It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Otto Warmbier - Severe Brain Damage

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   
UVA student, Otto Warmbier, whom had been imprisoned in NK and recently released has been diagnosed by US doctors as having severe brain damage and is in a "persistent vegetative state".

Doctors: Ex-North Korea Detainee Otto Warmbier - Severe Brain Damage

Doctors state:

This pattern of brain injury is usually seen as result of cardiopulmonary arrest where blood supply to (the) brain is inadequate for a period of time, resulting in the death of brain tissue

I doubt this is as a result of "botulism" as stated by the North Koreans. Sounds to me more like he may have hung himself and the North Koreans found him and cut him down before he was completely dead. Then they probably didn't know what to do next except for hope he recovered so they wouldn't have his death on their watch.

edit on 6/16/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Or else, the brain damage is the result of beatings he received by NK guards.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Yes asphyxiation came to mind immediately, either by own hand or torture. Very sad

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I'd actually be surprised if he even knew Obama was no longer president and Trump was.

In the last interview I saw with him he didn't appear too stable, in my opinion. You could tell he was 'programmed' to say what he said. His eyes were lifeless.

You could tell, even at his televised "trial", he was just a kid, who did kid stuff, in a big boy's world. Cutting down souvenirs, especially ones of political nature, in NK of all places, is not the brightest thing for an adult to do. During his mock trail you could see his demeanor change almost immediately. He strode in all confident like it was some kind of joke or something and appeared to think they'd just let him go. Then, when they handed down the sentence and lead him away, sobbing, you could see the reality soaking in to his juvenile mind.

My guess would be he just figured there was no hope of him surviving 15 years so he decided to just end it all by hanging himself. The NK's found him, cut him down, and the rest is pretty much history.

Pretty sad story all the way around. Shame.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

I guess that's a possibility, though strangulation is not really one of NK's tactics that I am aware of. They usually opt for more violent forms of torture.

The medical reports from the article seem to suggest there were no outward signs of major physical trauma.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Doctors tests have since found no trace of botulinum bacteria

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I tend to think it was probably the result of trauma as well.

I do wish his family would be a little more careful about what they're saying. I get they're in "We got our son back" mode and they're letting out all this anger and frustration at NK, that I certainly understand them having. But things they say may impact efforts to get the other Americans back.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Screw that!! They should be absolutely UNLOADING on NK with both barrels! NK had a responsibility to notify the US when the severe health issues cropped up (whatever the cause), and they failed to do so. In fact, they kept it secret even. This is inexcusable, and the family has every right to come completely unhinged in the media at NK.

There should be no impact on future prisoners other than to force NK into notifying the US (or whatever country) next time, in a more timely manner. NK kept it secret because they were afraid they'd 'lose face' in the public eye if they said anything. They need to be taught a swift lesson that the blowback is 2x is bad when you keep something secret.

edit on 6/16/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

(post by Christosterone removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   
OK, I didn't read the article carefully enough to note the evidence of strangulation. I agree with you in leaning toward this being a suicide attempt that NK is covering up with their unlikely botulism story.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Screw that!! They should be absolutely UNLOADING on NK with both barrels! NK had a responsibility to notify the US when the severe health issues cropped up (whatever the cause), and they failed to do so. In fact, they kept it secret even. This is inexcusable, and the family has every right to come completely unhinged in the media at NK.

There should be no impact on future prisoners other than to force NK into notifying the US (or whatever country) next time, in a more timely manner. NK kept it secret because they were afraid they'd 'lose face' in the public eye if they said anything. They need to be taught a swift lesson that the blowback is 2x is bad when you keep something secret.

Yeah in a perfect world, you'd be right. In the real world NK is a very sensitive and childish regime, which is why the family had to watch what they said and did for the past year. They're letting it all go now, and like I said I can't really blame them, I just hope it has no consequences for the other families that have loved ones there.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 09:25 AM
link   

They did all sorts of CT scans and MRIs, not obvious trauma, past or present, besides the brain damage caused by prolonged asphyxiation cutting oxygen to the brain. Did he maybe try to kill himself? I can't imagine NK wanted him dead or even hurt as he was a bargaining chip.

So pissed for this family. So sad for him.

Something must be done about NK, short of war. But what?
edit on 6/16/2017 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   
If it were asphyxiation by hanging, wouldn't there be some rope marks on his neck? Seems to me that constriction sufficient to nearly kill him would leave long-lasting bruises.

The first thing that I thought of was waterboarding or something similar. Executed properly, it does not cause asphyxiation, but executed with abandon it could.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack

Unfortunately, the previous administrations, Dem and Republican, have let it get to a point where there's not much we can do short of war, unless China steps up and handles it. This is why sit back and wait isn't a good strategy. Situations with gangster regimes like NK don't just get better on their own.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

originally posted by: kosmicjack

Unfortunately, the previous administrations, Dem and Republican, have let it get to a point where there's not much we can do short of war, unless China steps up and handles it. This is why sit back and wait isn't a good strategy. Situations with gangster regimes like NK don't just get better on their own.

It does no matter what China does if the former[still] communist Russia increases oil trade....which it has done since china rolled back much of its fossil fuel trade after xi and trumps meeting(s)...

War is imminent and this is a worthy foe...not like the surrendering cultists of the Middle East...these are the genetic cousins of the mighty Japanese...
And the fact NK stymied the USA in the decade following WWII is an amazing feat...

This will be a very brutal war and hopefully one where we don't see nukes dropped on South Korea or Japan...

Since the cessation of battle in the Korean theatre we have maintained a minimum of 35k at-the-ready forces in South Korea with an additional 10-20k coming in and out depending on threat...

War is coming and America will win as we should have done the first time...but it will be brutal...and many lives will be lost...

-Chris

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

There's a thread on this already so I don't wanna get too deep into it here. I'll just say I do wish we could make them pay for what they did to that poor kid.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   

What they did to him was an act of war.

-Chris

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone

What they did to him was an act of war.

-Chris

No it wasn't. He committed a crime on North Korean soil and paid the North Korean price for it.

##snipped##
edit on Fri Jun 16 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: eNumbra

I don't think anyone is advocating for Americans to be able to commit crimes in foreign countries with no consequences. Most of the outrage is about the excessive charges, probable forced confession, excessive sentencing, and the condition in which he was returned and how he got that way. Their explanation for his condition appears to be bogus, according to the doctors.

I will agree it doesn't technically constitute an act of war. Just don't pretend people outraged over this are abdicating personal responsibility.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: eNumbra

No it wasn't. He committed a crime on North Korean soil and paid the North Korean price for it.

##snipped##

No, sir, it is not.

He stole a poster. He was convicted and sentenced to 15 years. At that point, it is taking responsibility and while I believe it behooves the US to seek extradition because the punishment is severe, he did violate the law of a sovereign country and is responsible for serving his term.

But when the government either allows for or causes severe brain damage, then withholds medical treatment, directly resulting in severe brain damage, that was not his sentence! That is a crime against humanity, and I can personally understand how others see it as a literal act of war. A substantial part of the boy's brain is dead. The person he used to be is likely dead... only his body likely survived.

This is that compassion and understanding and tolerance your party speaks of? No wonder the Democrats are losing races wholesale!

TheRedneck

edit on Fri Jun 16 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join