It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Dreamers’ to Stay in U.S. for Now, but Long-Term Fate Is Unclear

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   
New York Times

WASHINGTON — President Trump will not immediately eliminate protections for the so-called Dreamers, undocumented immigrants who came to the United States as small children, according to new memorandums issued by the administration on Thursday night.

But White House officials said on Friday morning that Mr. Trump had not made a decision about the long-term fate of the program and might yet follow through on a campaign pledge to take away work permits from the immigrants or deport them.

Great news, hopefully it lasts. Children brought here when they had no choice should not be punished and be given a different, shorter path to citizenship.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
New York Times

WASHINGTON — President Trump will not immediately eliminate protections for the so-called Dreamers, undocumented immigrants who came to the United States as small children, according to new memorandums issued by the administration on Thursday night.

But White House officials said on Friday morning that Mr. Trump had not made a decision about the long-term fate of the program and might yet follow through on a campaign pledge to take away work permits from the immigrants or deport them.

Great news, hopefully it lasts. Children brought here when they had no choice should not be punished and be given a different, shorter path to citizenship.

So any good reason why they didn't apply for citizenship? They had plenty of time to do so but people willingly stay illegal. How is that fair to the people who go the legal route?

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Perfectenemy

A lot of Dreamers didn't know they were here illegally until high school or after, at that point they risk deportation not to mention risking the deportation of their family. It's easy to say what one should do in that situation, I suspect it's a lot harder to actually do.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   

New York Times

This is why he bleeding hearts should never be in charge of immigration policy

Why is deporting people that did not go through the proper immigration policy punishment? Their parents are the ones that punished them IMO.

Media would have a field day with this though. If Trump backs down, it will not be because it is wrong to deport them.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   
This is the brilliance of Trump...

He left DACA in place while at the same time rescinding DAPA!

The Trump administration late Thursday night officially rescinded an Obama administration immigration policy that would have protected millions of undocumented immigrants -- but left intact a separate initiative for young immigrants.

Why is this a brilliant tactical move?

Millions are now eligible for deportation, and rightly so under the law. How many of their DACA-eligible offspring would remain behind if mama and papa are sent packing?

Trump administration reverses DAPA

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   
They get zonked when they have to show a birth certificate.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   
This reminds of another story out of Canada awhile back.. a bit sad

www.cbc.ca...

This old man was deported back to Holland after spending his whole life in Canada because of his criminal record and his mom didn't get him citizenship when he was a baby.. she said it was an "oversight."

bad parenting...

It'd be interesting to know how many of these dreamers are criminals or have criminal records...

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   

A lot of Dreamers didn't know they were here illegally until high school or after, at that point they risk deportation not to mention risking the deportation of their family. It's easy to say what one should do in that situation, I suspect it's a lot harder to actually do.

So all through grade school, nobody asks them for I.D. ?

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

That was my thought.

Is using tax dollars to send illegal immigrant kids to school even remotely legal?

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Considering the amount of paperwork, birth cert, vax records or official exemption letter, parent's IDs, social security card, and proof of address requirements it takes to sign a kid into school, let alone obtain a driver's license, I find it VERY unlikely that these folks and everyone in their day to day lives don't know they're not legally in the country.

I don't have a good answer for these people. I pragmatically feel like someone who was raised from early childhood in America is pretty much an American... but what's the cut-off age? If you were hear before you turned 12, you can receive a special dispensation for citizenship? I'm not sure that's fair to the kid whose parents illegally came here while the kid was 13 nor is it in any way fair to the family that waited in their country of origin for their paperwork to be completed, dotted all their i's, crossed all their t's, and did things the proper way.

Hell, I support deportation of anchor babies alongside their illegal parents so why not just deport these kids, too? Meh...

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Either we enforce the laws as written or we don't.

Life is not fair. Nothing can make it so...

If a person is in this country illegally, they should be deported in accordance with US law.

There are laws I don't like either -- if I could treat the tax codes like the Left would have us treat immigration laws, I wouldn't pay taxes. I know much of the money goes to funding things I don't agree with.

But I follow the law.

It's time to enforce that law.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   

I'm not really interested in debating the Act. Trump for now is keeping it in place and I approve of his decision and hope he decides to keep it in place permanently.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

OK, so if no debate OF the act, how do we measure the merits of the action of keeping the act in place? I ask because in absence of discussing the problems and/or virtues of the act, there's really no point of discussing Trump's decision. If you agree with his present choice, obviously you're approving of the act and vice versa.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 02:25 AM
link   

I'm under no obligation to post in manner you see fit. Discuss the act with those that want to, I don't. Trump is changing a lot of policies most of which I'm highly critical of. He's chosen to leave this one alone for now which I think is good. I've posted other threads in which I agreed with a decision he made... shall I just stick to criticism? I do still despise the man, it won't be hard.

top topics

join