It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN Sues FBI For Comey Memo's Citing FOIA

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   
CNN has sued The FBI in federal court to compel the release of James Comey’s memos that describe his conversation with President Trump. This has the potential to force the status or classification of the memos.
variety.com...

Interesting comments here:

The irony is that the CNN litigation could answer some of the underlying questions over the status of the memos and whether Comey was a leaker in the unauthorized dissemination of FBI information.

We're Comey's leaks illegal?

the transfer of the memos to Richman and the sharing of the information with the media constituted a serious violation of legal and professional standards by Comey. Tasked with finding leakers, Comey became a leaker himself in order to strike back at the president

thehill.com...

The damaging case against James Comey:

The greatest irony is that Trump succeeded in baiting Comey to a degree that even Trump could not have imagined. After calling Comey a “showboat” and poor director, Comey proceeded to commit an unethical and unprofessional act in leaking damaging memos against Trump.

thehill.com...

Another issue is the prosecution of Loretta Lynch hangs in the balance
on Comey's words, against hers. It appears he wants her to be at least discredited.

Is CNN acting on behalf of Lynch, or Comey, or Clinton?

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   
WOW, sounds like CNN is doing something Trump followers would WANT...

How are they going to explain this one?

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Vlad: "Hello Mr. Comey, have you met Mr. Snowden?"

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanteGaland

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: burntheships

We have officially entered the Bizarro World.

This MUST be about the decline in ratings recently reported. Advertising dollars is still the bottom line at CNN, despite their political leanings.

CNN trying to stay relevant.

Every day becomes more surreal.

edit on 15-6-2017 by UFO1414 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   
This isn't real. If it was it would have said "un-named sources" have stated that CNN blah blah blah.

Ok now for a real response:

I think that between the shooting yesterday and almost everyone CNN talked to blaming them as part of the problem. Maybe CNN is going to actually investigate a news story. I mean it's possible.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   

From your link:

“We think the public has the right to see them,” CNN president Jeff Zucker told Variety. “It’s in the pursuit of what we do every day. We think it’s in every journalist’s interest and we are happy to take the lead on this.

Holy crap...that's rich.

I wonder why the FBI hasn't responded to their FOIA request though. I am sure they could come up with a reason or two -- legitimate or not. It would at least cause CNN to have to come up with a legal argument. NOT ANSWERING the request, at all, doesn't.

Interesting in all its perspective.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I question the accuracy of this. As someone who has to deal with FOIA from time to time, there has not been enough time for CNN to have filed a FOIA request, had said request denied, filed an appeal, had that denied, and filed suit. IF CC has filed a FOIA request, I would question whether it had even been addressed yet.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   

I think I feel a gentle shifting of the tide here.
With recent statements by Feinsein and Pelosi, it seems that maybe they have felt it too.

We common folk find out last.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

There is still no proof that the memos ever existed in the first place. The FBI couldn't find them and the SIC hasn't seen them yet either. CNN is requesting hot air. Wow great news everybody.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: usernameconspiracy
I question the accuracy of this. As someone who has to deal with FOIA from time to time, there has not been enough time for CNN to have filed a FOIA request, had said request denied, filed an appeal, had that denied, and filed suit. IF CC has filed a FOIA request, I would question whether it had even been addressed yet.

My first thoughts, too. But this is based on the fact that FBI hasn't even responded!

If you are familiar with the FOIA, don't you think that's odd? I do. It's CNN. The FBI knows they have a 20 day window to respond (not to necessarily turnover the records though).

I find it smelly as sh*t that they haven't responded.

Like I said earlier...they could find some exemption to deny the request and force CNN to fight the denial with a legal argument. Not responding, at all, though? It's eyebrow raising. I feel something is being set-up.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

I think I feel a gentle shifting of the tide here.
With recent statements by Feinsein and Pelosi, it seems that maybe they have felt it too.

We common folk find out last.

Pelosi's latest statement is that Fox News is responsible for death threats that she's receiving.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

From your link:

“We think the public has the right to see them,” CNN president Jeff Zucker told Variety. “It’s in the pursuit of what we do every day. We think it’s in every journalist’s interest and we are happy to take the lead on this.

Holy crap...that's rich.

I wonder why the FBI hasn't responded to their FOIA request though. I am sure they could come up with a reason or two -- legitimate or not. It would at least cause CNN to have to come up with a legal argument. NOT ANSWERING the request, at all, doesn't.

Too busy plotting their easily had revenge?

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Perfectenemy
a reply to: MotherMayEye

There is still no proof that the memos ever existed in the first place. The FBI couldn't find them and the SIC hasn't seen them yet either. CNN is requesting hot air. Wow great news everybody.

Then the FBI can answer that they cannot even confirm or deny the memos exist. That is a legitimate response (but they haven't even responded within the 20 day time limit...hence CNN's appeal).

I know, because I got that response a few times under a state open records law act modeled on the FOIA.

For example, the Hawaii Department of Health could not confirm or deny whether they had documents supporting a name change amendment on Obama's birth certificate birth certificate.
edit on 15-6-2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Is CNN acting on behalf of Lynch, or Comey, or Clinton?

That right there is the proverbial $64,000 question. I'm leaning towards Lynch.

I'd also like to know who Comey is really working on behalf of. Lynch is working for Obama... Clinton is working for Clinton... But I can't figure Comey out yet. I get the feeling that Trump thinks Comey is the weak link though.

Sorry I don't have any answers. Just musings.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Maybe it is time our government took down CNN for trying to force them to give out classified documents. They are not declassified till someone declassifies them. Other stuff could have been discussed between Trump and Comey that day that was not released, I am sure there conversation was more than just that subject.

Putting CNN out of business would be easy, since CNN is being a threat to national security lately by acquiring leaked information and publishing it and because now they want to force our government to give out information to the public that could cause a security threat.

We need to stop these kind of things, it does nothing more than cause taxpayers a lot of money and interfere with the governments business. No other country would allow this, this is ridiculous.

Would Germany allow this? Would England allow this? Would Sweden allow this? Would Japan allow this? Would France allow this? Hell no.
edit on 15-6-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   
It is quite amazing that unclassified memo's that were already in the public domain have not been seen by everyone yet - almost as if there were no memo's and they are still being written.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: UFO1414

It is bizarre, I think there must be a nefarious purpose here
perhaps they are working at the behest of one of these
under investigation?

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

It could be that just with an answer they will be revealing whether
or not Comey's memos exist, if they exist if they are FBI property?

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
It is quite amazing that unclassified memo's that were already in the public domain have not been seen by everyone yet - almost as if there were no memo's and they are still being written.

I am sure not all of the memos from that night are unclassified. I am sure some national security information was shared between these people and even between Trump and Comey that night. We have only been allowed to view a couple of the things that were discussed that night.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join