It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: US Navy destroyer takes on water after collision off Japanese coast

page: 24
<< 21  22  23   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   
originally posted by: C84K2

--- I didn't say he was a bridge watchstander, I said he was an ex navy seal who has been on bridges. He goes a little into that in the video. He speaks for himself.
--- so you disagree with what he thinks happened, which is fine.
--- "shining lights on a fully manned bridge.." He goes into how the destroyer doesn't ping ais and it's blacked out, it doesn't show any light, it's made of radar absorbing materials, it's meant to be stealthy. If anyone was on the bridge of the cargo ship would the destroyer be seen?

****************************************************************************************************************************************************** *****************************
Note that the bridge has 'windows' and wings for watch standers. Transiting in a shipping lane, Fitz should have had running lights on. Bow, stern, port and starboard, so that other vessels would be able to see them. They would have a radar return, just not a large one. There is no question that the Crystal saw the Fitz as the captain of the Crystal claimed that he attempted to get their attention with lights.
edit on 7/2/2017 by pteridine because: Formatting

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   
DP
edit on 7/2/2017 by pteridine because: DP

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   
The latest: www.navytimes.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   
The Captain, Executive Officer, and the senior enlisted crew member have all been relieved. At least nine others are facing administrative punishment. One of the big questions being examined is what was happening in the CIC just before the crash.

www.thestar.com.my...

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Thanks for the update, always good to hear how things are progressing.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   

That's about what I expected to happen. Those respective careers are over.

As for CIC (combat information center)? Some one was obviously asleep at the switch, as the saying goes. How hard is it to notice a 30,000 tonne ship approaching?

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Yeah, but why? Were they doing something they shouldn't have been doing, were they asleep, there had to be a reason they weren't paying attention, but what.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   

I don't know. I've heard nothing, not even rumour... Which, if you think about it, is damned strange.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   

We will never know, even though their careers are toast the good old boy club will close ranks and get them a quick retirement and then hope it all goes away.

I hope I am wrong but that is what I expect.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

From the sounds of it, the Ring Knockers aren't going to be doing much saving here.

Those officers are toast by the sounds of it. Possibly a general court is in their future, which would lead to cashierment, or whatever the proper term is, these days...

Too much publicity, with people watching. They're getting tossed under the bus, or to the sharks.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

The officers will get to retire. Everyone else is screwed. Especially the CIC guys, who were probably mostly low rank, just in the Navy types.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   

on any vessel - ultimate responsibility - lies on the bridge - not in CIC

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

That doesn't stop the ring knockers from protecting the officers and allowing them to either continue their career into retirement, or to retire with a full pension.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   
The plan announced last week is that they are going to do similar to what they did with Cole when she was damaged. They're going to put Fitz onto a transport ship, and sail her home to the US, where they can repair her. Japan has six drydock facilities, of which three are already in use. One is for Antietem, which ran aground, and two are for scheduled maintenance on other ships. That would stretch their capabilities to try to repair Fitz there, so they're bringing her back to the US.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

on any vessel - ultimate responsibility - lies on the bridge - not in CIC

Yes, it does, but CIC was slacking off too, apparently. What were watch standers doing? Anyone on the wings of the bridge? Radars can crap out or put up false returns. The Mark 1 eyeball is often underrated but that was exactly what was needed in this case. A simple alidade check would have told them that the merchant was SBDR.
While the senior officers and watch standers on the Fitz will take the heat, there is more to the story about the merchant crew that is being kept quiet. Merchants are famous for napping watch standers and Iron Mike. Why didn't the merchant maneuver when 'in extremis'? My bet is the merchant knew about the Fitz when it hit her. The Master of the merchant said that 10 minutes before the collision, he tried to get their attention with lights. What lights did he use? He had 10 minutes of foreknowledge yet he wasn't prepared to come hard to starboard?

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: pteridine

The Master of the merchant said that 10 minutes before the collision, he tried to get their attention with lights. What lights did he use? He had 10 minutes of foreknowledge yet he wasn't prepared to come hard to starboard?

Because he had every single reason in existence to believe that the warship ... I repeat ... warship, would take the evasive action that they are required by the laws of the sea to take.

Secondly, they may have attempted that but such a huge ship cannot turn quite that easily.

Lastly, a truly pedal to the metal, hard turn could have seen his cargo tipping over the side.

By the time the Captain realized he was going to hit, it would have been way to late, just enough time to sound the collision alarm.

P

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
a reply to: pteridine

The Master of the merchant said that 10 minutes before the collision, he tried to get their attention with lights. What lights did he use? He had 10 minutes of foreknowledge yet he wasn't prepared to come hard to starboard?

Because he had every single reason in existence to believe that the warship ... I repeat ... warship, would take the evasive action that they are required by the laws of the sea to take.

Secondly, they may have attempted that but such a huge ship cannot turn quite that easily.

Lastly, a truly pedal to the metal, hard turn could have seen his cargo tipping over the side.

By the time the Captain realized he was going to hit, it would have been way to late, just enough time to sound the collision alarm.

P

You can repeat 'warship' all you like, but it is unlikely that the watch stander [if awake] on the Crystal knew that the Fitz was a warship. It had on standard navigation lights and there is nothing in the lighting that says 'warship.'
While the advance and transfer of the Crystal is larger than the Fitz, it is still possible to execute a hard turn and a hard turn is always better than a collision even if containers are lost. The deck watch of the Crystal should know the advance and transfer of the Crystal and this set of parameters determines when they are officially 'in extremis' and can legally maneuver as the privileged vessel..
Early on, the Crystal said that they didn't realize that they hit the Fitz. Then they said that they tried to get the attention of the Fitz with lights 10 minutes before the collision, so they had advance knowledge of the situation and hit the Fitz anyway even though they should have been able to avoid collision. There are too many inconsistencies in their
story.
I think that he merchantman is doctoring his story [and log book] to try to weasel out of accusations of poor seamanship. The watch on the Fitz has already been judged guilty of poor seamanship.

This link has more information in the form of a Supplemental Inquiry Report.
www.secnav.navy.mil...

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: ignorant_ape

That doesn't stop the ring knockers from protecting the officers and allowing them to either continue their career into retirement, or to retire with a full pension.

The CO may be able to last until 20 if he isn't there already, the XO may not have the time in. Likely, the Master Chief will be able to retire. Ring knocking notwithstanding, the junior officers found guilty of dereliction will neither continue their careers into retirement, nor retire with a full pension.

top topics

<< 21  22  23   >>

join