It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guilty Verdict in Teen 'Suicide-by-Text' Case

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
I was talking about the case. That's why your quibbles are irrelevant, are in direct contradiction to the statements of lawyers and the ACLU, and are factually inaccurate.

It doesn't matter if you were talking about the case or your pink granny panties, you stating that '"assisting suicide" is not illegal in Mass...' is wrong.

Eventually you'll come to terms with this. Or not.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I was talking about the case. That's why your quibbles are irrelevant, are in direct contradiction to the statements of lawyers and the ACLU, and are factually inaccurate.

It doesn't matter if you were talking about the case or your pink granny panties, you stating that '"assisting suicide" is not illegal in Mass...' is wrong.

Eventually you'll come to terms with this. Or not.

At least kept the scare quotes in for posterity.

Scare quotes, shudder quotes,[1][2] or sneer quotes[3] are quotation marks placed around a word or phrase to signal that a term is being used in a non-standard, ironic, or otherwise special sense.[4] Scare quotes may express that the author is using someone else's term, similar to preceding a phrase with the expression "so-called";[5] they may imply skepticism or disagreement, belief that the words are misused, or that the writer intends a meaning opposite to the words enclosed in quotes.[6]

But it's a shame you didn't pick up on it. Maybe next time you'll come to terms with it.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

You: '"assisting suicide" is not illegal in Mass...'

The Law: Nothing in this chapter shall be construed to constitute, condone, authorize, or approve suicide or mercy killing or to permit any affirmative or deliberate act to end one's own life other than to permit the natural process of dying.

You fought the law and the law won.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Scare quotes:

Scare quotes, shudder quotes,[1][2] or sneer quotes[3] are quotation marks placed around a word or phrase to signal that a term is being used in a non-standard, ironic, or otherwise special sense.[4] Scare quotes may express that the author is using someone else's term, similar to preceding a phrase with the expression "so-called";[5] they may imply skepticism or disagreement, belief that the words are misused, or that the writer intends a meaning opposite to the words enclosed in quotes.[6]

Even after showing you what a scare quote is, and it's function, you continue to misuse it. Still haven't figured it out?

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 07:50 PM
link   
if only more people were responsible for their words, instead of making excuses like children and blaming everything that happens as a result of those words on the other person, we might get somewhere as a species.

you might have the right to free speech but not if it harms other people carelessly, you as a person have a responsibility to not abuse the rights you were given by the law otherwise it will be taken away from you one day, you acting carelessly just makes people stop taking your rights seriously and they will demand restrictions until one day your right is banned, much like what is happening with the right to bear arms.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Egging someone on to commit suicide... Isn't that spiritual warfare? Pretty interesting case...

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I understand Les' point about giving power to words. But wouldn't it be blurry if it was a mentally ill person?

edit on 6/19/2017 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Even after showing you what a scare quote is, and it's function, you continue to misuse it. Still haven't figured it out?

Let me make it simpiler for you since this seems to be a challenge.

Let's remove the quotes, now answer this even more basic question:

X is not illegal in Mass...

X being whatever it was that you were claiming was not illegal. Please tell us what X equals?

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:16 AM
link   
This whole case is made up. People with vaginas don't do bad things. They can only be sassy, successful, liberated businesswomen

or victims.

They're never the bad guy. Ever.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Murdered by words.
This is a valid idea now?
I hope you all realize the implications this has to further lose anything resembling "free speech".
By the same token then should not everyone who called for the murder of President Trump also be tried?
Hell, they aren't even arrested for it.
Madonna wanted to bomb the White House and she's still free.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
I understand Les' point about giving power to words. But wouldn't it be blurry if it was a mentally ill person?

Half the US population is mentally ill.
Let's not make the law blurry on their account, please.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:52 AM
link   

I think the problem may be that you're not using big enough words, and not using them often enough.

Try that, maybe? Everybody will be suitably impressed, I'm sure.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Let me make it simpiler for you since this seems to be a challenge.

Let's remove the quotes, now answer this even more basic question:

X is not illegal in Mass...

X being whatever it was that you were claiming was not illegal. Please tell us what X equals?

Why would you remove the quotes? So you can continue to stick your square peg in a round hole?

I've already quoted numerous lawyers to illustrate what I was talking about, what I was referring to, in order to make it "simpiler" for you. And your response? "You're funny."

Again:

Unlike 40 other states, Massachusetts has no law against assisted suicide, and the prosecution appeared to go beyond the scope of the existing law, said Sharon Beckman, a law professor at Boston College.

“Before this case, the law says that a person is responsible for their own suicide,” Beckman said. “That is the default common law and applies no matter what the other person said or whether they handed them the weapon.”

Again:

There is no law in Massachusetts making it a crime to encourage someone, or even to persuade someone, to commit suicide. Yet Ms. Carter has now been convicted of manslaughter, based on the prosecution’s theory that, as a 17-year-old girl, she literally killed Mr. Roy with her words. This conviction exceeds the limits of our criminal laws and violates free speech protections guaranteed by the Massachusetts and U.S. Constitutions.

Again:

One example, she said, was a Minnesota case where a defendant posing as a depressed woman online urged people to kill themselves in a mental health forum. He was charged and convicted in two deaths under the state’s assisted suicide ban. The conviction was struck down on appeal, and the defendant was retried and convicted under a new, narrower statute, Johnson said.

Massachusetts has no law banning assisted suicide, and Johnson said it appears prosecutors are trying Carter for that offense, based on her texts.

yet you linked to a wikipedia article on physician-assisted suicide, which I was not talking about. Do you get it yet? What does X equal? It cannot get any "simpiler".
edit on 19-6-2017 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I think the problem may be that you're not using big enough words, and not using them often enough.

Try that, maybe? Everybody will be suitably impressed, I'm sure.

I'd be fine enough with just the knowledge of simple punctuation.

Here's a big word for you. Have you ever heard of a dingleberry? Suitable for hanging on but not much else?
edit on 19-6-2017 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

At what point do we charge them with manslaughter for using free speech? People always egg on people who threaten to commit suicide on 4chan, some going as far to give instructions. And yet I never heard of any investigation into that.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

All that blather and you still could not answer a sooper simple question.

X is not illegal in Massachusetts. What is X?

You said it, you tell us.

Pssst....

Current law regarding assisted suicide
Assisted suicide, including doctor-prescribed suicide, is a common law crime in Massachusetts. Sourcery

Gee, I wonder why the need to clarify that it means both? Hmmmmmmmm.

edit on 19-6-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: Armaments 2:9-21 And the people did feast upon the lambs, and sloths, and carp, and anchovies, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats...

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Pamela Smart talked her teen lover into killing her husband.

She went to jail.

Pretty much equals if I can talk someone into killing someone else for me? I can talk them in to killing themselves.

Many cases support this - along with the LAW.

And the opinion of the LAW is all that matters here.

peace

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   

You've tried everything but found me statute that criminalizes encouraging suicide, or "assisting suicide" (not "assisted suicide" as you accused me of saying). That should be the easiest thing to do given that the laws are written down. And why won't you?

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

That's all Charles Manson did..and he is never getting out.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   

You've tried everything but found me statute that criminalizes encouraging suicide, or "assisting suicide" (not "assisted suicide" as you accused me of saying). That should be the easiest thing to do given that the laws are written down. And why won't you?

We are not talking about encouraging suicide, since what you posted was 'assisting suicide'. That action is illegal in Massachusetts, despite your claim to the contrary.

I know as a foreigner our laws may confuse you, help me help you to understand. Here is the statute that indicates all forms of assisted suicide are illegal in that state:

Code Section
Ch. 201D §12

Nothing in this chapter shall be construed to constitute, condone, authorize, or approve suicide or mercy killing or to permit any affirmative or deliberate act to end one's own life other than to permit the natural process of dying.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join