It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yellowstone Quake Swarm Ongoing- Produces M4.5 Quake

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

Here's a screen shot of the last 7 day's. Just southeast of this swarm there is another little swarm. Is that where there is uplift is also?

edit on 16-6-2017 by crappiekat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: crappiekat

In a nutshell, yes, even though this is slight uplift and nothing on the order of what we saw at Mount St. Helens before it erupted.

The red square is where the GPS are showing this slight uplift, and includes Norris. The two quake swarms to the left (west) of Norris is apparently what they are more concerned with. Still, my suspicions continue about these rock break quakes. And I just saw a very slight signature at YMC in spectro that has me a little bit...well.. not good.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   
And just a minute ago, now a second weird signature. This is an unusual looking quake, and headed towards a long period event. I would not classify it as such quite, but yeah, troubling. Hoping I don't see any more of these:

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   

I hope you don't either. We have friends who recently moved to Wyoming.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueAmerican
And just a minute ago, now a second weird signature. This is an unusual looking quake, and headed towards a long period event. I would not classify it as such quite, but yeah, troubling. Hoping I don't see any more of these:

Do you believe an eruption will occur in the near future?

If so, is it possible this won't be on the same level as what we saw in "2012" but more in line with Mt. St. Helens?

I can't believe that was nearly 40 years ago.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: dianajune

I try not to "believe" anything for certain. I pretty much just try to go where the evidence leads. I am reporting this as honestly as I can, trying not to delve into crazy speculation of earth-ending eruptions, and just go, as I said, where the evidence leads. If I think something looks weird, I'll post it. Otherwise, so far this is just another YS swarm. Back in 2010, the Madison Plateau swarm ended up being more than 10,000 separate events. This could go on for days, weeks or months. No one knows.

It's kind of like asking me if I "believe" an asteroid is going to hit us tomorrow. I don't know for certain, but I doubt it. And yes, even if YS did erupt, the chances are it would be a small to mid size eruption. That still doesn't mean I believe it. It is simple statistics. It seems that the bigger that something is, the fewer and more infrequent they are in nature.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 12:29 AM
link   
The tilt meters went offline and we have helium present and building

The live cams are fake too, now
edit on 17-6-2017 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Tagging to keep up with thread.

2nd.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 01:24 AM
link   
i don't want yellowstone to erupt anytime on my or childrens childrens childrens life time if i understand it right if yellowstone went off in any kinda major way it would make mt st. helens look like a mosquito fart. damage would not be localized to general area around it but worldwide. with the amount of ash that would enter the atmosphere. i lived in wisconsibn when st .helen went up we had ash falling like snow.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

It would devastate the entirety of North America if it did. I've been keeping half an eye on this for a while, it's a concern for a lot of people. There seems to be a whole lot of volcanic activity in several parts of the world only just in the last few years while there seems to be more lately.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Ok so, in the last several hours, both the frequency and magnitude of quakes are smaller. So now if all of a sudden, another large one occurs, like last time after a lull, then I am going to be doubly suspicious that this is magma on the move and not solely tectonic. Otherwise, this might just die down and fizzle into nothing. We shall see. Have not observed anything more with weird looking signatures, so at least that is good for the moment.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 02:54 AM
link   
It would be interesting to chart the seismic activity over the last... 100 years lets say to try and predict any tipping points, the 7.9s for instance. Each large magnitude quake increases the pool of magma within the caldera. I believe an eruption 70.000 years ago increased the caldera's size today to a yet more record breaking size... Having studied the data myself for my own reasons (being prepared) I'd like to see what the experts or people on ATS who actively study the zone and its swarms think and if any conclusion about eventual collapse of the crust above the now record breaking magma chamber(more like chasm).

p.s S&F

edit on 17-6-2017 by DreamerOracle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 07:03 AM
link   

I am going on vacation out that way this week. I think Its safe. Thanks for the heads up though. Good to know you're there and you care enough to share your experience.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   

I wish you folks would get up to speed on something, here. There will be something like 70 volcanic eruptions between any Super Volcanic ones. I still wonder if Demaris Hot Spring at Cody, WYO. is from a previously unknown ash flow, something like the valley of ten thousand smokes monument, in Alaska. The big Cascadia quake in 1750, might be a good place to start looking from.

When Mt. St. Helens blew in 1980, it shook up Salt Lake City, UTAH. But we never heard much about those new fault scarps.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: carpooler

Even if something pops out there, it doesn't have to be the "the Big One." Yellowstone has produced much smaller eruptions too. So if something goes, it would most likely be a smaller event. Odds that we're witnessing the beginning of the build up to D-Day are likely worse than winning Powerball.
edit on 17-6-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueAmerican

I try not to "believe" anything for certain. I pretty much just try to go where the evidence leads. I am reporting this as honestly as I can, trying not to delve into crazy speculation of earth-ending eruptions, and just go, as I said, where the evidence leads. If I think something looks weird, I'll post it. Otherwise, so far this is just another YS swarm. Back in 2010, the Madison Plateau swarm ended up being more than 10,000 separate events. This could go on for days, weeks or months. No one knows.

It's kind of like asking me if I "believe" an asteroid is going to hit us tomorrow. I don't know for certain, but I doubt it. And yes, even if YS did erupt, the chances are it would be a small to mid size eruption. That still doesn't mean I believe it. It is simple statistics. It seems that the bigger that something is, the fewer and more infrequent they are in nature.

Wouldn't it be great if there was a way to accurately predict eruptions and quakes? I've seen websites that claim this is possible, but the information I found was very unreliable.

Re. your other post - hopefully the downward trend of the frequency & strength of the quakes will continue. I'll be keeping track of earthquake stats over the next couple of days.

Your posts are very interesting. Thank you!

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: proteus33
i don't want yellowstone to erupt anytime on my or childrens childrens childrens life time if i understand it right if yellowstone went off in any kinda major way it would make mt st. helens look like a mosquito fart. damage would not be localized to general area around it but worldwide. with the amount of ash that would enter the atmosphere. i lived in wisconsibn when st .helen went up we had ash falling like snow.

I remember that eruption. I'm on the East Coast so I didn't have to put up with that "snow."

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Even if something pops out there, it doesn't have to be the "the Big One." Yellowstone has produced much smaller eruptions too. So if something goes, it would most likely be a smaller event. Odds that we're witnessing the beginning of the build up to D-Day are likely worse than winning Powerball.

I'd much rather win Powerball.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   
In August, there will be a total eclipse over Yellowstone. Technically, it will be over the southern end of the park, but since the caldera is about 40km wide, I'm sure part of it will pass direct over the volcano.

If anyone, preferably a Woody Harrelson in the 2012 movie type character, is planning on visiting the park in August to view the eclipse, let me know and maybe you could live stream your experience. I'd go, but I can't. I'm not saying the park will blow up on that day, am I? nah....

I'm sure these swarms are not the volcano recharging itself with magma. It's not like the previous swarms showed a pattern of fluid movement. No, wait they did show fluids.

What's curious about these new sites, it the small series of four earthquakes near the fishing bridge at the north end of Yellowstone Lake. That is near the site of the 2008/2009 swarm. And these large series are near the other big swarm. The caldera is not rising. Or is it? I am going to watch and see if there is any uplift in the coming days.

Oh, and this is just some earthquake news in general, snowfalls in California can cause earthquakes. More proof of how water is a key ingredient when studying earthquakes. so, here's some links

www.space.com...

sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I would think the methane may be a problem

Scientists using the world's largest array of seismic sensors have mapped a deep-Earth area, covering 700,000 sq miles (1.8 million sq km).
This is around the size of Mexico, and researchers say it has the potential to cause untold environmental damage.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

edit on 17-6-2017 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join