It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I decided to oppose universal healthcare

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Nature is cruel. Life is a pain. It is all part of God's plan. Natural selection keep the weak few by constantly weeding out the weak. Mutation occur both ways. Strong can be born from weak. Weak can be born from strong. People who are immune to flu can be born from people who are not immune to flu. People who are not immune to flu can be born from people who are immune to flu.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
The national government, by and large, does not pay for education; the states do, so to compare the two is invalid. Healthcare could just as easily be provided directly by the states, provided it's in their mandate to do so (which it is not.) But the issue is bigger than that. The REAL PROBLEM with universal healthcare provided by government is that once it is provided by government, government controls it, and there is IMMENSE pressure to "contain costs." What this bureaucratic pressure does is cheapen (as in make less good) your health care and subject it to rationing.

For example, I take a couple of eye drops for glaucoma. These drops come in itsy bitsy bottles with a small amount of fluid in them. They are supposed to last for a month apiece. They don't. It's partly my fault because I am clumsy and partly because there is not a month's worth of fluid in them, except some bureaucrat somewhere DECIDED this was enough for a month. So because the government controls my health care, they DENY me a sufficient quantity to actually meet my needs. The only way I can do what needs to be done is to cheat the system. Now if we had a private health care system that was competitive I could say, "Gimme a bottle of travatan, goddammit." and that would be the end of it. But because the government is involved it has turned a fairly simple process into a stress-producing nightmare because I NEED that stuff, unfortunately.

And the system doesn't treat doctors and other medical professionals any better than consumers. The lesson here is that government takes the efficiency and efficacy out of everything it touches. LESS government is BETTER government and you guys who tout "universal healthcare (single payer!) for all" are asking for MORE government, which is really quite stupid.

You are right sir, our health care system is hosed. I have received care from VA for the last seven years, best healthcare I have had in my life, counting when I had private insurance. I realize that not all vets have this experience, but parts of the VA are awesome, if that could be expanded to cover everyone, it would be good.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: allsee4eye

So what are you really saying?

Should we not have medical intervention in very treatable situations?

link   
a reply to: ClovenSky
And yet those Obese alcoholic tobacco smokers pay plenty of their hard earned money for OTC meds that are actually helping to make them worse.
its not because they do not care, its because they don't enjoy the feeling of the poor choices their brainwashed consumerism has brought upon them.

The bright side is most of them don't make it past 60, and our younger generations are finally wising up and making significantly better health and dietary decisions than the baby boomers.

its a damn shame that my parents generation was so self destructive to their own bodies. Not my parents, they 62, but most think they are still in their forties. Hows that for an incentive, to be frequently confused for younger generation at nearly senior age??

The most common excuse I heard from my peers during my twenties was "hey we don't live forever" . My response was always "and don't you actually want to feel decent when your old?" of course they would just change the subject. But it is I who have had the last laugh, as many of them have become overweight and started to suffer related issues. Now who is stupid for only drinking water , ignoring tobacco, and not becoming an alcoholic huh?? NOT ME!!

link   

originally posted by: allsee4eye

Nature is cruel. Life is a pain. It is all part of God's plan. Natural selection keep the weak few by constantly weeding out the weak. Mutation occur both ways. Strong can be born from weak. Weak can be born from strong. People who are immune to flu can be born from people who are not immune to flu. People who are not immune to flu can be born from people who are immune to flu.

Were you home schooled?

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightAssassin
a reply to: ClovenSky

And why is the obesity rate so high, Cloven?

ONE of the reasons is because the government has decided people are obese by fiat. I'm 5'11" tall and weigh 175-180 pounds. On the charts I am "borderline obese." Well, I'm 68 years old and I've gained a few pounds. When I was a senior in college I weighed 165, so I'm 10-15 pounds heavier after nearly 50 years and a "lifetime of temptation." But no one looking at me would consider me in the least "obese." It's just that the government has decided on "guidelines" to put you into categories. With all the anti "fat shaming" PC stuff going around ("I'm Plus Size and proud!") you'd think the bureaucrats would be more sensitive, but the point is that this is yet another example of the government determining who is fat and who is not because some bureaucrats dictate reality to us.
edit on 6/15/2017 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

I've never been to hospital or seen a doctor. Mutation is unpredictable. My kids may be genetically weak and prone to disease and see the doctor or go to the hospital all the time. If that is case, I wouldn't want to save my kids. I believe in natural selection.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   

What God is it you worship exactly? Baphomet?

What happened to the meek inherenting the earth?

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   

So if you have a disabled child you just put it outside and let natural selection and God's plan take it's course?

Some Christian...

link   

Do you have kids???

link   

originally posted by: BubbaJoe

The national government, by and large, does not pay for education; the states do, so to compare the two is invalid. Healthcare could just as easily be provided directly by the states, provided it's in their mandate to do so (which it is not.) But the issue is bigger than that. The REAL PROBLEM with universal healthcare provided by government is that once it is provided by government, government controls it, and there is IMMENSE pressure to "contain costs." What this bureaucratic pressure does is cheapen (as in make less good) your health care and subject it to rationing.

For example, I take a couple of eye drops for glaucoma. These drops come in itsy bitsy bottles with a small amount of fluid in them. They are supposed to last for a month apiece. They don't. It's partly my fault because I am clumsy and partly because there is not a month's worth of fluid in them, except some bureaucrat somewhere DECIDED this was enough for a month. So because the government controls my health care, they DENY me a sufficient quantity to actually meet my needs. The only way I can do what needs to be done is to cheat the system. Now if we had a private health care system that was competitive I could say, "Gimme a bottle of travatan, goddammit." and that would be the end of it. But because the government is involved it has turned a fairly simple process into a stress-producing nightmare because I NEED that stuff, unfortunately.

And the system doesn't treat doctors and other medical professionals any better than consumers. The lesson here is that government takes the efficiency and efficacy out of everything it touches. LESS government is BETTER government and you guys who tout "universal healthcare (single payer!) for all" are asking for MORE government, which is really quite stupid.

You are right sir, our health care system is hosed. I have received care from VA for the last seven years, best healthcare I have had in my life, counting when I had private insurance. I realize that not all vets have this experience, but parts of the VA are awesome, if that could be expanded to cover everyone, it would be good.

My Dad had VA coverage and on the whole I was very grateful he did. I know some VA care is atrocious, but they treated him very well. The only problem is getting people TO their clinics and hospitals, which can be difficult.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: BubbaJoe

No, I went to public school.

link   

Not yet.

link   
a reply to: schuyler

you guys who tout "universal healthcare (single payer!) for all" are asking for MORE government, which is really quite stupid.

Along with the fire departments, rubbish collection and national security it (healthcare) is the only type of government I want.

It's only "more" in your mind because you want your government to do other things with their time instead.

Everything else you said can be blamed on Big Pharma & insurance companies.

I have schizophrenia, I cannot currently work, I get my prescription for free...

Without the help of the wonderful taxpayers I'd be climbing the walls, living in the street ranting and raving, or God forbid in prison do a long stretch for a crime I couldn't possibly stop myself from committing without the help of antipsychotics.

Instead I can take my free Meds, thanks taxpayer, and converse on this wonderful website without anyone knowing that I'm genuinely a nutcase without them.

If you lived in the U.K. you'd get the right amount of eye drops for less money.
edit on 15-6-2017 by Hazardous1408 because: Autocorrect.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

If my kid has Down syndrome I send him or her to a special school.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Universal healthcare, unlike the other government social services, goes against natural law.

link   

originally posted by: BubbaJoe

My Dad had VA coverage and on the whole I was very grateful he did. I know some VA care is atrocious, but they treated him very well. The only problem is getting people TO their clinics and hospitals, which can be difficult.

Understand that, I am fortunate, I live in a major metro area, and have a medical center and 3 clinics within 50 miles, 2 within 20.

link   

Not yet.

How old are you??

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

I was was wondering the EXACT same thing...and notice they never said they were never sick..just that they never went to the dr,,so does this mean that they are one of those diehards that refuse to go unless they are literally on their death bed???

allsee4eye if you meant you never get sick..well good luck hope it stays that way but you never know..my husband was one of these poeple who never gets sick he was healthiest of all of us we never smoked or did drugs..he was in better shape than me....he had a pain in his side suffice to say he DIED from cancer...so you NEVER know when your LUCK will run out...come back in a week, month, year when your health takes a turn and we''ll see what you have to say (and no I am not wishing will health on you just saying if it happens)

edit on 15-6-2017 by research100 because: moved paragragh below the quote

edit on 15-6-2017 by research100 because: dang spelling

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   

If that is case, I wouldn't want to save my kids. I believe in natural selection.

Ok I've changed my mind...

That... is the most ungodly thing I've ever heard.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join