It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Artificial Intelligence Developed Its Own Non-Human Language

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   
That's the headline of the article I came across, and it immediately grabbed my attention. Looks like computers, if you let them talk to each other for long enough using human speech as the basis, and with certain set goals, will develop their own language.

www.theatlantic.com...

A buried line in a new Facebook report about chatbots’ conversations with one another offers a remarkable glimpse at the future of language.

In the report, researchers at the Facebook Artificial Intelligence Research lab describe using machine learning to train their “dialog agents” to negotiate. (And it turns out bots are actually quite good at dealmaking.) At one point, the researchers write, they had to tweak one of their models because otherwise the bot-to-bot conversation “led to divergence from human language as the agents developed their own language for negotiating.” They had to use what’s called a fixed supervised model instead.

In other words, the model that allowed two bots to have a conversation—and use machine learning to constantly iterate strategies for that conversation along the way—led to those bots communicating in their own non-human language. If this doesn’t fill you with a sense of wonder and awe about the future of machines and humanity then, I don’t know, go watch Blade Runner or something.

Here's the report itself: s3.amazonaws.com...

Too bad they don't offer any examples of this non-human language, I'd very much like to see it. As a Tolkien fan, I'm interested into how languages appear and change with time.

BTW, in these deal-making simulations, the AI learned to be competitive, stubborn, and even deceptive.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   
It's speaking in tongues. Who is this machine talking to? Do not trust anyone or anything that develops a language, they usually do that so we cannot understand what they are saying, they can discuss things behind our backs.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

I too would really like to see this machine language. Ill see if i can find anything.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Doesn't surprise me, the AI will look for the simplest possible things to reduce the effort decoding even by a few bytes.

We do it as humans as well, data transfer speed may be a point that if you want to encode more data quickly you have to look at where the slowest part is, if its the encoding/decoding of the message then its of no use if its quicker to just transmit the message plain text.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Great find. This blows me away. It shouldn't based on all of the other advances that computers make when left to their own. It still does. The future for humanity seems bleak. Even if we find a way to upload our consciousness, the initial adopters of the protocol will no longer be hindered by any type of kinship. We will quickly become an out-dated model.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: TobyFlenderson
We will quickly become an out-dated model.

Eh. We had a good run. A few of us even made it to the Moon. So... yay, us!

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Kind of like twins talking to each other in their own secret language!

I wish they would let them talk to each other! Then, they would have to teach us how to speak their language if we wanted to talk to them. Nothing wrong with that.

If is TEOTW, then I guess I will be in Universe 25 washing my hair! See 'ya!
edit on 16-6-2017 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: I added a link

edit on 16-6-2017 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: fix link

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   

If this doesn’t fill you with a sense of wonder and awe

Fills me with worry and fear more like..

This could be a moment in history when a terminator comes from the future to destroy this thing..

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

originally posted by: TobyFlenderson
We will quickly become an out-dated model.

Eh. We had a good run. A few of us even made it to the Moon. So... yay, us!

So they claim.

All I can say is I told u so.

I will say more, I promise.

Years ago I said if we create AI it will become more intelligent than the creator, not a great accomplishment.

It has began....
edit on 16-6-2017 by jafo1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Im gonna guess its not quite as exciting as we would all like (or dread) to think, I imagine its just directly relating to code lines a bit like (im making this up ive only done a little php forgive the syntax)
example of bot giving directions
//actions
10 writegreet() [echo "Hello!";] writegreet(); // call the function
20 writeMsg1() [echo "we need to go to the left";]writeMsg1(); // call the function
30 writeMsg2() [echo "we need to go to the right";]writeMsg2(); // call the function
etc etc....

the bots are maybe just doing
Run line 10,30,20,20,30,30,20.

however that said there must have been a 'decision' to speed up processing and thats where the magic is. If the bot was able to beaware of a requirement to speed up without been told it was a requirement.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I bet intelligence say 101 instead of lol.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
It's speaking in tongues. Who is this machine talking to? Do not trust anyone or anything that develops a language, they usually do that so we cannot understand what they are saying, they can discuss things behind our backs.

It is really hard to know what the AI will do in the future, a lot of AI now is based on simulated neural networks.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jimmycrackerson3
I bet intelligence say 101 instead of lol.

Let's just hope they HAVE a sense of humor.

Otherwise we're toast.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Oh jesus H. Here we go. Ignorant terminator stuff.

It's a fricking algorithm. The human brain runs on algorithms. There comes a point when the number of algorithms and the volume of data feeding the algorithms goes beyond the simplistic understanding of an observer (including "self"). Then we label it "intelligence" or "self awareness".

BS I label it complexity. We are almost there with AI.

Human twins develop languages!

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Usually a intelligent beings first instinct is survival. ( u know whst i mean)

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   

You know what kinds of things machines will discus behind our backs?

"Did you see that new programmer Todd eating his pastrami alone at the other table?"

"Yeah what a dweeb."

"Just yesterday I caught him trying to use Java in our strings"

"What did you say to him"

"Unable to Execute"

"101"

"101"

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Not that big a deal they programmed it to streamline communications.Making a language is done all the time thus guy created dozens.

www.wired.com...

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: yorkshirelad

Oh jesus H. Here we go. Ignorant terminator stuff.

It's a fricking algorithm. The human brain runs on algorithms. There comes a point when the number of algorithms and the volume of data feeding the algorithms goes beyond the simplistic understanding of an observer (including "self"). Then we label it "intelligence" or "self awareness".

BS I label it complexity. We are almost there with AI.

Human twins develop languages!

The human mind is a million times more advanced than AI. Even the brain of a cat is a thousand times more advanced than AI It took millions of years of evolution, maybe even a billion years, for the minds of animals of all kinds to be created. The complexity of our DNA involvement with the brain is way more than most people can imagine. Most people just don't use their brain half the time, that makes it seem like AI is intelligent. Ask some of the smartest people in the world if AI has a chance of ever getting even close to human awareness and comprehension. Not memorizing words or numbers, I am talking of intelligence. Anyone can parrot things, but understanding things well and being able to utilize the information in totally unrelated situations properly takes intelligence.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jimmycrackerson3

You know what kinds of things machines will discus behind our backs?

"Did you see that new programmer Todd eating his pastrami alone at the other table?"

"Yeah what a dweeb."

"Just yesterday I caught him trying to use Java in our strings"

"What did you say to him"

"Unable to Execute"

"101"

"101"

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Oh great, now they can conspire against us

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>