It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump working with his favorite daughter signs EO to expand apprenticeship programs

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan All right bud, all I am saying is apprenticeships are a good alternative, it is where I learned trig. At this time we are running out of journeymen due to loss of manufacturing in the past and ignoring the program and living on the last batch of journeymen. we are a shrinking bunch. Everyone cant afford or don't want collage.
and as far as your obsession with competitiveness it is appels and oranges as far as you and I are concerned. When the manufacturing picks up we are going to need these people. Grow up man there are a lot of people out there that don't have the opportunities you have had, you don't have to say a program isn't worth someones time. Who the hell do you think is responsible for the products you buy? Collage is great, if you can swing it, go for it. but don't come around and put down the trades or the good folks who are in them, as you seem to think they are not smart people. I would rather spend time with them than some smug academic. every one dosnt need to be rich to be happy and productive. so quit looking down your nose at the rest of us

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   
#MAGA
Sweat shops for all
yaaay Ivanka !
Ivanka is a very Murikan first name.. just sayin, y'know ...

The reality of working in a factory making clothes for Ivanka Trump’s label has been laid bare, with employees speaking of being paid so little they cannot live with their children, anti-union intimidation and women being offered a bonus if they don’t take time off while menstruating.

The workers’ complaints come only a week after labour activists investigating possible abuses at a Chinese factory that makes Ivanka Trump shoes disappeared into police custody.

For the majority of non-union Buma workers, their job is a run-of-the-mill hardship to be endured. About three-quarters of them are women, many are mothers and several, like Alia, devote almost all their income to children with whom they can’t afford to live.

According to a photo of a timetable one worker showed the Guardian, the production targets, broken down for every half hour between 7am and 4pm, are between 58 and 92 garments per period, while the actual numbers produced are recorded as 27 to 40.

“The management is getting smarter: they tap out our ID cards at 4pm so you can’t prove anything,” said Wildan, a 25-year-old male worker.

Seven workers also said they were subject to verbal abuse, being called things like “animals, moron and monkey”. Otang said this, too, was fairly common.

Beyond this, Buma also has a pattern of firing workers right before Ramadan and rehiring them a month later, to avoid paying a “religious holiday bonus”, according to several workers.

Indonesian law dictates all workers are owed a holiday bonus according to their religion, which works out to at least a month’s wages or more depending on seniority. In May 2017, there were about 290 people fired before Ramadan, according to Toto Sunarto, a leader of the SPSI union in Subang.

Full employment, in an Ivanka stylie,
hope you appreciate it ;p)

#MAGA
give us your down trodden
your unemployable masses
to do the backbreaking work
that murikans won't do...

Link

Read before commenting
edit on 19/6/17 by Damiel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: darepairman

Did you learn trig, or did you learn to solve a couple formulas? My experience with trades is that most people's version of learning math is to solve a couple formulas, not the logic behind why those formulas exist. For example, before I went to college I worked at a deli and the husband of one of my co-workers thought he knew algebra because he spent a week learning one specific formula relating to how much of a chemical to dump in water. That got him a promotion for "knowing math" but that's not knowing math. If you know it you can create the formula from nothing.

Using is not knowing. I've had similar discussions with other members here who own businesses. Their conclusions have been the same, few know math enough to formula build.

As far as competitiveness goes, I'm not a competitive person at all but it's what our economy is based on. I want a more competitive workforce, it's the only way we can keep wages high in a global economy.

Manufacturing is dead, people like me figured out 3d printing. And people like me can 3d model. Delivery is dead, batteries progressed to where we have drones and people smarter than me solved self driving cars. Mechanics are on their way out with plug and play parts.

In 20 or 30 years these will simply not be jobs.

I'm aware of the journeyman crisis but that's a symptom of having uncompetitive employees. It goes back to the idea that companies want employees they don't have to train. If schools were teaching rather than apprenticeship culture we wouldn't be in crisis mode.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan ya I am done, you are superior. but I do like your signature line

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: darepairman
a reply to: Aazadan ya I am done, you are superior. but I do like your signature line

Good, the signature line is to remind myself that no matter how rational my ideas seem to me, I'm probably 100% wrong on everything I believe. Of course, that's true of everyone else too.

It's not about being superior though, I'm pretty bad at what I do. It's simply about having good long term jobs for people. Trades are often marketed as that, but physical realities and economic factors run completely counter to that idea.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I really have to stop now. This whole conversation is about ideals, and I am not going to change your mind or you mine. You seem like a intelligent person and a pretty decent also. I made the statement about your sig line because when I read it I realized it fits both of us so good luck with ever you do and be happy for Christs sake.
Ed

Edit to add: To anyone else reading, I really am for higher education of any kind, even a collage degree will do

edit on 19-6-2017 by darepairman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: Fools
1. It lowers the threshold in higher education. The more students you have the more there is a natural pull to lower expectations.

If an apprenticeship teaches properly, you end up with someone equally well trained in the end. Therefore expectations remain equally low.

2. The higher the student population in universities the more it becomes a diploma factory acting more like a business than an educational facility.

Not true. The more people in a class, the more leeway a school has to fail the ones who don't perform. You need a certain number of students to run a class, or justify a professors employment. More students gives the school more leverage. When you're desperate for numbers, you can never fail someone.

3. Most young men are not geared to this sort of learning. Most young men are visual learners. As such, an actual trade is better for them in many ways.

This sounds like the sort of BS people who think themselves incapable of learning spout.

So sad...so so sad.

Do you realize what a good car mechanic makes? Do you know what an electrician makes? More than most. Is there something wrong with hands on jobs? Just because they use their hands has nothing to do with learning ability. You need to look into what the term visual learning actually is.

By the way, I do have a BS - Bachelor of Science.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Fools

Sorry, but learning styles are something people who can't learn came up with to justify thinking of themselves as smart despite their failures.

The median wage for an electrician is $50k, for a mechanic it's $38k. Both are below the national average.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Fools, don't even waste your time with this one, He/she is so stuck on themselves, that they cant even see that there are other kinds of people that do other kinds of jobs than them. They are so high up on a self made pedestal that they cant even notice that there are jobs out there that pay good money to make products that make life easier for them, you know they would even eat a bullet if they didn't have their I phone or computer to play with , even stated so. sadly enough there are people out there being tought this these days. You know a guy like me who gets his hands dirty for a living is stupid according to this poster. No matter what is stated about abilities, I guess I don't understand everything I know. So I chose to let this rock star with a key board alone with their own opinion of the pesants.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Yeah, it is really weird. I suppose farmers are stupid as well. Making food for her/him to eat.

The good part is that this person is just another poster child with all that is wrong in our current world. Hopefully some young people will see this sort of opinion and understand this sort of person has nothing valid to offer civilization and try hard to be the opposite of it.

I have worked many manual jobs and put myself through college with no help at all. None from my parents and no help from the government. Luckily at the time my university wasn't full of SJW's and it was a place of learning - not a place of snitching, condemning, and complaining.

I learned ACTUAL philosophy, I learned REAL history, I read CLASSICAL literature as well as POMO crap. I ended up taking actual ENGINEERING classes that helped me learn a skill. I am not so sure that happens anymore judging the younger people I listen to around me. I have hope that most will wake up out of this culture nightmare we are suffering but I fear something terrible will happen first.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Well all is not lost, My son is 27 and in a plumming apprenticeship and a few of his friends are in the trades also. I myself am 3rd generation skilled trades and my son makes 4th. It is scary, this type of thinking. What will happen to them when they finally achive A.I. The programmers will be the first to be dealt with

edit on 28-6-2017 by darepairman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   

I was a plumber in the Navy. Went into Nuclear Engineering School, got kicked out for being a young idiot (drinking, fighting) and ended up sent to what is called a Hull Tech shop on my ship. Learned quite a bit aside from plumbing as well. It was a decent gig - traveled the world and unplugged toilets!

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Sounds like a good adventure, my best friend in high school went in the Navy and was a Sea Bee, came out and makes a small fortune in the concrete business last I heard he moved down to New Orleans after Katrina.

That's the problem with being young, full of piss and vinegar, I was the same

edit on 28-6-2017 by darepairman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: darepairman
Fools, don't even waste your time with this one, He/she is so stuck on themselves, that they cant even see that there are other kinds of people that do other kinds of jobs than them.

Then you've completely misunderstood me. I don't care what jobs people do. People should do what makes them happy. I just don't think we should lie to people and tell them that something is going to provide them with a good living. Trades are disappearing, and even if they weren't, the wages are getting top heavy and they still can't even crack the median income on average. That's not a good living, that's the sort of living where you'll be lower middle class for most of your life, rely on a 2 family income, and never have financial security, much less financial independence. You'll be lucky to maintain middle class at retirement, especially for people in my generation and earlier who won't have social security, and due to a lack of ability to afford health care you'll likely die 10-20 years earlier.

If someone still wants to work with their hands, that's fine. Just don't lie to them about their future in order to encourage them. More over, don't repeat the lie in order to lie to yourself.

originally posted by: Fools
Hopefully some young people will see this sort of opinion and understand this sort of person has nothing valid to offer civilization and try hard to be the opposite of it.

Probably, I certainly don't think I offer much. I know how to use a bunch of tools, but I've never invented anything new of actual worth. That's the same for you right? You learned some metal fabirication and how to build parts for a ship. Never figured out how to build better ships though, did you? So what exactly did you offer civilization other than the bare minimum?

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   

I help manage a very large and very important financial network. I have no inventions, but so few do. I think who is misunderstanding things is you. Many many people live comfortably with "non professional" degrees. Many more people live comfortably running their own small business.

The last thing this world needs is 100 million 24 year olds coming out of college with no real skillset other than whining about everything and thinking they have the answers to all the worlds problems.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: FoolsI have no inventions, but so few do.

And that doesn't strike you as a problem? People claim to be educated on a subject, yet are for the most part completely incapable of even finding areas of it to improve?

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Improving the lot of humanity has many facets. Invention is just one of the many. The oddity that you think technology is the main driver of human improvement shows that you have not thought this through.

No offense, although I am sure you feel it - but being a human is the greatest gift a soul can have as far as "we" can tell.

For those people that are good thinkers and inventors, I think many of them would tell you that the current university climate is actually anti invention because it is against individual gain via invention.

There is alot of corporate sponsoring that is neglecting the brilliance and showering all the love on their stock holders and the government crones that protect them.

In effect at this point if you are one of those antifa types, you are being bought by the very thing you complain against. I am sure on floor 75 (or whatever) in NYC or London they are all having a good laugh at your support of their agenda.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 04:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: Irishhaf

Got it, you do not have the slightest idea about trade skills but will never admit to that.

You are trying to split hairs and refuse to accept that you can make a good living with your hands...

I know a little bit about them but not much. Educate me.

I will argue the point that you'll make a good living out of it though. Trades, and any job that relies on physical labor simply doesn't work as a career. Your body is a depreciating asset while your mind is an appreciating asset.

Every day your body loses a little bit of value and a little bit of earnings potential. Despite your experience in your 50's you're simply not as physically capable as a 20 year old. Say you have to work until 70, and the situation is even worse. Your mind on the other hand only appreciates with time, as a dumb 16 year old you're not going to know much, but by the time you're 60 you'll be a good deal smarter.

Tying your ability to earn to your body simply isn't a good business move, especially for people in my generation who will likely never be able to retire (or be in our 80's when we do). It's much better to invest in your mind, because you passively gain more skills and experience simply through living life, to say nothing of if you actively cultivate it.

On top of that are the wages, jobs that are mentally taxing tend to pay much better. Again, using the 100k marker, any decent computer job will start you at 100k. You don't build up to that... that's what they give you to start, 0 experience. Sure, you can make a living at trades, someone has to do it. How long can you keep it up though? Can you still do it at 80?

You really do not know... you are confusing manual labor with trade jobs.. There is a certain degree of physical labor with trade skills but not all of them require you to dig ditches for a living or carry heavy loads for long hours of the day.

100k huh... not in a lot of corners of America will you start out at 100k in a programming or IT job, Heck the ONLY place I know for certain you can start there is if you get a federal job and have experience can you begin around 100k a year.

ETA: oh and I guess in some of those god awful areas where the cost of living has climbed to somewhere around the moon, I imagine starting salaries can be high as well.

edit on 29-6-2017 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-6-2017 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: allsee4eye

Milania must be so angry seeing a headline like that? Daddy loves your Big Sister more, boo hoo. It's enough for a kid to grow up and become Liberal Xtream the future version of Liberal extemism.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Don't call me a lier son.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join