It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how many people in here tag(graffiti) or used to?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   
im asking because when i was young i used to Tag a lot of things because i saw it as fun, and i got a rush, also i look at it as art. Over the years I have stopped, but Lately i have been seeing some of my old stuff. So i was wondering who here tags or used to and if You did or do, did you belong to a crew or did you do it independently? Please dont say anything about it being illegal, because it Doesnt really hurt anyone and atleast it aint doing drugs or something.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I didn't think of it as tagging then (1980's), but I used to draw/spray paint the same little evil cartoon cow face everywhere in my misplaced teen angst.

Best was hood of my friends car.

But everyone knew that design was me, or my "Kilroy" I suppose.

Got pics of yours? I don't.

There's no photographic evidence I even exist. By design.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by phantompatriot
Please dont say anything about it being illegal, because it Doesnt really hurt anyone and atleast it aint doing drugs or something.

Barring an actual crime, a person doing drugs only affects themselves. To destroy someone elses property is always an attack on someone else. What one does to themselves is their own business as long as they keep it to themselves, but how would you feel if someone spray painted some obsenity on the side of your mother's house. Would it be 'kool' then?

What the hell is wrong with kids these days? When I was young, I lived in chaos and self-destruction, but I never bothered anyone else with it. Even the Mad have some consideration.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   
well most people that used to be into graffiti take that into consideration, i never did any private property everything i tagged was all public city or goverment property but these days defacing goverement property is not a very good thing to do lol.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by phantompatriot
well most people that used to be into graffiti take that into consideration, i never did any private property everything i tagged was all public city or goverment property but these days defacing goverement property is not a very good thing to do lol.

S it cost our tax dollars to paint over it or fix it! I'm with you Jonna, I may of messed up myself, but I never ruined private of public property! I just don't see the ruch or fun of messing up someone else's stuff, and if I would caught one of my kids doing it.....big trouble....

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Agreed. Do whatever you want to your own body or your own property, but other people may not be as fond of your "art" as you are. Forcing it on others by defacing their property, not to mention making them pay the cost involved in then removing it, is just rude, non-productive, and probably bad karma.

More and more the lack of respect in our culture astounds me. That is what this seems to be a symptom of. The simple act of considering how your own actions might affect others is one of the hallmarks of civilized behavior and we are just losing it.

Hey, if your "art" is any good, why put it where someone is going to exchange negative vibes with it? Put it on some canvas and sell it to someone. Much more positive energy involved in that, for you and whoever you share your art with.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   
well its not something im into anymore anyways, i did it when i was young, but i tagged some basketball courts and things of that nature and most people thought it made the park look better and more attractive.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 01:32 AM
link   
When I was in the UK the local council actually asked taggers to paint the walls of an underpass (no naughty words accepted of course). It did brighten up an otherwise pretty bland area.

Personally I've never done it - I have neither the ability nor the inclination.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 03:53 AM
link   
You guys remember this?
cainings in Singapore

A tad extreme. Punishment should be cleaning up every tag in a square mile.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
When I was in the UK the local council actually asked taggers to paint the walls of an underpass (no naughty words accepted of course). It did brighten up an otherwise pretty bland area.

Now that is turning a negative into a positive, and an example of the way such creative energies should be channeled. I'm not saying that some taggers aren't talented. I've seen some really intricate work on a few trains, but that talent should be directed rather than used to mark gang territory or denote disrespect for someone by defacing his property.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Here in Louisville they had art students do a lot of the underpasses and other areas.....looks very nice and unique. I don't think they wanted to award those that defame other's property with the project, and I completely agree!

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky

Yeah, my University had a steam tunnel area for pedestrain traffic under roads where they encouraged it. Some was quite good art. But the frats would always ruin it.

Nice cyclical approach though. Always changing. We had a wall in our garage (college apt) we let people tag at parties too.

My last house was tagged when I bought it. An old loft in downtown Atlanta. Inside walls spraypainted by a fella named "Gorgeous George."

Left it up and everything. Brick walls. What can ya do?

Named a cat after him.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I would never tag. i hate the tagginh all over the city...the gang marking type of tagging....

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cherish
I would never tag. i hate the tagginh all over the city...the gang marking type of tagging....

Same here... I know a wack of people that used to "tag" but that was when they were in high school, some did it to be "creative" ( if you wanna call it that) and others did it to gain a sense of individuality or the " I am somebody" idea...

Of course they would never mention that but it's from observation and listening to them talk which brang me to my conclusion.

They would call eachother up and ask if they 'saw' their art, or they would make plans to go out and tag certain targets they planned, then admire their work, like it gave them a hardon or something...

My opinion on the subject; tagging public property isn't cool, it makes everything look dirty, abused, and neglected... Plus it's ignorant.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
People don't know about the secrets of doing graffiti..and I'm not about to expose them. But i will say this, it is a representation of freedom and artistic/cultural freedom..something we don't have in the streets of our cities. I rather look at a mesh of colors, then brown and white splotches of paint

new topics

top topics

join