It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University of Michigan to offer free tuition for Michigan residents with income less than $65K

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 12:09 AM
link   
If everyone has a degree, all the degrees will be worthless.

Case in point, I have 3 friends who were fortunate enough to have their college paid for. An average of 7 years later, they graduated with their degrees in Psychology plus all the extra debt they went into when mommy and daddy decided to stop paying.

Meanwhile, I didn't have a thing paid for on my behalf, decided to work instead of going to college ( I do hold a GED though ), and built up my net worth. Fast forward to now, my net worth is more than all 3 combined, the only debt I have is a mortgage, and I still bring in more than each of my friends individually per year. My "family income" is more than enough where I wouldn't go to college for free if I lived in MI. Heck, my wife holds a Finance degree that she doesn't use and I make 15k more a year than her.

College is largely a scam. It's only useful if you go into it with a plan for your degree and a plan to pay for said degree.

That said, I do need to go back to school and earn at least a bachelors so that I can promote further in my career. You better bet that everything will be planned to a "t".

Government shouldn't be funding education for "the few". Either fund it for everyone or not at all.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 01:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: cynicalheathen
If everyone has a degree, all the degrees will be worthless.

Then let's throw away the degree system of higher than though-ness.
No more gold stars on your mental fridge, to feel you're better than the neighbors...

And see a more profound system, where everyone gets educated fully from the start.

Meritocracy maybe?...

Guess we'd need to wipe the slate before that potential paradise occurs though...
edit on 6/16/2017 by prevenge because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2  3   >>

join