It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guilty Verdict in Teen 'Suicide-by-Text' Case

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   

The woman who urged her boyfriend to kill himself when they were both teenagers is guilty of involuntary manslaughter.
source

Involuntary? What?

Carter, now 20, was 17 when she sent dozens of text messages encouraging Roy to go through with his suicide, including telling him to get back in his truck as it filled with carbon monoxide gas and he exited, frightened. The Massachusetts teen was ultimately found dead of carbon monoxide poisoning in the truck in a store parking lot in July 2014.

So because she was on antidepressants it's ruled involuntary? That's insane. She egged him on 'dozens' of times...dozens.

There are those who say she shouldn't be convicted at all as she was n't physically with him at the time.

I'm pretty sure this day in age with instant communication technology? That doesn't fly.

Her sentence could range from probation to 20 years behind bars.

We'll see.

I wonder what his families opinions are?

peace
edit on 3355Friday201713 by silo13 because: red emphasis

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

I remember this story and also think "involuntary" manslaughter because of her antidepressant medications is total BS. If anything punishment should have been more harsh. Sad to think a young man is dead and this girl played an active role in that - he very well might be alive if she hadn't done what she did. Those text messages are very telling... she's a psychopath

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I watched the verdict play out live on TV today.

The main points were:

• she helped create the toxic environment (the car with the tailpipe pumped into the cab)
  • She told him where to go to do it (to a secluded area of the mall parking lot)
  • when he changed his mind and got out of the vehicle , she told him repeatedly to get back in)
  • she later admitted in a txt to a friend she was responsible and knew what she was doing
  • she requested and had the telephone numbers of the family, which were a txt away from helping him, but sh never used them

All the pieces of the puzzle, put together, create a picture of her knowingly and actively causing this mans' death when she had ample opportunities to stop it. She did not take a passive role in his suicide. She took a very active part.

The verdict, IMO, was correct and just in this case.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   

This is just stupid across the board.

Is she a dirtbag? Yes.
But the dumbass who killed himself, did so of his own accord. She didn't have a gun to his head. They were fricken text messages.

Maybe have her do a bunch of community service, a couple thousand hours at a teen outreach center or something.

But manslaughter? Stupid stupid stupid

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Listening to the text messages is horrific. Anyone who listens to that and calls it involuntary is insane.

Wow - talk about goading him on!

'Not finding a place to do it isn't an excuse!'

When you get back from the beach you gotta do it. You're determined. It's the best time.

I can't listen to the rest of them.

peace

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   

This should be a good example for adults as to how our lack of morality and culture has turned into an ugly monster that most likely is too grown to be put down.

Look at the narcissism of grown ass adults that have the me me me attitude and the violence being not only programmed but promoted by our own elected officials and 24/7 on the BOOB Tube!

For some odd reason I truly feel sorry for this young lady. She actually at one point volunteered to go to counseling with this young troubled man, but he refused. I think he drove her crazy and she just got to the point HIS narcissistic behavior of not getting what he wanted meant suicide was the answer?

Is this what every child deserves a trophy created? Perhaps not entirely, but it sure as hell needs to be taken a good hard look at, if it isn't already too late....

Anyhow a message to the so called grown ups out there in the world. "Are you proud of what we created? Was losing our moral compass as a society worth it?"?

Just my opinion on it......

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

This is just stupid across the board.

Is she a dirtbag? Yes.
But the dumbass who killed himself, did so of his own accord. She didn't have a gun to his head. They were fricken text messages.

Maybe have her do a bunch of community service, a couple thousand hours at a teen outreach center or something.

But manslaughter? Stupid stupid stupid

It was also stupid of her to waive her right to a jury trial. I don't think 12 people would agree on a guilty verdict.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

They were fricken text messages.

Where she clearly provoked him dozens and dozens of times.

He got out of the truck seaking air.

She convinced him to get back in.

She could hear him coughing and choking and the generator.

She continued to egg him on her recklessness unpardonable.

That's murder.

peace

edit on 4715Friday201713 by silo13 because: spelling

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
So is this precedent then?

If you're on antidepressants, nothing is really your fault?

Guess I'll go get a script so my social accountability level will drop to near zero.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I have no problem with this, she told a friend she knew she pushed him into it... If you think what your doing is wrong it probably is.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
The main points were:

• she helped create the toxic environment (the car with the tailpipe pumped into the cab)
  • She told him where to go to do it (to a secluded area of the mall parking lot)
  • when he changed his mind and got out of the vehicle , she told him repeatedly to get back in)
  • she later admitted in a txt to a friend she was responsible and knew what she was doing
  • she requested and had the telephone numbers of the family, which were a txt away from helping him, but sh never used them

Thank you - I was just looking for the main bullet points.

And agreed. Murder she wrote. No pun intended.

peace
edit on 4009Friday201713 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   
This is a dangerous president. She is charged with manslaughter for no more than texting on a phone.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope
No more than texting on the phone?

FAR more than 'texting' on the phone.

peace

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   

No more than texting on the phone?

FAR more than 'texting' on the phone.

False. The objective fact is she was texting on a phone, and she is charged for manslaughter is if she poisoned the man with carbon monoxide herself.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
This is a dangerous president. She is charged with manslaughter for no more than texting on a phone.

it is disingenuous of you to minimize this case to "just a text on a phone". It was much more than that if you took the time to actually know the details of the case instead of spouting off an uniformed one-liner. She took an active role, as active as if he was there, personally with him at the time. There was no difference.

Your post makes it sound like she was walking by and said "go kill yourself" then walked away.

This was FAR from that scenario....I hope you take the time to review the details before responding again with ignorance of the case.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Way more complicated than that Les..... He was sitting in his truck with carbon monoxide rolling in, he started to get scared and got out of the truck and she told him to get back in.

The whole damn issue is a tragedy and I think it is a societal issue, Big Pharm issue (I didn't realize the kid was on SSRI's all the girl needed to do was call a suicide hotline?) But then again I am a whole lot older and have a lot more life experience to think these youth would know what I know......

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

it is disingenuous of you to minimize this case to "just a text on a phone". It was much more than that if you took the time to actually know the details of the case instead of spouting off an uniformed one-liner. She took an active role, as active as if he was there, personally with him at the time. There was no difference.

Your post makes it sound like she was walking by and said "go kill yourself" then walked away.

This was FAR from that scenario....I hope you take the time to review the details before responding again with ignorance of the case.

It's not only disingenuous, but completely false, completely superstitious, that this is manslaughter. I hope you take the time to view reality without the lens of your fevered feelings.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Way more complicated than that Les..... He was sitting in his truck with carbon monoxide rolling in, he started to get scared and got out of the truck and she told him to get back in.

Doesn't matter. It was suicide. The man died by his own hand, by his own choices, not hers.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   

It's not only disingenuous, but completely false, completely superstitious, that this is manslaughter. I hope you take the time to view reality without the lens of your fevered feelings.

I have no feeling on this case. That is yet another falsehood you assumed. The law disagrees with you here. The law in this case was correctly enforced. She was proven to be culpable based upon established law. Seems you are the one here spouting off based upon feelings.

As for the superstitious comment, I really do not know where you are going with that to be honest.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Did she kill him? No? Then sorry, it is not manslaughter. Did he kill himself? Yes? Then it is suicide. And you blame me for spouting falsehoods.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join