Kalixi

While the movie does not list a specific time period where this movie is set, the level of technology present suggests that it is in the near-future.

Like Blade Runner in its time, easier to use film sets that already exist. I haven't seen it and I want too, but right off the trailer lost me with its more human than human , robots.

The penultimate robot is going to be genetic manipulation of humans to a hi level pf proficiency, more like the theme of Blade Runner, something the genre of 'Sci' Fi used to understand.

Now its just about our techy hardware emulating humans, even their emotions.

Meh, the perfect automaton already exists, they are called soldiers, their perfect weapons are mindless drones.

But go head on Hollywood, convince us that future drones will have a 'moral' choice to make included in their 'programming''.
edit on 17-6-2017 by intrptr because: clarity

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Now, that's hilarious-proving venus and mars -we're different and have got to stop trying to change one another.

"Her" was just really depressing to me. No satisfaction. And did he ever really learn true love or just the usual "it's all about my needs?"
edit on 17-6-2017 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: EternalShadow

We have fully submitted to technology since the spear....lol..

I think you're confusing cinema with reality. Furthermore, I'm not sure why you feel the need to correct an opinion piece...

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow
In my opinion, the movie represents the complete submission to technology as people are seen walking around quite oblivious to anything aside from where they are going and their relationships with their own OS.

It seems like a utopian society, but there's a weakness in paradise: the ability to stay engaged with your fellow human beings.

The AI is so good at being everything that no one really needs each other anymore. They seem to just look to each other for approval of their virtual relationships, and if I remember correctly, did Theodore actually marry his OS?

I think Theodore's job writing "hallmark cards" represents an actual need in the society as people are becoming less connected to each other; actually having a hard time finding the right words, and then being seduced by an OS that says all the right things.

I can't remember if the OS is purchased or simply given away if you want it? Maybe someone could clarify that.

Been a while since I seen, but overall it makes some thoughtful scenarios for discussion.

(Anything..... and I mean ANYTHING besides political discussion at this point is freaking priceless... thank you.)

S&F

Yeah Theodores job writing personal letters is so strange at first. I think the film invites the viewer to accept that this service is just fulfilling a need in people. Also I was taken aback at how in-touch-with-his-feelings Theodore is, don't get me wrong I think it's great but after I rewatched it I sort of viewed his constant mental unpacking of his situation as bordering neurotic. But then again the whole premise of the movie is to explore the relationship between Theodore and Samantha.

No he doesn't get married to Her, unless there's a Directors Cut version?

He purchases the OS after seeing an advertisement. That's another thing; there are little to no advertisements or billboards in the movie, maybe suggesting that the NWO has taken place negating the need for "capitalist" adverts?

Another thing I really liked was the child actress spoke as a child and was all fidgety and natural. I hate directors that give kids these full scripts - they just come across so mechanically.

Did you notice that the portrayals of the extras with their OS's changed. When Theodore was secure and happy with Samantha the extras were shown as having interactions both with other humans and their OS. The powerful scene where Theodore is sitting on the subway steps questioning his relationship. He's watching people with their OS having these silent conversations and you just hear their steps, so good

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
a reply to: UKTruth

"Her" was just really depressing to me. No satisfaction. And did he ever really learn true love or just the usual "it's all about my needs?"

It's a good question I never thought about that. (SPOILER ALERT)

I viewed the last scene thinking that Theodore and Amy were reminiscing with the time they had with their OS's but were much fuller for the experience. I guess you could also look at it as the start of their romantic relationship now that they have learnt to love....idk

join