It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: US Navy destroyer takes on water after collision off Japanese coast

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Good points. Except for the fact the ACX Crystal made several "unusual" maneuvers before the crash. It's not like she was just headed in a straight line and the USS Fitzgerald just pulled in front of her. There's much more to is than this.

Again, no excuses for a US Naval vessel, but it wasn't like they were just cruising on two collision courses and then just suddenly collided.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Good points. Except for the fact the ACX Crystal made several "unusual" maneuvers before the crash.

For the third time, it looks (to me) like the "unusual" manoeuvres were made after the crash, not before.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

That makes sense to me. Two ships collide with the destroyer being without power for a short time. The larger vessel goes in a big circle with everyone they can get on deck, to scan for missing sailors. Just the thing I would do in a heartbeat.

P

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   

If you add nine hours to those times on the last 2 tracks, you get a time just after the collision. That means the ship was sailing westbound after having sailed eastbound. That was part of the what's up with that situation.
edit on 6/17/2017 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   
If they had control issues before collision, maybe it was decided to not enter the water nearer port and head back out. Cant tell the lanes on those tracks. Could they have been out of a lane dealing with control issues which complicated the issue with the navy ship.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

That's why I said that we need to be sure about the times. If they said the UTC time instead of local there wouldn't be any doubt, adding the nine hours difference between local time and UTC gives a slight difference in time for the events and the times seen on the charts I posted.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 08:24 PM
link   

There is about an hour from the first to second track. That would represent the time to sail east and then back west to the collision.
edit on 6/17/2017 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   

The Japan Maritime Self Defense Force ships JS Ohnami, JS Hamagiri, and JS Enshu have joined the JCG ships Izanami and Kano and USS Dewey (DDG 105). A U.S. P-8 Poseidon aircraft is working in concert with two JMSDF Helicopters and a JMSDF P-3 Orion aircraft to search the area.

www.maritime-executive.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

There would be no chance of finding anyone. It's been too long.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   

The US Navy said Saturday that "a number" of missing sailors from the USS Fitzgerald were found in flooded berthing compartments.

Link

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   

They're reporting all seven were found in the berthing compartments.
edit on 6/17/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

So it's like a fierce barking guard dog that's had its teeth pulled.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

They're reporting all seven were found in the berthing compartments.

No sightings in the water tended to suggest that tragedy. Sad. Going to be difficult on the families.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: violet

It's just as he said. They go in fast and hit hard. A Burke has the 5" gun, up to 90 missiles in vertical launch tubes (air defense, Tomahawk, or antisubmarine), Harpoon antiship missiles, torpedoes, and various smaller guns for use against small craft.

As he said, they were always designed for high speed to protect convoys. That means light armor to keep weight down, but you can pack quite a punch onto their hulls. With the radar, sonar, and electronics a Burke carries it's a deadly ship. But, hit any ship that size with something like this container ship and it's going to do a lot of damage.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   

I figured they would be found there, with it being that early in the morning and being sudden.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

The reports of sailors going overboard must have been false, they were trapped below decks.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: violet
a reply to: eriktheawful

So it's like a fierce barking guard dog that's had its teeth pulled.

Uh....no. Prior to the SALT agreement, the DDGs I served on carried tactical nukes. A special Terrier missile with a small yield warhead.

We should massively shoot planes out of the sky with expanding rod warheads, and while tied up in Charleston, SC, we could shoot planes out of the sky over Columbia, SC.
We carried 8 Harpoon missiles with enough explosive force to sink a aircraft carrier...and defeat it's CWIS system.
We could blow small boats out of the water or bombard a shoreline from up to 20 miles away.

Teeth pulled?

Hardly.
edit on 6/17/2017 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 02:02 AM
link   

So sad.

We will pray for them today.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 03:37 AM
link   
The biggest ship has the right of way a DDG can turn a lot faster then a container ship.

I wonder if it was something dumb like a radar set for 10 mile range and the bridge crew thought it was set for a 50 mile range.

The range setting on a radar repeater has caused a number of collisions over the years.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 03:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: ANNED
The biggest ship has the right of way a DDG can turn a lot faster then a container ship.

I wonder if it was something dumb like a radar set for 10 mile range and the bridge crew thought it was set for a 50 mile range.

The range setting on a radar repeater has caused a number of collisions over the years.

Aparently the freighter did a really sharp turn. I think they thought they were going to pass each other. All the missing sailors were found dead in flooded compartments. The captain was rushed for surgery still in critical condition. And now would be a good time for Trump to find a secretary of the navy. I think this shows the need for it

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join