It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any practicing Buddhists about?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: GAOTU789

I think there is only one kind of Buddhism, and that is the teachings of Gotama the Buddha. It is the original teachings. It is now called Theravada Buddhism and is contained in the Pali cannon or Tipitaka/Tripitaka.

But even within the Tipitaka, I believe most parts are not the original teachings. Some parts are much older than others.

I do not think Buddhism is for everybody. I think it is for particular people reaching the end of their re-iterated existences, if you believe that. In fact in most cases, the Buddha is addressing monks in his teachings and not common folk. For common folk/householders or Putthajana as they are called, there are separate teachings he had for them. I think at any level, there is something to be taken and reflected upon.

I would not call myself Buddhist as I still question many aspects of their views, but the heart of the teachings I do not question. - 8 fold noble path, right action, right speech, right livelihood, etc.

Basically the way I see it, you are purifying your heart, yourself of all the detrimental qualities through self observation and investigation. The less detrimental qualities you have, the better the quality of your life.

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones....

I favor the Zen bicycle style of path to the Bodhisattva.

However sometimes a little Nam Myho Renge Kyo when I want a sandwich.

edit on 13-6-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 05:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun
a reply to: dfnj2015

"Chinese culture and people are not as belligerent as Americans. The Chinese have practically invented everything. It's a good culture to study."

You should have stopped with the quoted material from the other source. You do realize that the Chinese people these days want nothing to do with any religion? ...

Maybe it's more accurate to say the Chinese Gov't wants nothing to do with religion. They persecute many sects, throwing them in jail and whatnot.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Thank you

I've meditated for ten years off and on and have been meditating daily for about three years. One of the reasons I feel drawn to Buddhism is because of this. I only learned that meditation is central to Buddhism about a year or so ago and that is what started my interest. Since then, I feel a draw towards it which has been augmented by my readings of some of the old books I have been able to get through my University Library.

I have started to look for people to talk to about it because I just feel its the right path for me. Many of it's core tenets line up with my values very closely.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

Thank you.

I appreciate that insight. Again, I haven't had a chance to get much further in my study of the deeper aspects of Buddhism because of Nursing School. I do feel that the 8 fold noble path has been something I have tried to lived for many years without actually knowing what it was.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Namdru

Thank you.

I hope when I finish my current schooling that I can take a few courses online. My school's religious studies options are pretty limited. I am not sure how to connect with the types of people you mention as where I live, the closest Temple is over four hours away and I don't currently know anything about them. I do plan on traveling there this summer when I can to check them out but again, I am not sure how to approach, or even recognize, the people I should be speaking to.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Might I suggest a Zen boot camp...

www.bmzc.org...

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

As amazing as that sounds, it's over 3600km away and well beyond my means at this point in time.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: GAOTU789
a reply to: olaru12

As amazing as that sounds, it's over 3600km away and well beyond my means at this point in time.

I lived in that area for 25 years and knew a lot of the folks at the center and even met the Japanese Roshi. He contracted me to make a golden lotus and when I delivered the piece; he told me I was a Buddhist and gave me a bunch of money. The Irony was delicious. Zen really appeals to me!!
Awareness and gratitude...hard to beat a combination like that eh?
edit on 14-6-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 02:41 AM
link   
A casual interest in all religions will take you further than strict devotion to one.

Theism from your heart. Or religion from another mans playbook against you . The Whore scattered the pearls. Dont buy into low level kiddy versions or private interpretation of life. Look at India for fukks sake. Most "spiritual" and they live in feces. Planted religion a la Roman whore (atleanteans are just white people traveling the globe making up #) Just like all pseudo philosophy of the culturally misappropriated.

The same people who made your culture of buying Harley John Deer and Hollyweird, made the religious cultures of the past. Think about it.

edit on 17-6-2017 by BigBangWasAnEcho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 05:12 AM
link   

It's hard to say what good Buddhists should look like. In my experience with Asian Buddhist monks, priests and laypeople, there's a matter-of-factness in the Buddhist version of basic sanity. Basic sanity does not reduce to starry-eyed openness or naive believingness. To get Buddhism one has to get beyond naivete and fantasies about spirituality, that is to say, beyond spiritual materialism, and also, beyond individualism. It's tricky because learning from others requires some surrender of one's own resistance to change, but letting someone you don't know well enough to trust properly tell you what is real, is dangerous, at least because it leads to disappointment.

Just don't buy into any small, over-hyped trips made up by somebody's ego. Sometimes the 'Buddhist' label is misapplied.

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   

SGI (Soka Gakkei International) is a Japanase-derived Buddhist sect, with about 12M members in the US and many more around the world. It focusses on meditation, which they call chanting, and concentrating on self-improvement and helping others, rather than any diversions. Chanting is very useful for clearing the mind and helping a person figure out what to do and to gather up the strength to overcome internal and external obstacles to do it. SGI has some history and ideology involved, but its main strength seems to me to be the strong inter-member support and encouragement.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join