It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: US Navy destroyer takes on water after collision off Japanese coast

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Salander
a reply to: Cygnis

Yes, ran into the destroyer, and had the right of way by rules of the sea, being the larger vessel.

I don't understand how the destroyer was not aware of the larger vessel?

That' been the general consensus since the beginning of this thread. We're all wondering the same thing. I fear it will be a really long time before we get closure on all this. It will take months before the official report comes out.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Yes, ran into the destroyer, and had the right of way by rules of the sea, being the larger vessel.

Maritime law doesn't care who the larger vessel was. It has to do with relative positions while underway. Look up burdened vessel and privileged vessel. The privileged vessel MUST maintain course and speed and the burdened vessel is to maneuver to avoid collision.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Do the men on watch wear some type of locator beacon for just this reason? I have seen some small devices that activate when they enter salt water.

No. Normally equipment like that is with the life jackets, and the only time those are being worn is they are doing something that has a high chance of ending up in the water (IE having to hang over the side of the ship, using the launches, etc).

Normally if weather conditions are rough enough to toss you from the deck, or get swept over, the weather decks are secured. You're not suppose to be out there and that includes the look outs.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I've seen a couple reports now saying the ACX Crystal made several unusual maneuvers before the collision. At least two fairly dramatic "course corrections" which seemed irregular. They were being talked about as 'deviations from their heading, and then fairly dramatic corrections back to their heading'. Nothing sinister, just very irregular.

Perhaps the Crystal was possibly experiencing problems with her steering gear or navigation equipment? Or, crew not paying attention?

This is a very busy shipping lane / area akin to that of Hong Kong or Singapore. Dramatic course corrections in an area such as this are recipe for disaster...during daylight hours and this was 0230L.

Also, interestingly, the ACX Crystal does not appear to have stopped to render any sort of aid to the Fitzgerald after the collision, at least not from what I've heard. Not sure what they could have done really, a cargo ship of that size, but they apparently didn't stop.

No conspiracy, just sharing some things I've heard today from some colleagues in the area.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: buddha
One of the US best radar detection ship!
So all the enemies of US need to do is use these Stealth ships to Ram them!
what Amazing fantastic future tec they have.
america is doomed.
I bet Putin is on the floor laughing!

Gets taken out by a Philippine container ship, that barely had any damage.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Guys, the "lowly" Phillipine cargo ship speared the Fitzgerald below the waterline, most likely with a bulbous bow on the front of the ship. She basically gored the destroyer. The damage to the Fitzgerald above the waterline is probably nothing in comparison to the damage below the waterline, which is likely tremendous.

It's probably fortunate they didn't break the Fitzgerald's keel, split her in half and sink her outright. This is no casual 'fender bender'. We're talking about some serious energy transfer here! And, when you factor in the resistance of the water on the port side of the Fitzgerald, it was most likely a spectacular collision!

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: violet

The container ship was significantly larger and heavier. The ACX Crystal is just short of 30,000 tons gross weight. An Fitzgerald displaces 9,000 long tons fully loaded, and about 7,000 empty.

Do you expect to see a lot of damage if you're in a car and hit a small animal?

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Make me wonder if the control issues listed on the cargo site (if real) after the collision was occurring before. if the site had that info then it must have been reported to some authority or the company.

Hopefully that will get answered.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Well that was stupid.

Not the first time a US destroyer has rammed another ship

Think you need better helmsman.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

They were the hitee, not the hitter. We would need better helmsmen if they were the hitter.
edit on 6/17/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

They were the hitee, not the hitter. We would need better helmsmen if they were the hitter.

Ok you need better people on watch.

I know ships dont turn on a dime, but come on you would of seen a giant ship like that comeing at you.

Someone didnt do there duty correctly and people have likely died because of it, not to mention millions of dollors of damage.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Now that I can agree with. A number of people screwed up for this to happen. On both ships.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Not much a big cargo carrier can do, they are not agile. It was destroyers fault undoubtedly. Maybe showing off or practicing how to pull alongside to board, i seen them do this before.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Cheeko

It's an extremely busy shipping lane. It wouldn't take much of a mistake for a collision to occur.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Most if not all experienced mariners will tell you no vessel has 'right of way'. Every captain must do whatever possible to avoid a collision, even breaking the 'rules of the road' to avoid imminent danger.

There are priviledged and burdened vessels, also called give way and stand on.

Only a vessel 'Not under command or restricted in her ability to maneuver' would be unable to maneuver to avoid a collision, they are the ultmate privileged vessel and all other vessels are burdened to stear clear.

Ultmately both captains are resonsible here as neither vessel was 'Not under command or restricted in her ability to maneuver'.

However the nature of freighters is they are 'Restricted in their ability to maneuver due to the nature of their job' but this is the open ocean and is not much of a factor here.

Rule of tonnage is not an official rule, more like common sense.
edit on 17-6-2017 by jrod because: Tonnage

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Yes I know the Crystal was a larger vessel.
It wasn't a torpedo in the sense that's what a naval ship might be on the lookout for.

edit on 17-6-2017 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cheeko

Not much a big cargo carrier can do, they are not agile. It was destroyers fault undoubtedly. Maybe showing off or practicing how to pull alongside to board, i seen them do this before.

I think your right either a drill or the helmsman playing. But either way a cargo ship takes 20 miles to turn nothing it could do. In fact even after the collision trying to stop that would sail it well away from the collision. Meaning they couldn't even render aid.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: violet
Yes I know the Crystal was a larger vessel.
It wasn't a torpedo in the sense that's what a naval ship might be on the lookout for.

Cargo ships don't have topedos. I don't think that destroyers even do either. This was one ship running into another.

(post by schuyler removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Looks more like the destroyer got rammed.
Shouldmt be so easy

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join