It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I decided to oppose universal healthcare

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   
While rich prefer to send their kids to private school, they have the option to send their kids to public school. The point is, everyone' s kids need education. That's why universal education for kids is palatable. But few people need healthcare. That's why universal healthcare is not palatable .
edit on 15-6-2017 by allsee4eye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Due to mutation, weak are born from strong all the time. There are always people vulnerable to flu born from people who are immune to flu. Natural selection keep the weak few by constantly weeding out the weak. If the weak are saved by the strong with universal healthcare, then natural selection breaks down and weak will become too many in the population.

link   

To save the weak is going against God...

I think this is the most ungodly thing anyone has ever said.

link   
The ironic thing is America as a state spends more on healthcare than any other country by an order of magnitude. All the money goes to a corrupt vampiric insurance industry.

America could literally have full universal healthcare, do away with the ghouls in the insurance industry and spend LESS than they do now.

The only people who benefit from a lack of universal healthcare are those who seek to profit off the suffering and misfortune of others. I don't want my money going to those people.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Man, if you think our health care system is bad now, just wait until it is free. You will be paying cash or going to another country to receive decent care.

I wonder though, if health care is free, what incentives do I have to take care of myself?

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: allsee4eye

How are the weak saved by the strong in U healthcare?

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

what incentives do I have to take care of myself?

Because nobody likes to be sick, or injured, or dying???

That incentive enough?

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Already happening, because of cost and horrible health out comes in the US. Its called Medical tourism and it is growing.
www.health-tourism.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

But not everyone will pay into the pool.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: avgguy

Healthcare?

Depends on what is taxed or how funds are raised.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   

if health care is free, what incentives do I have to take care of myself?

Is this some new Conservative Trumpian styled logic? Fits in perfectly with you can grab their Pu***y cause you're rich and famous style of thinking.

edit on 15-6-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

what incentives do I have to take care of myself?

Because nobody likes to be sick, or injured, or dying???

That incentive enough?

You really think that don't you? Have you looked around at our society (USA) lately?

What is our obesity rate again? I mean, just look at our government sponsored food pyramid.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

if health care is free, what incentives do I have to take care of myself?

Is this some new Conservative Trumpian styled logic?

Wow, I am in the wrong thread here.

I am backing away slowly

I am not making any sudden moves and my hands are clearly visible

Have a nice day.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   

You've never been to a doctor??? Were you born in a field somewhere??? You've never been vaccinated??? Never been to see the dentist??? None of these things ever once in your life??? How old are you???

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   
You should stop drinking municipal filtered water as well. Someone else made the effort to help you out by cleaning that water and making it safe to drink. If you really believed what you are saying (and I know you don't), you would become weaker over time, or already have because your body is not being forced to combat pathogens or adapt to heavy metals and chemicals in the water which would normally be present in an urban environment. Clean water is less of a right than healthcare, because anybody could just get water from their local source right?? Not only could they, they should be doing it so that the strong can adapt and the weak die off.

If you are ever trapped in a burning car from an accident you have no control over, I hope you just tell the firefighters "hey don't worry about it, survival of the fittest man. I'll figure out how to escape this inferno (assuming I am even conscious), and if I don't then God wanted me to die from natural selection. I was clearly too weak and stupid to figure out how to survive in a freak car accident that will burn me alive!"

Now you are going to try and figure out how to tell me these scenarios don't count or whatever, but I am certain it will just be a failure.

And for the record, nearly all bottled water sold in stores is source from the local municipality. Anyone who really thinks Zephyrhills sold in New York is from Florida, well we got plenty of bridges for sale too!!! And I will be happy to sell them to anyone who is interested!

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   
The national government, by and large, does not pay for education; the states do, so to compare the two is invalid. Healthcare could just as easily be provided directly by the states, provided it's in their mandate to do so (which it is not.) But the issue is bigger than that. The REAL PROBLEM with universal healthcare provided by government is that once it is provided by government, government controls it, and there is IMMENSE pressure to "contain costs." What this bureaucratic pressure does is cheapen (as in make less good) your health care and subject it to rationing.

For example, I take a couple of eye drops for glaucoma. These drops come in itsy bitsy bottles with a small amount of fluid in them. They are supposed to last for a month apiece. They don't. It's partly my fault because I am clumsy and partly because there is not a month's worth of fluid in them, except some bureaucrat somewhere DECIDED this was enough for a month. So because the government controls my health care, they DENY me a sufficient quantity to actually meet my needs. The only way I can do what needs to be done is to cheat the system. Now if we had a private health care system that was competitive I could say, "Gimme a bottle of travatan, goddammit." and that would be the end of it. But because the government is involved it has turned a fairly simple process into a stress-producing nightmare because I NEED that stuff, unfortunately.

And the system doesn't treat doctors and other medical professionals any better than consumers. The lesson here is that government takes the efficiency and efficacy out of everything it touches. LESS government is BETTER government and you guys who tout "universal healthcare (single payer!) for all" are asking for MORE government, which is really quite stupid.
edit on 6/15/2017 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   

And why is the obesity rate so high, Cloven?

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: allsee4eye
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Due to mutation, weak are born from strong all the time. There are always people vulnerable to flu born from people who are immune to flu. Natural selection keep the weak few by constantly weeding out the weak. If the weak are saved by the strong with universal healthcare, then natural selection breaks down and weak will become too many in the population.

Amazing, you quote God and Darwinism in several posts, your understanding of human nature is weak.

link   

originally posted by: ClovenSky
Man, if you think our health care system is bad now, just wait until it is free. You will be paying cash or going to another country to receive decent care.

I wonder though, if health care is free, what incentives do I have to take care of myself?

Well I have free healthcare, every time I've needed it they've done a good job.

They were very helpful when my girlfriend was pregnant with our daughter.

My father didn't complain when his kidney failed and the years of treatment.

My step father got cancer not too long ago, had no issues with the treatment and now it's gone completely.

I come from a poor family on both sides. My step fathers family isn't wealthy either. If not for universal healthcare both men would probably be dead now.

I'd rather not leave my healthcare in the hands of people who are solely concerned with profit-loss ratios.

Not that I'd be able to afford health insurance in the first place on a railway maintenance workers' pay...

link   
a reply to: schuyler

Now if we had a private health care system that was competitive I could say, "Gimme a bottle of travatan, goddammit" and that would be the end of it

Wrong. You need to meet co-pays, deductibles and pharma costs. You can bitch all you want, but until you give them the $$$ and you will not get the 10 cents worth of chemicals to drop in your eyes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join