It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: US Navy destroyer takes on water after collision off Japanese coast

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

...as neither vessel was 'Not under command or restricted in her ability to maneuver'.

I don't think that can be said here at this time. There was a strange set of maneuvers made by the cargo ship.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I suppose you didn't see this post.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   
The latest I heard was that the container ship turned around when heading to port.

Why the Fitz let itself get T-boned is the question.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: UncleDoc

originally posted by: violet
a reply to: Zaphod58
Yes I know the Crystal was a larger vessel.
It wasn't a torpedo in the sense that's what a naval ship might be on the lookout for.

Cargo ships don't have topedos. I don't think that destroyers even do either. This was one ship running into another.

Yes I'm aware. The point is it shouldn't be so easy to 'destroy' a US Destroyer should it??

It took a big hit from a non naval vessel is my point
edit on 17-6-2017 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Yes I know the Crystal was a larger vessel.
It wasn't a torpedo in the sense that's what a naval ship might be on the lookout for.

Cargo ships don't have topedos. I don't think that destroyers even do either. This was one ship running into another.

Yes I'm aware. The point is it shouldn't be so easy to 'destroy' a US Destroyer should it??

It took a big hit from a non naval vessel is my point

Unless built out of nerf that amount of force is going the heavily damage anything of that size.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: violet

What exactly do you think is going to happen when something that can weigh up to over 4 times the maximum weight of a destroyer hits it?

The container ship has a bulbous bow that protrudes slightly forward from the ship. That hit below the waterline, and the bow hit above the waterline. They were reported at 21 mph prior to impact. What should have happened to the destroyer?

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

We need to be sure of the time the events happened, as it looks like there's exactly one hour difference between the charts on marinetraffic.com and the events.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: violet

People make mistakes. Even well trained people.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
POST REMOVED BY STAFF
:

Chill out.

No need to be so hostile.
edit on Sat Jun 17 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   

We will see what was determined when the investigation comes out.

So far there has been zero speculation that either vessel was Not Under Command. If so this would be a newsworthy development.

Both Captains are still ultimately responsible here. My pure speculation would be the USS Fitzgerald is 60%, the freighter 40%.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy
The latest I heard was that the container ship turned around when heading to port.

Could have been intentional to try to make Trump look bad. He will get the blame for this somehow.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Could have been intentional to try to make Trump look bad. He will get the blame for this somehow.

Eh what?

Unless Trump was captain of either ship then no. It no way is he responsible or should be held responsible.

The people on the fireing line shluld be the captains of both vessels.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: UncleDoc

He got blamed a couple pages ago. Apparently him not filling key positions in Washington caused it.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Come again?

Not really sure where you would even get that idea.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Eh what?

Unless Trump was captain of either ship then no. It no way is he responsible or should be held responsible.

The people on the fireing line shluld be the captains of both vessels.

It's Donald Trump's Navy now. If the Navy does wrong, it must be Trump's fault

Read more: www.americanthinker.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   

I was reading american thinker, i tried to post the page, hope it comes through.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Most US naval ships from the 1950s on are not armored like the very old heavy cruisers or battleships were.

Hull is only a few inches of steel thick, and are not double hulled.

Superstructure is normally made from hardened aluminum not even a centimeter thick (though the angle irons are thicker).

Why?

Because after WW2, no one was going to be sinking ships using huge shells fired from a gun anymore. Instead, they'd be bombed, torpedoed, or even later: anti-ship missiles.

Destroyers are made for speed and quick acceleration. They were originally designed for this prior to WW2 so that they could chase subs, or get from one side of a convoy to the other side where a sub was spotted before the sub could move too far.

That's actually what the DDs were designed for: sub killing.

Later on with the advent of missiles, a new class of destroy, the DLG (later on to be DDG) was created, carrying anti-aircraft missiles and were designated as AAW platforms (Anti-Air Weapons).

The old class DDGs I was on, Coontz class carried 38 SAMs (surface to air missiles), a 5 inch gun, 8 Harpoon cruise missiles, 6 torpedoes, and a ASROC launcher.

Not much has changed. The Arleigh Burke class cares VL SAMS (vertical launch), Tomahawk/Harpoon cruise missiles, a 5 inch gun, CWIS (the R2D2 looking gattling gun) and 6 Mrk 46 or Mrk 50 torpedoes.

Still armed to the teeth.

But: again, built for speed, so no heavy armor or thick hulls, and think bulkheads on the super structure. Doesn't take much to sink one:

A well placed air dropped bomb. A anti-ship cruise missile. A HE warhead torpedo (detonates under the ship, lifting it up and breaking it's back), or a serious collision with a ship that has a LOT more mass at high speed (say a container cargo ship).

The US Navy's destroyers and cruisers are not tanks, and not make to take a pounding. They are quick ships designed to zip in and unleash holy hell on things.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

In this thread yes, in the news no.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   

And I thought *I* could get pedantic.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

And I thought *I* could get pedantic.

It's not fair how he gets the blame for everything, but oh well, most people see thru that kinda journalism is all I can hope.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join