It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets Get Rid of The Anti-Gun Argument Before It Even Starts. RE: Congressman Shot 6/14/17

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   
In case you havnt heard yet, there has been a shooting at a congresional baseball practice. To find out more check this thread.

In the above mentioned thread, it only took until page 8 for someone to post about gun regulation.

Let's take a look at what someone who was actually there had to say.

“The only reason why any of us walked out of this thing, by the grace of God, one of the folks here had a weapon to fire back and give us a moment to find cover. We were inside the backstop and if we didn’t have that cover by a brave person who stood up and took a shot themselves, we would not have gotten out of there and every one of us would have been hit — every single one of us,”

That's right the only reason they were able to get out of there without more being injured was because someone there was armed.

But if the shooter never had a gun it wouldn't have happened in the first place you cry.

BS.

Just because something is made illegal doesn't mean you cant get it. Look at drugs. They are completely illegal yet I could go down to any local high school (ironically a drug free zone) to get just about any drug I wanted.

Criminals will still be able to get guns no matter what the law says. And if this guy couldn't have, hell he could have easily drove a big truck on the field or made a pressure cooker bomb as we have seen people do not long ago.

Crazy people who want to kill will do so no matter what your laws say. If they cared about your stupid gun regulations they wouldn't be thinking about killing someone in the first place. I prefer to be armed when the crazy people come out.

Read more of Rep. Bishops account of the incident.

edit on 14-6-2017 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

Well said.

In this case anyway, more guns were the cure.

Now if they just let us average joe publics carry our own (in public) like they do...

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Also, 50/50 chance the the gun the guy had was "illegal" already.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   
A) It was police officers, not a carrying citizen, who returned fire and wounded the guy (from reports I have read).

B) Until we know who the guy was, what gun he actually had, how it was purchased/obtained, and his criminal/mental health record...

We can't get "rid" of this "anti-gun" argument.

(And I am NOT anti-2nd amendment)

ETA:

Just want to point out that Virginia is both an open carry and a permitted conceal carry state (neither of which I am against).
edit on 14-6-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Put a bullet in the gun, place the gun on a table pointing at the road, get a stop watch, time how long it takes for the gun to fire the bullet, stop the clock as soon as a human touches the gun - that doesn't count.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
A) It was police officers, not a carrying citizen, who returned fire and wounded the guy (from reports I have read).

B) Until we know who the guy was, what gun he actually had, how it was purchased/obtained, and his criminal/mental health record...

We can't get "rid of this anti-gun argument.

I tell you this, If I had a gun and someone started shooting people, I would use that gun to shoot the person. I am a good shot, I could definitely hit the person if I was shooting at him. I do not carry my guns around with me though. It is important to identify if the person you see shooting is actually not a good guy shooting at someone who is actually killing other people though. A small war could erupt if people are not observant, with good people shooting good people. I support concealed weapon permit legislation.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

Irrelevant. It doesnt matter WHO it was. If anything this "A" bolsters the argument for more citizens to carry.

B) Until we know who the guy was, what gun he actually had, how it was purchased/obtained, and his criminal/mental health record...we can't get "rid of this anti-gun argument.

Why not? Like I said, someone who wants to do evil will do so no matter what. When someone runs people over with a truck do we need to know what kind of truck it was to know that it isn't the trucks fault?

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I tell you this, If I had a gun and someone started shooting people, I would use that gun to shoot the person.

So would I.

It is important to identify if the person you see shooting is actually not a good guy shooting at someone who is actually killing other people though.

I support concealed weapon permit legislation.

So do I, absolutely. I never said or alluded to the fact that I didn't.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   

If anything this "A" bolsters the argument for more citizens to carry.

To lawfully carry, and through the proper channels and with the proper checks, yes.

someone who wants to do evil will do so no matter what.

Yes, they will. So should we make is easier for those who want to do evil to do so?

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I've given up on even entertaining any anti-gun perspectives, because they're all based in some utopian impossible 'what if they didn't exist?' fairytale neverland.

The reality is this, if firearms were never conceived, human beings would have no doubt adapted, evolved and improved upon bows, spears, knives, ect., to the point of them becoming just as deadly. Badguys would use them, which by default means the Goodguys have to acquire the same to protect themselves... why is reality so hard to accept?
edit on 14-6-2017 by rexsblues because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   
The progressives will undoubtedly try and exploit this tragedy but the fact remains that a tragedy of EPIC proportions was avoided today thanks to the guns carried by scalise's personal guards..

This fact is inarguable.

As an aside, my [great] state allows for school districts to approve certain teachers be armed...
Texas enacted this law for this very reason...to stop a tragedy before it happens...

-Chris

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

To lawfully carry, and through the proper channels and with the proper checks, yes.

Agree and would add with proper training.

So should we make is easier for those who want to do evil to do so?

My point is, it is already easy for them. They can steal, buy on the black market, etc. Imposing tougher restrictions on law abiding criticizes really does not affect them. Like my drug analogy, you can get whatever you want very easily.
edit on 14-6-2017 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   
More people should be carrying, imo.

The lyin' media, lyin' politicians, lyin' celebrities stir up the masses every night and day. They re-enact plays depicting our president being murdered, they hold up the bloody beaten decapitated head of our president, they stand before crowds and talk about burning the White House down and doing other vulgar and violent things to our president, comedians encourage it with their hateful rhetoric.

Politicians tell hyperbolic lies about the policies...."people are going to die if we repeal ObamaCare", "families are going to be separated if we pass common sense immigration policies", etc etc.

There are nutjobs out there. They listen to this hate filled rhetoric and let the hate take hold.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   

No let's not forget the anti gun argument, it's a vital part of the discussion along with mental health issues and terrorism foreign and domestic.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Stop making sense.

A link to the quote would be nice as I'll be posting it all over the place.

Though Trump makes me nervous.

Heres a guy who has criticized the NRAint, supported Clinton's AWB and agreed with the NRAint's endorsement of Rahm Emanuel's "No fly/No buy" list after the Orlando shooting.

a reply to: BlueJacket

New York and New Jersey? Really?

Owning a firearm in these Communist states is like having a go-to jail license.

Open carry? LOL.

edit on 14-6-2017 by gladtobehere because: typo

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

The fact remains that there were people there who were armed and were able to return fire and buy others time to find cover. It doesn't matter that they were police, only that someone was immediately able to slow the perpetrator down. Its a good example of how an armed response, police or civilian, can help reduce the damage when something like this happens.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

They do in many states:
Alaska
Montana
Idaho
Wyoming
Nevada
Arizona
New Mexico
South Dakota
Vermont
Kentucky
Virginia
Ohio

States permit open carry with restrictions: (13)

Utah
North Dakota
Minnesota
Iowa
Tennessee
Mississippi
Georgia
Indiana
Maryland
New Jersey
Rhode Island
Connecticut
Massachusetts

States prohibit open carry: (7)

New York
Oklahoma
South Carolina
Arkansas
Texas
Illinois
Florida

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   
S & F Excellent post! There is really nothing that I can add to your well written OP. Just wanted to stop and give you some support.

a reply to: BlueJacket
WV is now a state where you can open carry without a permit.

edit on 6/14/2017 by Martin75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

NC is as well. CCW is also an option, though you have to be licensed.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   
So in a bid to shut down the anti-gun people from making this political, all you pro-gun people have leapt in first to make it political?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join