It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Micky Dees now has FRESH BEEF - As Opposed to What?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: UncleDoc
a reply to: rickymouse

Beef is best finished on grain, barley and oats preferably. Grass fed and corn fed beef tastes gross. Never around here would a farmer sell a beef straight from the pasture, always fattened up for a month on grain.

Yup, that has been going on for a long time. That elastin binding protein is not effected by finishing on grain, once it is in the cows muscle, it is there. But the concentration goes down by weight in the muscle as the cow eats grains and forms new muscle and inter-muscular fats Now, the myristic oil that is built up from the grain finishing is actually preferred by some people, it is the only oil I know of that has psychotropic properties. This fat is high in cavier and whale oil and seal meat. It does raise cholestorol levels in people for some reason, they have not figured why that oil does it but it does. Coconut oil actually has more mystiric acid, but it is very high in lauric acid, another saturated fat, that seems to cancel out the cholesterol raising properties. Now grass fed beef has more lauric acid concentrations than beef that is fed all grains for a long period of time. So grass fed beef does not raise up the wrong types of cholesterol as bad.

I don't mind beef that is finished on grain. The guy we get our half cow from has planted the pastures with some good grasses and does give the cows some mineral supplements that are certified organic. He has been raising beef for a long time now and knows what grasses make the best tasting meat.

Barley should be malted, barley has natural growth and repair hormone chemistry. Oats are high in molybdenum and they do have some good properties if used to finish the beef. Soy and corn should not be used. Those two grains are used a lot commercially. Before the farmer I get my beef from went certified organic, he used to give some grains to finish the cow off, the beef then was a little fattier than it is now, and it needs to be aged about four days longer now. If you try grass feeding an angus, you are not going to get a decent product, they need some grain finishing. The Limousin actually grows slower and does a lot better on grass alone. I have been buying beef from various farmers for around thirty years now, every year we used to get a whole steer and now we get half a cow. Kids are gone, I do not have employees to give twenty to thirty pounds of prime beef to anymore for Christmas every year. So half a head is fine, we give it to the daughters and brother for Christmas every year.

So the type of beef cattle is important too. I have had two grainfed steers in the past, I gave most of that away, it had no flavor and I don't like steak you can cut with a fork. One was Angus, the other was Hereford. I'll never buy fully grain fed cows anymore. Especially if they are corn fed. Too much fat with corn.

Most farmers around here used to have cows grazing out in the fields, now they are starting to stick them in the barn all the time so they gain weight faster. The meat is more tender too

I was telling you guys the reality of things, my knowledge often challenges the commonly accepted consensus of society. Before I take a stance like I just did, I research all aspects and consider both sides of the issue. I will tell you that grass fed beef of the right breed is better for most people, whether you choose to ignore me is on you. I am just trying to inform people. I do not have anything about finishing with oats and barley, I know a very lot about those two grains and how they interact with the bodies of most animals. If you give a lot of oats, you better subsidize copper for the cows.

To study how this stuff effects humans, I also have to study how food effects animals we eat. So, I know a lot about cows, pigs, and chickens and turkey. I don't know crap about sheep or tropical animals, I do not eat them. The only thing I know about sheep is that I am allergic to wool, which means I shouldn't probably eat the meat since the oil that is in wool, lanolin, is in the meat too. I am intolerant to the oil in sheep. Why would I study sheep if I will never eat them, I do know that sheep meat is high in molybdenum and that is about it.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

Fascinating information, and no, I certainly had no idea about all of that! So much we don't know!! I do love bison, for what it's worth, but it's ridiculously expensive these days!! Much appreciated info!!

I could buy a half of Bison from my soninlaw's friend for about six bucks a pound when it is all packaged including losses from aging and packaging. I like bison, but the wife doesn't, I actually like buffalo burgers the best. It costs about six fifty a pound for his burger, but it is good, he does a good job taking care of them. He only does maybe six a year.

My wife doesn't even like the burger though, I buy burger occasionally from a local store that sells his bison burger.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   

McDonald’s Corp. is switching to fresh beef after using frozen meat for more than four decades.

The change, which will involve just its Quarter Pounders for now, marks one of the biggest moves the company has made to turn around its struggling U.S. business.

Wall Street Journal

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: xSEEKxNxSTRIKEx

The rotting will depend on humidity.

You can make a burger at home and it will do the same thing if the thing drys properly.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 01:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

Fascinating information, and no, I certainly had no idea about all of that! So much we don't know!! I do love bison, for what it's worth, but it's ridiculously expensive these days!! Much appreciated info!!

I could buy a half of Bison from my soninlaw's friend for about six bucks a pound when it is all packaged including losses from aging and packaging. I like bison, but the wife doesn't, I actually like buffalo burgers the best. It costs about six fifty a pound for his burger, but it is good, he does a good job taking care of them. He only does maybe six a year.

My wife doesn't even like the burger though, I buy burger occasionally from a local store that sells his bison burger.

I love the stuff, and so does the rest of the family, but 6-8 a pound is just too much. Used to be, we could get it for 4 or so, but been ages.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Fresh. pffft.

I got nasty habits.
I take tea at three.
The meat I eat for dinner
must be hung up for a week.

edit on 6/18/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Fresh. pffft.

I got nasty habits.
I take tea at three.
The meat I eat for dinner
must be hung up for a week.

Most people do not realize that you can take a roast off a cow and put it in the fridge for a month and it will not spoil. The beef has natural enzymes that break down the meat and keep bacteria at bay. At the point that it is broken down and the enzyme is reduced, then bacteria can eat it. If you cook a roast and put it in the fridge it can spoil in a week because the enzymes protecting it are denatured by the heat. Now, I do not know if this applies to wet aged meat.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join