It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FOUND! My Grandfather's WWII Scrapbook!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Trust me, she took no sh*t from anyone. They used to babysit me during the summer when I was young. Lots of fun but you did what they said or there'd be hell to pay.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker
I am in possession of two scrapbooks exactly like that! What wonderful things they are. One belonged to my mother and one to my aunt. They are full of newspaper clippings and letters from the war. There are a few pictures. Two of my mother's brothers were in the war, one in North Africa and Italy, one in France. Some of my grandmother's letters to my uncle survived and they give a picture of the situation at home under rationing.
I've promised myself that I'm going to scan all of them and store them digitally but until I get the time to do it, they are stored in my fire-proof safe with all our other precious documents.
Thanks for sharing.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I love looking at WWII photos and videos.
I try to look at all the people in the background.
I keep waiting for the day one of my grandfather's appear in one.
We only have one or two photos of either of my grandfathers during the war.

My paternal grandfather was on a wooden minesweeper. My maternal grandfather was one of the original SeaBee's who helped build the forward bases in the Pacific.

The things that all of these soldiers endured (on both sides) is completely astonishing.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Your grandfather was a good photographer. The world is full of images like these (many WWII troops took pictures) but if you contact a photo stock house like Corbis or Google they may make you a modest offer for some of the more unusual ones -- the boxing match on deck, for example. The photo of the men hauling on mooring-ropes is also very good.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Amazing!!!
Please continue to share with us here!
May I also suggest possibly sharing some of the items with a local WWII Museum/Memorial?
The heirlooms and pride will always belong to you and your family, but the history belongs to the World. It would be nice to share your families contribution in shaping our modern way of life.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I would love to find something like this from my grandfather, who was in USMC in the Pacific. Every one of them was a hero in my book. Of course they would never say that about themselves, which makes it all more true.
Make sure you hang on to this.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Amazing! Thanks for sharing

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   

What a treasure!!! For you, personally, of course, to have all those old memories come to life, and for all with whom you share as well, to see scenes we haven't before seen of those times. Truly awesome. So much from those times can be lost, old pictures are really something to cherish.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join