It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So Tired of 'Race'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Why is it that every time you talk to someone black or white we have to talk about race? How are we supposed to stop seeing people as Black or White or Asian if all we do it talk about it constantly.

I notice it on the news. I notice it on forms I fill out. I notice when I have conversations with people. It seems to always come up and not necessarily in a negative way, but enough to remind us that the person that you are talking to isn't a human...they are *insert color here*.

I coach girls on my softball team that are White, Black Asian and lesbian and it never comes up. They are just players and we have a mutual passion and interest in the game. Why can't life be like that?

How are we supposed to get past racial crap if we keep talking about it constantly?

So today I am talking to someone and they mention that it is a 'black' neighborhood. The other day someone was dating a 'black guy'. I was watching the news and someone says 'white people do this'.

I am just TIRED of this identity BS.

Just be human...please.

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I'm from New York City, we really don't give a damm what your race is. Your either cool or an a**hole, we don't care. White or black all seen to call each other the dreaded N word, it holds no power, more like a term of endearment, 'yo man your ma nig****, you know dat brother" we get along fine, the leftist agitators only get upset, people on the block don't care.

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

You have to understand the practical issues of an unfinished integration. There is a significant wage gap that has never been closed. We made intermittent progress in great fits right up until manufacturing employment peaked. There is a persistent disparity in unemployment with black folks as a group always experiencing 10% or worse unemployment.

These aren't abstract notions about race. This is historic and contemporary reality. Think of this way maybe?

A lot of racial tension would be relieved if whites and blacks were on equal socioeconomic footing as a whole. What we need is for more black people to be in the middle and upper classes. I think we can agree on that right?

How do we accomplish that at a time when the middle class is itself shrinking? Even the perception of job scarcity or economic malaise has people factioning themselves.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

What we need is for more black

You totally missed the point of this rant.

(post by odinsway removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 01:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

You have to understand the practical issues of an unfinished integration. There is a significant wage gap that has never been closed. We made intermittent progress in great fits right up until manufacturing employment peaked. There is a persistent disparity in unemployment with black folks as a group always experiencing 10% or worse unemployment.

These aren't abstract notions about race. This is historic and contemporary reality. Think of this way maybe?

A lot of racial tension would be relieved if whites and blacks were on equal socioeconomic footing as a whole. What we need is for more black people to be in the middle and upper classes. I think we can agree on that right?

How do we accomplish that at a time when the middle class is itself shrinking? Even the perception of job scarcity or economic malaise has people factioning themselves.

Wage gaps exist because some people WORK HARDER for a future. Hard to get ahead when you are in a gang with three baby mommas and 10 kids. Blame the culture and especially their role models.....rappers are not good role models.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Yeah, don't you love it when you fill out an application and it says they don't discriminate on sex, race, etc... and the very next page has them asking what you ethnicity is? Personally I always put 'other', and if they have a blank I write in American.

(post by odinsway removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I'm just anti asshole and dumbass.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 03:19 AM
link   
White people problems, right?

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 04:30 AM
link   

edit on 14-6-2017 by odinsway because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 04:34 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 07:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: WUNK22
I'm from New York City, we really don't give a damm what your race is. Your either cool or an a**hole, we don't care. White or black all seen to call each other the dreaded N word, it holds no power, more like a term of endearment, 'yo man your ma nig****, you know dat brother" we get along fine, the leftist agitators only get upset, people on the block don't care.

I love New York. It's such a cool place. A lot people just don't understand what a great place New York City can be. Yeah, stuff happens. But that's kind of the charm.

I think race relations have gotten a lot better around New York City. It's much better than when I was growing up. I think the black people are I meet seem friendlier to me than years ago. With sports and stuff in my town people are just people.

There's still more work to do but it's nice to see some improvements.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Totally agree but it won't stop until we are faced with little green people in massive ships prodding us with unbelievable technology. And we won't need to worry when that happens as we have Jeff Goldblum and a truly universal memory stick full of viruses to save us.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Well, I mean, I think this thread kind of defeats itself because now we're talking about it, and I hadn't given it much of a thought all day with the exception of Mexicans. Mexican forklifts... Americans used to could have coined that term for ourselves once upon a time. Then again, that isn't racial so much as national.

Anyway, black is black, white is white, and a lot of times it is relevant information that helps paint a picture for deeper understanding of a situation.

"This is a black neighborhood." Around here that typically means, 'Hey, there's a particular culture/mentality in this area, and you'd be wise to acknowledge it whilst here (or if you go there).'

My neighborhood is diverse. We generally acknowledge each-other by name, not race because our mentalities are similar enough to make race an irrelevant talking point.

I'm just saying. Race is and will always be a relevant, informative, and/or descriptive piece of information for whatever reason makes sense at the time.

top topics

join