It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officials Charged With Involuntary Manslaughter For Flint Water Crisis

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   
It's about damned time!!! But I have to admit that I'm shocked at the thought that the guilty parties are actually being held to account for their actions.

Officials Charged With Involuntary Manslaughter For Flint Water Crisis

So after five deaths and countless injuries to the residents:

Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette charged five officials with involuntary manslaughter Wednesday over their handling of the water crisis in Flint, Michigan.

The defendants, all high-ranking members of the city and state government, are Michigan Department of Health and Human Services Director Nick Lyon, former Flint Emergency Manager Darnell Earley, former Flint water manager Howard Croft, and Liane Shekter-Smith and Stephen Busch of the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality.

Additionally, Dr. Eden Wells, the state’s chief medical officer, has been charged with obstruction of justice and lying to a police officer.

The Governor (another guilty party in my opinion) seems to want to protect the guilty:

Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder (R), who has insisted he moved to take action to fix the problems with Flint’s water as soon as he learned of the danger, defended state employees in a statement Wednesday.

It's worth noting that this isn't a partisan witch hunt -- nor should it be. Both the governor and the Attorney General are Republicans.

I should also note that this is about more than the well-known lead poisoning issue associated with Flint which caused injuries but no known deaths. Rather the deaths were caused by Legionnaire's Disease:

The involuntary manslaughter charges stem specifically from the death of Robert Skidmore, 85, of Mt. Morris, Michigan, a city adjacent to Flint. Legionnaires’ disease is caused by bacteria that can be harbored in mismanaged water systems and that are particularly dangerous in large buildings.

Legionnaires’ disease is a pneumonia-like illness caused by inhaling water vapor infected with Legionella bacteria. Unlike the lead poisoning that has affected thousands of Flint children, Legionnaires’ is not caused by drinking contaminated water.

We'll see what happens, but the prosecutor is optimistic that the charges will stick:

Speaking to reporters, Schuette called the Flint probe “the most comprehensive investigation” in Michigan’s modern history. He said he’s “very confident” the charges filed will be upheld in court.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
You know someone recently tried to blame the crisis on people not paying their water bills.

As if that somehow magically adds lead to the water.

Some sick bastards involved in this.
& it would never happen in a rich neighbourhood.

Class warfare is real.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Your kidding me! I was wondering who died when I saw the title. This is a reach. Legionnaire's Disease. Really?

This is a farce!

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Involuntary manslaughter? Republicans in office should be charged with that if trumpcare goes thru.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
You know someone recently tried to blame the crisis on people not paying their water bills.

Wow. Can't get much lower than that. But blaming the victim seems to be standard operating procedure for too many these days.

Some sick bastards involved in this.

Exemplifies the term "depraved heart" perfectly, eh?

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
Your kidding me! I was wondering who died when I saw the title. This is a reach. Legionnaire's Disease. Really?

This is a farce!

its a farce that it took so long to charge this awful scum with involuntary manslaughter.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: veracity
Involuntary manslaughter? Republicans in office should be charged with that if trumpcare goes thru.

We can start with Dems and Obamacare first, since it was designed to fail (let people die).

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   
As they should be charged. As people died thanks to these greedy uncaring crooks.

edit on 15-6-2017 by dreamingawake because: clarifying sources

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Yes, really:

Legionella bacteria are commonly spread through airborne water droplets. Mist or vapor contaminated with the bacteria can come from whirlpool spas, cooling towers (used as air-conditioning units in large buildings), and water used for drinking and bathing, according to the CDC.

This is a known risk, and the responsibility of these people to institute proper precautions and preventative measures -- NOT create and escalate the risk. So when someone dies due to the gross recklessness and mismanagement of the responsible parties, manslaughter charges are the appropriate response.

This is a farce!

Hmmmm... somehow I think the loved ones of the deceased have a different perspective.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: veracity

I think an attorney with his/her salt could make that case! I think one could make that case now regarding Obamacare and the many people who lost their insurance. And the case could be made for the government criminalizing and continuing to enforce cannabis criminalization even knowing of its healing properties. And on and on and on...

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

The charges have NOTHING to do with lead.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Prove where the contamination came from and I might agree with you.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Prove where the contamination came from and I might agree with you.

Really? That's all you've got??? An impossible gotcha challenge???

Of course I don't have the authority, the access, or the resources to prove the claim. And even if I could and did, it would mean absolutely squat.

However, the appropriate officials who do have the authority, the access and the resources to prove the claim are in the process of doing just that.... in a court of law where it means everything.

And rightfully so.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Good! I made a thread in regards to Flint threatening foreclosure on homes for unpaid water bills here

It's about time something is done, unfortunately it's still not taking care of the water.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: slapjacks
Good! I made a thread in regards to Flint threatening foreclosure on homes for unpaid water bills here

Thank you for posting your link here. That was just insult added to injury -- literally. And it was despicable, but I guess not surprisingly considering what they'd already done.

It's about time something is done, unfortunately it's still not taking care of the water.

No, it's not... but it might prove to be a deterrent for government critters who might also be inclined to put the life and limb of the people in danger. They may not give a rats patootie about others, but they'll protect their own hide.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Good. Why is this not a top story here?

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Now if we could get accountabulity in DC. That there isnt any is why all goes on including annual overseas mass murder.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   
"It's worth noting that this isn't a partisan witch hunt..."

Then why is the only party affiliation mentioned by you republican.

Why did you include (R) but no (D) after the democrats?

edit on 15-6-2017 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-6-2017 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Sorry. I meant that they need to prove where the contamination came from. Show that it was the water company's fault. I didn't mean you.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
"It's worth noting that this isn't a partisan witch hunt..."

Then why is the only party affiliation mentioned by you republican.

Why did you include (R) but no (D) after the democrats?

My apologies. I should have expressed myself better.

Because I had quoted the Republican governor's statement defending the officials who were charged, I wanted to note that it was also a Republican official who had charged them -- not a Democrat official. Hence, not a Democrat witchhunt for Republicans to charge for partisan politics.

I hope that's clearer.

<<   2 >>

join