It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you know about the new phone scam?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   
DUDES...don't you know the FIRST rule about "adult entertainment websites" online?

NEVER give them your phone number!

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: SBMcG
That's fab!
I wish my phone would let me do that - thank you.
I'll report it.
peace

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: TheGreazel

Great site you posted. Thanks. It's bookmarked for me now.

peace

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   

So, what am I missing

What your suppose to do with unsolicited telemarketer phone calls.

Literally tell them to EFF off. Use the non ATS censored version of it.

And hang up.

What I always do.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

So, what am I missing

What your suppose to do with unsolicited telemarketer phone calls.

Literally tell them to EFF off. Use the non ATS censored version of it.

And hang up.

What I always do.

As a former telemarketer, I'm here to tell you: that ^^^ is a sure way to keep getting calls. The computer--it's all computerized, the computer pulls up a number and makes the call, then transfers the call to the telemarketer when you answer--will just put your number back in the system and you'll get another call another time. Instead of telling them to F*** of, tell them "PUT ME ON YOUR DO-NOT-CALL LIST." Most places have an internal DNC list, and if you tell them that the rep can click a button to add your # to the list and the calls will stop. (It might take up to a week to go into effect, but your # WILL go on the list and the calls WILL stop.)

Just an fyi.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I think the 20 seconds was to test if you actually complied with the request to hold on and wait for the number, which you did. Now they know you're an easier target in a future scam

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: silo13
Got a call - computer generated voice recording.

Supposedly from the Treasury Department.

The voice says you've been selected to receive a grant of 9K but you have to hurry up and call back to register.

---> Here's the weird part. Then it says 'I'll wait 20 seconds while you go get something to write on.

The 20 seconds expires and you're given the number 443-295-3767 - which is a non working number.

So, what am I missing? What's the scam here? And that 20 second thing?

Thanks - no big deal really I'm just curious.

peace

They could be reverse billing you from an international number. Or not putting the phone down at their end, so when you think the call is finished it isn't really, and they are listening in or billing you.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

Did you say "OK"? That's one scam to record you... Another is getting you taped saying "Yes! " when the robot voice asks if you can hear them alright.

Nefarious....... Take care.... Say never OK or yes....

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   

If it's a long distance number I never answer it. Sometimes if I'm in a really bad mood, I'll answer it and give the person on the other end a mouth full. I'm on a no-call list, but it doesn't stop the calls! This is one thing that really gets at my nerves. You would think our representatives could devise some kind of legislation that would incorporate a huge fine and put a stop to these phone marketers and scammers.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I have a "NO!" button for just these types of calls. 10 different, obnoxious versions of "no". It's tons of LoLz for my kids.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   
As soon as the telemarketer begins to speak, say I want you to want me.
As soon as they start to reply say no, I need you to need me.

Make sure it's a telemarketer and not your mother-in-law though...

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 10:34 PM
link   
There seems to be a new scam every week. Last week I was getting fake "Microsoft support center" calls at 3AM telling me my my computer security has been breached. I told them I don't own a computer and have never even used one before. The week before that it was the "IRS" calling to tell me they are filing a lawsuit against me. That one made me laugh for about a half hour.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

I checked a public site..says it is a land line ...that wasn't listed on that post on page one

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Best bet? Don't answer calls from unknown numbers. That's what I do. They can ring, and the answering machine or voicemail can get it. Most of the time, no message, so I know it's not important. Even those have no name attached. No answer, eventually, they usually stop. Some persistent ones, I have blocked through the phone companies. Both Sprint and the local cable company we use for the home phone have call blocking available.

The 20 seconds is weird. Perhaps to be sure it's not a recording?

If you do feel obligated to answer, a really loud whistle works well, too!

Whatever happened to "do not call"?

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 05:18 AM
link   

The week before that it was the "IRS" calling to tell me they are filing a lawsuit against me. That one made me laugh for about a half hour.

I've received that one. How ridiculous is that! The people who would fall for that are those who haven't paid their taxes. I still don't know how these scammers get away with this. Phone numbers can be traced, so you would think our government could put a stop to it. Just another example of how political representatives don't protect the consumer anymore.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 05:29 AM
link   

My father gets many calls from scammers. I think being a member of AARP automatically gets you on the lists.

He got that Microsoft call. My father is a very smart man. He is also a tease. He takes great pleasure in driving the scammers crazy.

He led the guy from 'Microsoft' on for almost an hour, playing dumb, pretending he was following directions, asking stupid questions and getting the guy all frustrated. He feigned concern when told he had a problem with his computer. For example, he acted like he was trying to follow directions to get into something on his computer, and kept saying "my computer doesn't have that", etc. Finally he asked the guy if it mattered if his computer was an iPad. LOL. Then the guy told him to get his other computer. Which resulted in more time wasted. The scammer got all frustrated and HE was the one who eventually hung up on my father, which is rare for scammer. They never hang up first.

My father rationalizes that he is saving someone else from getting scammed while wasting the scammers' time. And it gives my dad a chuckle.

edit on 6/16/17 by BlueAjah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Yes, the whistle - I'd forgotten that one!

Problem is most a these are recordings - ugh.

peace

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   

peace

The hubby had a thought on that 20 second wait time. He thinks it's a way to get someone to wait for an actual person to get on the call, on their end. As in, instead of one of those annoying "please hold for an operator" messages, they say they are waiting for you, so fewer people hang up. Makes sense!!

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: c2oden

Just saw this

Hysterical.

And yes, I will use it.

peace
edit on 0640Friday201713 by silo13 because: html

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   

peace

Yeah, hence my ignoring most such calls! The answering machine can screen them, or voicemail! Almost never get anything on either one!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join