It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Summer reading list

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Hello all. I am interested in finding a few book recommendations to add to my reading list.
I am open to all suggestions.

I am currently reading a 1985 reprint of "Atlantis, The Antediluvian word." The classic illustrated edition of 1882 by Ignatius Donnelly.

Second on my list is a 1955 edition of "The Dead Sea Scrolls" by Millar Burrows.

Third up is "The Edgar Cayce Companion" compiled by B. Ernest Frejer. 1995 edition.

It is amazing the books you can find at flea markets.
Do you have any interesting books to suggest?

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: abago71

Read House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski, it may even take you all summer to finally finish it after re-reading the book and all its footnotes several times.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Shantaram: A Novel: Gregory David Roberts is the best book I've read

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Flea markets are good 'libraries' so is peoples trash. I just finished a month of digging in a curbside 'spring cleaning' program for a local city, got lots more books to read and store. People usually throw away good ones, (controversial, alternative opinion, expose) learned a lot that way...

People want to get rid of the books that go against the grain, main stream officialdom.

Get ahold and read anything by Hunter S. Thompson, and read "One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest", too.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I've an Edgar Cayce book on diet and nutrition I thought was interesting. Pretty sure it's called Edgar Cayce on diet and nutrition. lol

I can never choose, here's what's on my reading table (night stand).

Meet the Hybrids by Miguel Mendonca and Barbara Lamb. > Believe what you will, but I really like a few of those folks.

The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell with Bill Moyers. >An interview that can give you ideas for many summers of reading.

Tibetan Book of the Dead translated by Robert Thurman. > Don't let the morbidity of the title throw you, it's a great book and about the 3rd reread for me.

edit on 6/15/2017 by beezwaxes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Hi fellow bookworms!
I just started Pynchon's Mason and Dixon. It may take me all summer to read it
Here's an excerpt:
About tsunami-like waves overtaking an island:
"Not as spectacular, older residents declare, as the Rollers of '50. Then, it seem'd, 'twas the Triumph of a Sea gone mad, and the Island must be lost.... Being part of a general Exodus to high ground, one may not pause for too long to gaze and reflect on the fastness of empty water-plain, the Sun-glare through the salt Mists after the sleepless climb thro' the Dark,--the only Choices within one's Control, those between Persistence and Surrender. Within their first week upon the Island, all visitors have this Dream."

The island Pynchon was describing was St. Helena- his description of the island is beyond intriguing. This island is where Bonaparte was detained. Here's a Wiki about this fascinating place:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   

The Silk Roads: A New History of the World
by Peter Frankopan

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   
The books I am currently reading:
Rebel Island by R Riordan
The Appollo Trials: The Dark Prophecy by R Riordan
Under the Dome by S King
Salt to the Sea by R Sepetys
Echo Burning by L Child
The Last Centurian by J Ringo
and
Ender in Exile by O Card

I know . . . I have a bit of an attention issue, thus so many books at once.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   

One of my favourites is The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien.

Its an odd little novel which I can't really describe without going into the full story but is slightly metaphysical and full of strange bicycles!
You have to read it in an Irish accent to get the full effect.

You could probably read it in a day (if you're not busy) and, when you've finished, its a bit like waking from a dream.

One I'm still looking for is Malpertuis by Jean Ray. Got my eye on one on a certain auction site but watching before I bid.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions. This is more than enough to keep me busy for the summer!

I used to be a voracious reader. I would try to read one book a week with a yearly target of 50 books. But life happens and i am lucky to read 2 or 3 a year. Now that I am home full time, I need to change that.

I have been collecting books for future reading upon retirement. I have two large bookcases filled with unread books.
I also have a massive ebook library, but I find tangible books much easier to read.

My books cover a variety of subjects. Mostly nonfiction.
I do have a few favorite fiction authors that I really enjoy and would recommend.

Tim Dorsey has a series involving a lovable serial killer and his stoner sidekick. It's morbid, but hilarious at the same time. "Triggerfish Twist", "Nuclear Jellyfish" and "Florida Roadkill" are a few. I think he is up to 20 books in the series now.

Christopher Moore is another one I love. Gems like "Practical Demonkeeping" and "Lamb (The gospel according to Biff, Christ's childhood pal)" are two standouts of his catalog. Oh, "Island of the Sequined Love Nun" is a good one as well.

I have also read and enjoyed a few Tom Robbins novels. My favorite of his is "Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates"

As you might see, when it comes to fiction, i prefer humor.

Sorry for the rambling.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Theres tons of humour in The Third Policeman.
Very quirky humour.
Flann O'Brien is one of my favourite writers and I barely read fiction anymore.
Another one of his best is At Swim Two Birds which is utterly confusing and very very hard to keep track of, even after several readings.
I'd recommend all his books (and collections of newspaper columns) but I'd really start with The Third Policeman.
Anyone who starts with At Swim Two Birds runs the risk of putting themselves off him for life.
Best to ease yourself into his world slowly.

Anyway, hope you give it a try and enjoy the summer

join