It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exclusive - U.S. expands presence in Syrian desert, rebels say

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 06:25 AM
link   
I suppose the USA thinks by bombing pro Assad forces who are fighting ISIS that will somehow defeat ISIS ? Whoever dreamed up our mid-east policies should be put in jail or worse IMO.

AMMAN (Reuters) - U.S. troops based in Syria's southeastern desert have expanded their footprint, rebels there say, increasing the risk of direct ground confrontation between the Americans and Iran-backed pro-government forces.

U.S. special forces have been based since last year at Tanf, a strategic Syrian highway border crossing with Iraq, where the Americans have assisted rebels trying to recapture territory from fleeing Islamic State fighters.

The U.S.-backed Syrian rebels in the area are in competition with pro-government forces who are also trying to recapture territory from Islamic State.

On several occasions in recent weeks, warplanes of the U.S.-led coalition have struck pro-government forces to prevent them advancing, in what Washington has described as self defence.

Abu al-Atheer, military spokesman for the U.S.-backed Maghawir al-Thawra rebel group, told Reuters U.S. forces had spread from their initial location at Tanf to set up a second base at Zakf, around 60-70 km (40-50 miles) to the northeast.

newsletter.thaivisa.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Yeah there's been a massive increase in direct US support for terrorists in Syria as of late. It comes down to the fact that without direct intervention, probably an invasion at this point, the "moderate" opposition is done for.

A few days ago the Syrian Army and Iraqi Army, plus their allied Militias met up for the first time on the border. The Iraqis are no friends of the Syrian terrorists, so very bad news for them.

Not to mention numerous recent Syrian offensives against the terrorists (moderate opposition) have been absolutely disastrous for the terrorists.

Long time allies of the terrorists, like Jordan, seem to have switched sides in recent days. I can't find it now but I read an article about the Jordanian military firing on fighters who were attempting to flee from the Syrians by crossing into Jordan. On twitter there were reports of Jordanian artillery firing on terrorist positions in support of the Syrian Army.

I hope Trump sees the writing on the wall and doesn't do anything stupid. If I recall correctly one of his campaign promises was to end baseless US aggression against Syria and stop aiding the terrorists that Obama, Hillary and Kerry supported.
edit on -050006am6kam by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

I hope Trump sees the writing on the wall and doesn't do anything stupid. If I recall correctly one of his campaign promises was to end baseless US aggression against Syria and stop aiding the terrorists that Obama, Hillary and Kerry supported.

Amen brother but I am slightly afraid the deep state has him by the short hairs at this stage..

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
a reply to: Ohanka

Amen brother but I am slightly afraid the deep state has him by the short hairs at this stage..

"The buck stops at Trump."
"America first."
"No more regime change."
"Lock her up."

But I suppose that's all "the deep states," fault, too?

"Anti-establishment," lol.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   
The contractors just put our their "we're hiring" sign....

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Excellent thread. Yes, as Rome burns, the Emperor fiddles.

As US forces are illegally in another country trying to overthrow the government, the federal government can talk and think only of how the Russians stole the election from Hillary.

My goodness, we have the government we deserve.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   
U.S. coalition exchanged fire with rebels in Syria: spokesman

BEIRUT (Reuters) - U.S.-led coalition forces returned fire after being repeatedly shot at near Manbij in northern Syria, where they are patrolling near areas held by Turkish-backed rebels, coalition spokesman Colonel Ryan Dillon said on Tuesday.

“Our forces did receive fire and return fire and then moved to a secure location,” he said by phone.

The incident reflects the complexity of the battlefield in northern Syria, where the Russia-backed Syrian army, Kurdish forces aided by the U.S.-led coalition and Syrian rebels supported by Washington’s ally Turkey are all operating.

The coalition has told Turkey to tell the rebels it backs there that firing on U.S.-led coalition forces “is not acceptable”, Dillon said.

So the 'good terrorist' are now turning their weapons against those who equiped and trained them ?

After Making Ceasefire Deal With ISIS U.S. Condemns Lebanon For Making Similar One

Last week the Lebanese Army and Hizbullah defeated ISIS in the Lebanese-Syrian border area of Qalamun. A ceasefire was announced and a deal was made. Lebanon received the bodies of its army fighters earlier captured and killed by ISIS. The remaining ISIS fighter and their families would disarm and receive free passage to ISIS held areas in east Syria.

The U.S. has now launched a media campaign against this deal. The Iraqi government has joined in.

As noted in the last Syria Summary here:In the Qalamun area at the Lebanese border the Lebanese army and Hizbullah attacked the last ISIS enclave along that border. Today the remaining 200 ISIS fighters in the area agreed to lay down arms in exchange for an evacuation towards east-Syria.

The later announced total of evacuees was higher with 308 ISIS fighters and about 500 of their (civilian) relatives. These are transported in 17 buses and several ambulances across Syria towards the Syrian city of Abu Kamal at the Iraqi border.

The U.S. military threatens to bomb the convoy:The American military coalition strongly criticized on Wednesday a decision by the Lebanese Army and its allies to allow Islamic State fighters safe passage across Syria, and did not rule out airstrikes against the convoy, according to the coalition’s spokesman. “We will take action where necessary; those would be absolutely lucrative targets,” Col. Ryan Dillon, spokesman for the American-led military coalition in Iraq and Syria, said. “We are monitoring them in real time.”
Colonel Ryan said the agreement undermined efforts to fight the Islamic State in Syria.
“The coalition, we are not party to this agreement between Lebanon, Hezbollah and ISIS,” he said. “Their claim of fighting terrorism rings hollow when they allow known terrorists to transit territory under their control. ISIS is a global threat, and relocating terrorists from one place to another is not a lasting solution.”

This is ridiculous. Over and over the U.S. gave ISIS all chances to grow and to escape destruction. It itself made similar cease fire and retreat deals with the Takfiris.

The ISIS core was groomed in a U.S. prison in Buqqa, Iraq. It later came from Iraq into Syria. Obama as well as then Secretary of State Kerry are on the record saying that they intentionally let ISIS grow to oust the Iraqi Prime Minister Maliki and the Syrian President Assad. The U.S. let ISIS flee from Fallujah and protested when the Iraqi government bombed the escaping ISIS convoys. In the assault on ISIS held Mosul the U.S. military held open a corridor towards Syria to let ISIS fighters escape. Recently 1,800 out of 2,000 ISIS fighters fled from Tal Afar towards Syria before the Iraqi army assaulted the city. This is why I could take the city in just 10 days. U.S. action was designed to enable ISIS to take Deir Ezzor and only a heroic defense by Syrian troops prevented that.

There is no limit to US hypocrisy and belief in US-exeptionalism. The US should win wars even proxy ones or learn how to lose with decency.

top topics

join