It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MDA Seeking HALE UCAV to be Armed With High Energy Laser

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   

The United States is looking to field a laser-armed unmanned aircraft to intercept intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs) towards the middle of the next decade, the Missile Defense Agency (MDA) disclosed on 13 June.

In a solicitation posted on the Federal Business Opportunities (FedBizOpps) website, the MDA Advanced Technology Directorate said it requires a high-altitude long-endurance (HALE) unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) with the payload capacity needed to carry a high-energy laser system payload to high altitudes for Boost Phase Intercept (BPI) of ICBMs in the 2023 timeframe.

Performance specifications listed in the RFI call for the HALE UAV to be able to fly higher than 63,000 ft; to have an endurance of greater than 36 hours on-station (plus flight time for notional 3,000 km transit to station); to be able to fly at a cruise speed of less than Mach 0.45 at on-station altitude; to have a payload capacity of at least 5,000 lb (2,268 kg) and as much as 12,500 lb (5,670 kg); have power available for the payload of at least 140 kW and as much as 280 kW for greater than 30 minutes with no loss in platform altitude; to support a one- to two-metre aperture optical payload; have low vibration at altitude, with angular displacements of less than 50 µrad; and to maintain continuous positive ground control.

www.janes.com...

I am unaware of ANY UAV that can produce and sustain that much power. That's a LOT for the smaller turbines used by the UAVs.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Brought to you by L&M fusion generators perhaps.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

No, not necessary. An M-1 tank's turbine puts out 1.5 MW, frex. 20% of that power output can be put out in a much, much smaller package.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

And how much will it weigh and the fuel needed weigh?

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

A GE T64 could easily supply the power, actually, if used just as a generator. In fact, even if there was a 10% efficiency from the horsepower to the beam energy using the T64, you would have the MDA's high end needs. Energy generation has not been the problem for a long time now.

People don't realize just how powerful these engines are.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Wouldnt have the speed to get to an intercept trajectory for an ICBM.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

Apparently the performance specs are close to what the U-2 has and unmatchable by any (known) existing system.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   
RQ-180?

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

LQ-180, or would that be QL?

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Badgermole42

I doubt the L designation will last. However, the 180 might be possible. The problem is the power generation for a laser. The turbine on it was not designed that way for the 180 probably.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Mr. Beeblebrox had mentioned some rumored designation changes with the "-180" so I just latched on once I saw Blackfinger's post mentioning the RQ-180.

LQ would be the appropriate guess for an unmanned lazer platform I think....of course engagimg something that is in boost phase would be air-to-air so, perhaps "FQ"? Nah, they couldn't do that.

new topics

top topics

join