It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intentional misspeak intended to grab the wow factor, or honest mistake?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   
www.realclearpolitics.com...

At a news conference on the shooting at a Republican baseball practice in Alexandria, Governor of Virginia Terry McAuliffe (D) called for gun control. McAuliffe called for more background checks and ending "gunshow loopholes." McAuliffe said 93 million people are a victim of gun violence a day.

"This is not what today is about but there are too many guns on the street," the governor said Wednesday morning. "We lose 93 million Americans a day to gun violence."

Taken at face value, this would mean that we'll be out of Americans by sometime after midnight Sunday morning...

McCauliffe later corrected the record and stated that he intended to say 93 Americans a day, but even that number is somewhat misleading. Over half, 58, die at their own hand in suicides. There are 121 suicides in the US per day... 63 of those use something other than a firearm because they don't have access to a firearm. I think it's a ridiculous exercise in ass grabbing to presume the 121 number will be impacted in any way by stricter firearm controls. We'd simply see a dramatic increase in hangings, slit wrists, and intentional overdoses. So the number that actually matters here are the 32 people shot by someone who intended to do them harm.

Regardless of that ideological argument, I'm left wondering how unintentional this "misspeak" really was. Consider McCauliffe has a bit of history in dabbling in the melodramatic exxageration arts.
www.politifact.com...

McAuliffe said the $2.4 billion budget shortfall he and lawmakers resolved last year was "a record deficit" for Virginia. When we questioned about the assertion, a spokesman said the governor misspoke.

Indeed, the reddest ink in Virginia was seen in 2010, when the state, in the teeth of recession, faced a $4.5 billion shortfall for the coming two-year budget.

We don’t suggest the crisis McAuliffe faced was peanuts or question the explanation that he made a simple "slip of the tongue."

But words matter, and we rate McAuliffe’s statement False.

www.bostonglobe.com...

Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe stirred up the anti-TPP crowd when he said in an interview with Politico that he expected Clinton would back TPP if elected. The Clinton campaign quickly denied that, and McAuliffe walked it back. Warren said she believes McAuliffe misspoke and trusts Clinton will keep her word.

the.honoluluadvertiser.com...

Don't get me wrong, this is rampant on all sides, such as Mitt Romney's famous "I'm not concerned about the very poor," Hillary Clinton's Bosnia misspeak, Paul Ryan "misspeaking" when he essentially called the Pentagon generals "liars" and questioned their budget requests some years back, and John McCain blaming a misspeak for his claim that Iran was training and funding Al-Qaida. My question is why do we the People allow it to continue? If we were standing at a urinal and felt a stream on our leg, looked at the pisser and he said "it's raining" only to say "Uh, I misspoke, it's pee" after calling him on it, would any of us accept that response, or would the majority of us go into rage mode? I know my answer to that, and I suspect it is the majority answer and, not coincidentally, one of the reasons people don't piss on another's leg and lie about it as common practice. Nobody likes a broken nose or spitting bloody chicklets into the urinal trough, so they don't try to screw you over while dismissing lies as misspeaks.

This horsecrap of sensationalizing politically motivated speech is one thing, blatant lying is another, and following it up with an excuse the media essentially goads Americans into accepting is yet a third different animal all together.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Shooting at people for no reason is already against the law. So is murder.

Are criminals going to obey new gun laws?

I think not...it will just make the law-abiding citizens targets.

WASHINGTON: STOP trying to take our rights.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Politics has an approximate relationship to Reality.

The Theory of the Big Lie is based on this.

Too many of these fools have been successful by lying.

It's second nature by now.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I agree...happens a lot. Intentional "mis-spoken" statements made in an "Oops...sorry. I mispoke" manner.

They still get said....and hard to forget what one hears initially with the first statement(s). Therefore...the intended impression/effect is achieved.

MS

top topics

join