It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: US Navy destroyer takes on water after collision off Japanese coast

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: violeta commander isn't the captain of a us destroyer usually a commander or lt.commander in ranki? that would be bad if the ships co or co was missing.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: proteus33

He's not missing. He was airlifted off with serious injuries.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravelwell the impact looked like it ewas right infront of bridge superstructure maybe he was on bridge and stepped out onto a catwalk to get a better view and fell or maybe the impact was by his stateroom.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I remember a video from many years ago where someone read the radar as 10 miles between hash marks.
In actuality it was 1 mile between marks.
Could it be that simple this time???

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Power_Semi
wait they didn't heave to and help in rescue operations? i thought is you came upon a ship in distress regardless of flag it was maritime law you give aid period.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: bally001

Many years ago when I was just starting my decorating business I worked for a freight forwarder doing the accounting for their ocean freight business. I had bills of lading, insurance paperwork, declarations of value along with the bills to pay.
Often these containers were not full. One shipper, one consignee. They are loaded with a forklift that drives right into them like a mini garage.
The contents are secured but still a crash could shake things up.
I bet there are a lot of claims of damaged goods the shipping line will have to pay. Well their insurance will.

I can't wait for the forensics on this crash. NTSB or the military or both?

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: proteus33
a reply to: eriktheawful
this reminds me of a story i heard years ago a navy destroyer picked up a large surface contact in its path and radioed it to move out of its path the object replied no you divert your path . the captain heard this and got p.o.ed and said this is the captain of us navy destroyer followed by ship name change course or we will fire on you. surface contact replied this is the lighthouse on something rock change course or run aground.

Check out snopes.com. That story is utter BS

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   
One of the US best radar detection ship!
So all the enemies of US need to do is use these Stealth ships to Ram them!
what Amazing fantastic future tec they have.
america is doomed.
I bet Putin is on the floor laughing!

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Search is on for 7 missing US sailors, cause of ship collision off Japan

Tokyo (CNN)The search was on for seven US sailors missing after an American warship and a merchant vessel collided off the coast of Japan, as US forces and Japanese authorities worked to figure out why the vessels struck each other.

The 10,000-ton guided-missile destroyer USS Fitzgerald and the ACX Crystal, a 29,000-ton container ship flagged in the Philippines, collided early Saturday local time, officials said.

The destroyer suffered severe damage to its starboard side, while the container ship sustained light damage.

I don't see the 7 have been found yet. Makes my skin crawl thinking of the possibilities.

peace

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: silo13
Search is on for 7 missing US sailors, cause of ship collision off Japan

Tokyo (CNN)The search was on for seven US sailors missing after an American warship and a merchant vessel collided off the coast of Japan, as US forces and Japanese authorities worked to figure out why the vessels struck each other.

The 10,000-ton guided-missile destroyer USS Fitzgerald and the ACX Crystal, a 29,000-ton container ship flagged in the Philippines, collided early Saturday local time, officials said.

The destroyer suffered severe damage to its starboard side, while the container ship sustained light damage.

I don't see the 7 have been found yet. Makes my skin crawl thinking of the possibilities.

They're probably in the sealed-off compartments.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler
Maybe its a long shot, but do you think hopefully some of them could survive this long or longer if they had a big air pocket to breathe. I have seen a video of a man found in a capsized boat many days later, but these are different circumstances.

I understand they seal it up when it starts flooding, but hopefully they can find our brothers and sisters alive.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: proteus33
a reply to: roadgravelwell the impact looked like it ewas right infront of bridge superstructure maybe he was on bridge and stepped out onto a catwalk to get a better view and fell or maybe the impact was by his stateroom.

According to people claiming to have served or have knowledge of that/those ships, the impact point would have severely damaged his stateroom.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: 772STi
Maybe its a long shot, but do you think hopefully some of them could survive this long or longer if they had a big air pocket to breathe. I have seen a video of a man found in a capsized boat many days later, but these are different circumstances.

I understand they seal it up when it starts flooding, but hopefully they can find our brothers and sisters alive.

It's possible that the issue wasn't drowning but being crushed to death.

A terrible tragedy, however it happened

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

That's what I wondered. My thought was if all was well with the ship before the collision then he was probably in his quarters at that time.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: buddha

Of course. Because everyone knows that nobody ever makes mistakes. The people in the military are all geniuses who never do anything wrong.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

Unless the ship was at general quarters (battle stations), there's a good chance that they may have been in their racks sleeping in the berthing areas that were damaged and flooded. They won't know until they are able to get those compartments dewatered and can search.

The first reports however, were that several sailors were knocked over board. That's still just as scary, believe me, as you can only tread water for so long, and even if you use your clothing to help as floating, eventually you become too exhausted to stay afloat.

We lost a crew member on my 3rd ship. He went out during rough seas while crossing the Wall (just off the east coast where the gulf stream is, the swells tend to get huge, and the weather that night was stormy), even though the weather decks were secured (means no one goes out unless it's a emergency). That also means: no look outs. Weather was just too rough.

This guy was doing what we call Mess Cranking and was new on the ship. He went out in the really early morning hours with a bag of trash (this is when we used to toss them over the sides after ripping holes in them to sink). When it was realized he was missing, they started passing the word for him over the ships intercom, and we did a search of the ship top to bottom, bow to stern.

only thing we found was that bag of trash he'd been told to bag up. It was stuck in the helo nets on the stern of the ship. We, along with the Coast Guard searched the seas for days, realizing that after the first couple of days what we'd most likely find was his body floating in the water.

He was never found.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Or went overboard if they were watch standers. Without signaling gear it's more luck than anything to find a person in the water.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

The Normandy just lost someone overboard last week. They had two carriers, three smaller surface ships including the Normandy, two CG ships, helicopters off one of the carriers, and land based aircraft looking. I don't think they found him either.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Cygnis

Yes, ran into the destroyer, and had the right of way by rules of the sea, being the larger vessel.

I don't understand how the destroyer was not aware of the larger vessel?

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Do the men on watch wear some type of locator beacon for just this reason? I have seen some small devices that activate when they enter salt water.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join