It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'A number of fatalities' confirmed as huge blaze 'sparked by a faulty FRIDGE' engulfs 27-storey buil

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

If this were 9/11 the building would have collapsed at free fall speed.

In other news: isis claims responsibility. The FAA will begin banning carry-on refrigerators on all flights.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 07:01 AM
link   

This is an absolute outrage.

This building was recently refinished, as well as being one of several such buildings featured in a report by a member of the government, which was buried because it made the development and ownership of the building, no doubt friends or associates of members of the government, look like the back stabbing, slum lord scum they really are. Apparently this buried report detailed several safety issues including the fire risk presented by buildings following this design and construction plan.

I am absolutely disgusted right now. Its bad enough when things go wrong despite the best intentions of everyone concerned, but the fact that a report on this very issue was sat on during the refurbishment, a report whose findings could have made a difference to the housing plan and the nature of the refurbishment procedure and by extension could have saved lives, means that this is not a tragedy. This is not an accident or a mistake, or some kind of excusable happenstance of fate. This was an avoidable failure at the government level, to protect the lives of those who dwelt in this block. I grow sick, sick to the back teeth and my deepest bones, of the government failing to act in defense of its people.

Look at the situation with terror. The overwhelming majority of people who have successfully committed terror offences in this country, were known to the authorities, and only succeeded because the authorities failed to act, for no reason which holds weight. The NHS is failing, not because there is no money for it, but because the government do not wish to spend on it correctly. Tens of thousands of people in at risk groups have died as a result of government cuts, which they were warned would happen, and went ahead with anyway. And now this, yet another loss of life which has its root in a failure to act appropriately on information the government had access to.

This is the most appalling negligence, if not manslaughter, that one can possibly imagine. I cannot fathom how anyone, even the most despicable individuals ever born, could allow a tower block full of people to be killed or injured by fire, purely because the powers that be wish to save both face and pounds... I am utterly aghast, and while my empathy for the victims is enormous, I cannot help but be determined that the government get called out for their part in this horror.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I agree I believe that there will be a strong case for criminal negligence in the aftermath of this.

This seems to be the tower block equivalent of the Hindenburg

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

It does rather.

At least though, with the Hindenburg, the technology for that sort of craft was still not quite perfectly understood, to say the least of it.

But avoiding structural fires in tall buildings is rather less of an arcane art, and again, there was every opportunity to step in and make certain that the best possible materials and methods were used in the refurbishing process.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 07:19 AM
link   
There are people claiming that this story was mistakenly posted before the fire actually happened.
By both ABC News and Google.

Link

Pic

#londonfalseflag

"Sources say", the articles have since been edited with the timestamp changed.

I have only seen screenshots. I have been unable to verify this myself.

I am NOT saying this was a false flag of some type, but others are questioning it.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: abago71

People on the scene reported that they started calling the Emergency Services at half past twelve at night, but the papers are saying that the fire only broke out at shortly before one in the morning. The people on scene are the most reliable in this instance, so we shall go with their assessment.

As for the twenty three or four hour gap between first publication of the event and now, I think that this may have to do with people, and possibly google, becoming confused about time and what AM and PM mean for some reason, because I just plugged the numbers into a duration calculator, and if you get the AM and PM wrong, you get twenty three hours, and if you get it right, you get thirteen.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Thank you. That makes sense.

Here is another screenshot.

So basically, a story was posted right before midnight, then one was posted after midnight. Am I understanding this right?

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: abago71

Well, not quite. Again, the incident was being reported by citizens on the ground, to the authorities, from half past twelve at night onward, which means that the event started right around then, not at twelve or just before twelve, but around the half past twelve mark. The authorities only say that they received calls from half past one or there abouts, which is incorrect, as people on the scene will attest. However, what I am saying, is that if the people who wrote and published these stories got their information wrong about when it happened, or if google failed to correctly timestamp them, it would explain a great deal, and to be fair, its easy as heck to do.

I sure did. I forgot the number one rule of entering time values. Use military time, or civilian, not both!

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Ummm....

Is this legit?

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   
What rattled me even more is how the news felt it was important to state that this building was home to a majority of muslim's.
How in the hell does that have ANY bearing on the fact that the building is on fire and the tenants are trapped inside?

Its sickening that the news felt it was so detrimental in announcing the majority of the occupants faith.
Twisted bastards.
This is a full on tragedy.
If found responsible - I hope the owner is charged for manslaughter for every life lost.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

This is an absolute outrage.

This building was recently refinished, as well as being one of several such buildings featured in a report by a member of the government, which was buried because it made the development and ownership of the building, no doubt friends or associates of members of the government, look like the back stabbing, slum lord scum they really are. Apparently this buried report detailed several safety issues including the fire risk presented by buildings following this design and construction plan.

I am absolutely disgusted right now. Its bad enough when things go wrong despite the best intentions of everyone concerned, but the fact that a report on this very issue was sat on during the refurbishment, a report whose findings could have made a difference to the housing plan and the nature of the refurbishment procedure and by extension could have saved lives, means that this is not a tragedy. This is not an accident or a mistake, or some kind of excusable happenstance of fate. This was an avoidable failure at the government level, to protect the lives of those who dwelt in this block. I grow sick, sick to the back teeth and my deepest bones, of the government failing to act in defense of its people.

Look at the situation with terror. The overwhelming majority of people who have successfully committed terror offences in this country, were known to the authorities, and only succeeded because the authorities failed to act, for no reason which holds weight. The NHS is failing, not because there is no money for it, but because the government do not wish to spend on it correctly. Tens of thousands of people in at risk groups have died as a result of government cuts, which they were warned would happen, and went ahead with anyway. And now this, yet another loss of life which has its root in a failure to act appropriately on information the government had access to.

This is the most appalling negligence, if not manslaughter, that one can possibly imagine. I cannot fathom how anyone, even the most despicable individuals ever born, could allow a tower block full of people to be killed or injured by fire, purely because the powers that be wish to save both face and pounds... I am utterly aghast, and while my empathy for the victims is enormous, I cannot help but be determined that the government get called out for their part in this horror.

I have also heard this but to be fair at this stage even the Fire Service are not saying what the cause was or what contributing factors there may have been. We have increasingly seen people hung out to dry on social media over recent years before being later exonerated - after all the damage is done.

Basically, we should reserve judgement until after investigation. I have to say though, if these reports turn out to be accurate i would hope there would be corporate manslaughter charges as an absolute minimum.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: norhoc
And yet it did not fall demolition style. Amazing

I know, right? It was especially disconcerting given that an aircraft flew through it as well.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Just as an aside, did anyone else watching the news find it extremely distateful that they kept showing the old guy stuck in his flat? Felt like they were live screening people's deaths. If this is what ratings have come to, count me out. Every day now the last year or so sickens me more and more.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   
So, a couple points here...

1. RIP to the victims who lost their lives in this fire. God's speed to those injured.

2. The building was apparently scheduled for demolition several years ago, but this was suspended due to the influx of immigrants.

3. Fire escape is believed to have been blocked at some point on the upper levels.

4. As TB notes, there had been years of complaints to the landlord about unsafe conditions and life safety issues (i.e. fire alarms not working, sprinklers not working).

5. According to all the reports I've seen, it doesn't appear any of the life safety systems performed as intended by building codes. Sprinklers not going off would reduce the chances of survival by 80% or more on upper floors.

6. That the building was re-clad in a flammable material of any kind is criminal beyond comprehension!

Lastly, sadly, and perhaps most importantly, people talk about governments being serious about stopping terrorism. Seriously??? Here's a problem / incident which was INFINITELY easier to resolve without the loss of life...and what was done???? Nothing! Governments don't want to solve the problem of terrorism or anything else, if they did problems like this (which didn't involve terrorism) would have been corrected years ago!!! No, politicians just want their money, and then they want to sit around and TALK about it, never DO anything!

edit on 6/14/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I can't really comment on most of your points at this stage (until investgation is complete) but regarding point 6, plastic cladding is often used as it weathers better. As long as it conforms to British standards, using plastic cladding is not illegal by any means. Poor taste? Absolutely. Highly flammable? Very probably. Illegal? No.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: iWontGiveUP
Ummm....

Is this legit?

Weird. Probably just a glitch, but, who knows?

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

I understand your reticence in the matter of apportioning blame, but the simple fact of the matter is that no matter how this fire started, it bodes EXTREMELY badly for those in control of this building, that a report exists which mentions it in a poor light, and recommendations within which may very well have averted this disaster.

Unless it turns out that the place was arsonised, I would be very surprised if any cause of the fire has had nearly as much impact on its results, as the structural failings of the building itself.

I am also getting wind of reports which suggest that the landlord of Grenfell, had received legal warnings about fire safety in other tower blocks they own. The warning, issued by the London Fire Brigade, specified that in the other blocks owned by KCTMO there was:

-Failure to make a suitable and sufficient fire risk assessment
-Failure to apply principles of prevention to the implementation of the preventative and protective measures identified by the risk assessment
-failure in effective management of the preventative and protective measures
-Failure to eliminate or reduce, so far as is reasonably practicable, dangerous substances present either in, or off the premises
-Failure to provide and/or maintain adequate and clearly indicated emergency routes and exits, that lead to a place of safety
-Failure to establish an appropriate emergency plan
-Failure to ensure that the premises and any facilities, equipment and devices are maintained in an efficient state, in effective working order and in good repair

These are a matter of record I would imagine.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

Reddit is off and running with FF

Surprised it hasn't been brought up yet?

A lot of "strange" here indeed

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Which Government?

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   
nvm
edit on 14-6-2017 by abago71 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join