It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University of Michigan to offer free tuition for Michigan residents with income less than $65K

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Well, your child can still live at home while going to school, even if you don't claim them as a dependent.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

My youngest son is 14, in 4H and Civil Air Patrol.

He's already got scholarships lined up for college.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 10:19 PM
link   

I didn't know that. I thought they would still need to report family income. Do you need to claim them if they are still under your insurance?

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 10:23 PM
link   

University of Michigan to offer free tuition for Michigan residents with income less than $65K

There goes the neighborhood.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

I didn't know that. I thought they would still need to report family income. Do you need to claim them if they are still under your insurance?

They only need to report family income if their parents claim them as a dependent on their taxes. My oldest (25) is still on our insurance and we haven't claimed her as a dependent in at least five years.
edit on 15-6-2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Disagree. Higher learning is a privilege (which I don't necessarily agree with) at the moment. Why does one who makes 64k/year get a free ride while one who makes 66k/year doesn't? For starters, the one who makes 66k/year is paying more for the same education as last year.

Here's the thing I haven't been thinking about...a parent can stop claiming their child as a dependent and save a lot of money on tuition (at the University of Michigan) by doing that. What 18-20 year old makes $64,000/year?

It would not be difficult or unreasonable to get around the $64,000/year threshold by cutting your child free from being a dependent when they entered college.

Not sure that loophole exists. My partner had to fill out paperwork for her oldest daughter (even though she had already moved out and was living on her own) to prove that we did not exceed the cut off. She also had to get proof her father's low income. They didn't care that she lived with neither parent. They wanted proof that she didn't have family that could pay for her education.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Khaleesi

Odd. I haven't claimed my oldest as a dependent in years.

There's nothing that says you have to claim a child as a dependent on your taxes that I know of.

edit on 15-6-2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Then I misunderstood. Thank you.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Odd. I haven't claimed my oldest as dependent in years.

There's nothing that says you have to claim a child as a dependent on your taxes that I know of.

My partner hasn't claimed her oldest daughter in years either. She had a part time job and was living with her boyfriend. Neither parent had claimed her for at least a year. They still required her to prove both her parents fell below the threshold to receive grants.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 10:33 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   
deleted...
edit on 15-6-2017 by MotherMayEye because: I am going OT!

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Khaleesi

My partner hasn't claimed her oldest daughter in years either. She had a part time job and was living with her boyfriend. Neither parent had claimed her for at least a year. They still required her to prove both her parents fell below the threshold to receive grants.

There may be grant-type circumstances attached to this free-tuition...I don't know. I am speaking purely on a $64,000/yr. threshold with no knowledge of any other criteria that must be met.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Khaleesi

There may be grant-type circumstances attached to this free-tuition...I don't know. I am speaking purely on a $64,000/yr. threshold with no knowledge of any other criteria that must be met.

Well I guess it depends on how they do it. Scholarships are a different matter. My partner lives in Florida. Her 2 youngest receive the Bright Futures scholarships which is based on SAT/ACT scores. She also falls below the cutoff for them to receive Pell Grant. Their college is paid for as long as they live at home while in school. If they want to live on campus, the cost would exceed what they are receiving. They both know this and live at home to avoid having to take out loans because we have no disposable income and can not pay the costs.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Sounds good but......this makes me wonder, how come all colleges do not give this deal. They are too busy improving things to attract students I suppose.

I like UofM's site, I use it for my research now, I found it not long ago.www.uofmhealth.org...

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 10:56 PM
link   

University of Michigan's president Dr. Mark Schlissel announced that the university plans to offer free tuition for Michigan students for up to four years with family income of less than $65,0000 per year. Schlissel made the announcement at the beginning of the University Board of Regents meeting on Thursday, June 15, 2017. The Board approved the new program as part of the fiscal year 2018 general fund budget for the Ann Arbor campus.

Source

I'm of two minds about this. On one hand, great!

On the other, to offer such a large entitlement cheapens the whole experience. I've got a huge issue with not earning what is yours, but I could be in the minority with that thought. Then is raises the question of how absurd are tuition prices for middle class and up families that the university can absorb this financial burden.

Go Blue!

It shouldn't cost money to go to a University that is a business in and of itself anyway. Adults learning relevant job skills is a great investment to a country. Unfortunately way too many businesses eliminate on the job training, they don't like paying people to learn where they can then apply it immediately. The long, drug out, screw around college courses are designed to keep the teachers and admin sitting on a pile of cash and assets for the rest of their lives. It's sales. Like the finance companies, mortgages, car payments.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteWingedMonolith

Why invest in individuals when you can invest in the school!?

I can't speak for the rest of the country but locally and surrounding there is a huge trade skill deficit that needs to be filled. Good career jobs too and many shops are actually training the right people.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   

I don't see how college can be 'free'.

Someone is paying for it and it is probably the public getting fleeced once again.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Absolutely. Free for one means someone else paid for it. However, in this case it's not the public but by those paying tuition.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Interesting move.

Especially considering this Forbes.com article showing legitimate credit/concern going to the Scallion post apocalypse US map...

https:// www.forbes.com/sites/jimdobson/2017/06/10/the-shocking-doomsday-maps-of-the-world-and-the-billionaire-escape-plans/#466c08b94047

Michigan is pretty much non existent according to the map.

Bait and switch anyone?
9/23/17 much? Hmmm?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join