It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Sheriff Declares “THIS IS WAR!” Tells Americans To Arm Up

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

He is saying that when your back is against the wall, not to cower and pray for help.

You keep saying that. In the Pulse night club's two bathrooms, dozens of people were jammed into the handicap stalls cowering in fear for hours, waiting for the calvary to rescue them as the lone gunman returned time and agin, firing point blank multiple times into the stalls full of defenseless patrons.

Yah sure, no-one expects it to happen, and no-one is ever allowed to be armed inside these places.

Then don't go into a gay club and get drunk defenseless. Duh.

I don't live my life in fear but i also don't exist in wreckless abandon.

Blah blah, my point was to his carrying on about arming ourselves against "massacres", when guns aren't even allowed where they occur.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: CaptainBeno

We're not all kickin like Van Damme you know...

Damn, I miss the 80's... words I never thought I'd utter!

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Today is the one year anniversary of the terrorist attack at the Pulse nightclub in Florida where 42 people died.
This might have something to do with what he said. Those kind of things have a tendency to freak people out for long periods after they are over.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate

He is saying that when your back is against the wall, not to cower and pray for help.

You keep saying that. In the Pulse night club's two bathrooms, dozens of people were jammed into the handicap stalls cowering in fear for hours, waiting for the calvary to rescue them as the lone gunman returned time and agin, firing point blank multiple times into the stalls full of defenseless patrons.

Yah sure, no-one expects it to happen, and no-one is ever allowed to be armed inside these places.

Then don't go into a gay club and get drunk defenseless. Duh.

I don't live my life in fear but i also don't exist in wreckless abandon.

Blah blah, my point was to his carrying on about arming ourselves against "massacres", when guns aren't even allowed where they occur.

Huh, strange...I carry my gun in church. Quite certain a few massacres happened there, not mine particularly. What about hammers, knifes and cars attacking you wherever?? Because a club doesn't a permit it then his argument is baseless. That's just dumb. If you can't protect yourself them maybe it's not a place you'd rather be. If you choose that over self preservation then you're simply a statistic.

All that being said, regardless of headline news, # happens everywhere. Best to be prepared.

edit on 12-6-2017 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

To be honest. Alcohol and firearms is not a good mix and would probably lead to drunken standoffs in nightclubs let alone terrorist threats. I believe that place was targeted because the assailant was gay himself? (Not sure if true).

However, i digress. Your 911 example is also full of holes. Being a Captain myself, there is not a chance in hell I would like my pressurized flying fart tubes full of itchy trigger fingers thanks very much.

I understand your aim. But to have a paranoid society walking around in School, nightclubs, movie theaters, shopping malls or roaming around the streets on the off-chance a terrorist attack "might" happen is a bit rich.

The opening for "I thought he was a terrorist" is to easy to ignore and would be used often.

You already have huge gun crime problems in the US. And the homicide rate due to guns is enormous! Well, compared to most other places on the planet.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all for protecting oneself. But if we were all armed and "Ready" it would make you think you think twice about looking someone in the eye at the meat counter huh? Who will feel the need first??

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Except that is what he is offering. Classes in what to do if faced with that kind of situation, and classes to provide people with concealed carry permits.

He is strongly encouraging people to be trained and armed, so they may not have to be a defenseless patron cowering in a bathroom stall.

What do you suggest?

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   
He very well has a point. Those that stick fear with weapons use them for that purpose. None of them expects to have to defend themselves because they have a weapon.

What started as a thought experiment has evolved into something can't fully explain. Mental preparedness. Think about someone trying to mug you. Or hurt your friends and family. Then think of any and all possibilities that can arise when making a choice. The more times you think about it and go back to it the more it evolves. Then when # hits the fan. Your ready.

Me and two friends pulls into this gas station at the same time it was being robbed. He fires into the window and bolts. I watch one friend go inside and the other starts to chase the purp. I follow pursuit behind my friend chasing the dude. Didn't want him going alone. I knew my other friend was safe. It was dark. He as wearing all black. He fired a couple of stays at us. If he would have stopped and turned around to aim, we probably wouldnt be here. We lost him in a residential area.

I play that night in my head from time to time. My only regret was not wearing a belt to keep my pants up. Slowed me way down. Oooo I wanted him. To catch him and have him pay for his crimes. Would have been nice. It is what it is. Thank go no one got hurt.

That incident only helped out my theory. Most people don't want to kill someone. Taking a human life under selfish pretenses is only for the evil. They bring a gun or knife for intimation and control. They expect that gun to do the job without ever having to use it. So instead of giving in to their whims. Fight for your life depends on it. Dont cower and beg. It's sad and pathetic and I won't have no sympathy for those.

Mental preparedness will keep you from freezing in that time of need.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   
In Texas we purposely project that image of ready to grab the family rabbit hunting 12 gauge....

When teaching the young ones safety...guns on top of fridge and top of closet in my room...not to pull the trigger when in down time.... is key...not for any reason....

Did you know some don't actually say ok.....like young adults age bracket.

I know a gal with a new Springfield handgun....ya better keep your finger off that one, the safety is when you squeeze the grip.....keep your finger outta there!

Florida and Michigan was it?
edit on 12-6-2017 by GBP/JPY because: Lordy

edit on 12-6-2017 by GBP/JPY because: Yessirr

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: TomLawless

He knew what he was talking about when it came to having a central bank.

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I go to clubs sometimes but i don't drink.
I am usually the designated driver.
And i was a federal security officer. also i have been a bouncer at a couple clubs back in my navy days.

Why could i not be the designated CCW allowed in a club if i was not drinking.

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 02:58 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

perhaps hes warning people because he knows many cops are ex militree and have PTSD and they and other ex miltiary will be the people with PTSD who will go off and the rest of the community will be defending themselves and their families against.

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 04:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011
Dont most people in the USA get killed by white Christian extremists?

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

Huh, strange...I carry my gun in church. Quite certain a few massacres happened there, not mine particularly.

Despite the sensationalized press, 'massacres' are very rare.

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: ANNED
I go to clubs sometimes but i don't drink.
I am usually the designated driver.
And i was a federal security officer. also i have been a bouncer at a couple clubs back in my navy days.

Why could i not be the designated CCW allowed in a club if i was not drinking.

Insurance. And greed. The venue owners care more about cost of liability than the safety of patrons.

Look at how sudden fire tragedies occurred in overcrowded clubs, as well as how the patrons are trapped by locked windows and barred doors, to keep people form sneaking in without paying.

deathtraps.

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn
Except that is what he is offering. Classes in what to do if faced with that kind of situation, and classes to provide people with concealed carry permits.

He is strongly encouraging people to be trained and armed, so they may not have to be a defenseless patron cowering in a bathroom stall.

What do you suggest?

Heroes. The police waited outside for hours that night. They could hear the shots inside and they stayed outside waiting...

Finally, their only response was blowing holes in the bathroom wall to get the people out. Everyone else inside was dead or dying. Thats why the death toll was so high (highest recorded) the lone gunman had ample time to keep killing.

As rare as these incidents are, they should have done their job... better, (imo). What they hire on for if not to put themselves at risk to save citizens?

As far as guns inside the club, even one behind the bar, in the office, somewhere, anywhere.
Not 'everyone armed' but even one gun could have made a difference.

Sadly, insurance companies won't allow it.

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: CaptainBeno

Well though out, thanks for that common sense reply, I agree with most of it.

The response to 911 was to thicken cockpit doors and arm captains. How you feel about that?

I'm not suggesting 'everyone armed'', most people if allowed won't carry a gun anyway, they aren't up for that.

Alcohol and guns don't mix, you are right. Every bartender should have a 'concealed' weapon under the counter.

Like I said to someone else, the insurance premiums skyrocket. Because like you, adjusters think in terms of worst case, (innocent bystanders result in lawsuits).

So nooo guns, period. At Pulse in Orlando asshole shot his way in, killing the door security guards first.

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   
This Sheriff sees a problem. Maybe he learned a thing or two about the things that went wrong at the pulse nightclub.

He knows that he does not have the manpower to manage a similar situation in his area. There is no major urban hub in Brevard County. It is quite spread out.

Agree with his approach or not, at least he is trying to do something to protect the citizens in his county.

I ask again. What do you suggest?

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Sorry, I think his declaration, "This is war" is merely grandstanding for the media, after all we are in a "war on terror", lol.

Might as well declare war on lightning, or 'stroke'.

Again, I get the need to be prepared and or armed even (blue in face). But this is just silly.

Buy guns, go to war... where we hear that before?

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   
You seemed fixed on the guns part. He also spoke of tasers and other weapons that may be useful to protect themselves. I know this is a foreign concept for many, but a large police presence is not available in many areas. Rural people know that calling the police and waiting for help may not be their best option. That is why most rural folks own guns, and why a trip through the backwoods sounds like the fourth of July every weekend. They practice. A lot.

I don't know if you are old enough to have seen the old western movies, but what he is trying to do is to educate enough of the people in his county to stay alive until help arrives and to have enough citizens trained to assist if necessary.

You may think he is grandstanding but living in a rural community in Florida, I understand the huge burden this man is carrying on his back.

He is not asking people to go out and buy guns. The people in his county are already well armed. He is trying to get them to learn how to keep themselves and their community safe by receiving training that may be beneficial to their community and to a police force lacking in manpower.

I still would like to know what you would offer the people of your county if you were this Sheriff. He will be hung out to dry if something does happen in his county. At least he can say he tried to educate and prepare his community. He knew there would be people criticizing him for his approach, I guess that is a outcome he can live with.

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
Great experiment.

Lets try allowing the entire state of Illinois complete conceal carry without permit. Can we start a petition?

Constitutional carry is great. I encourage everyone to get behind National Reciprocity as well. Call/email your reps in Washington, tell them to get behind it.

Replying to some concerns about guns in bars, Pennsylvania has no law prohibiting concealed carry in a bar. Even Alaska has such a law (you are allowed to carry only if you don't drink), but Pennsylvania law simply doesn't address it, which I find strange. PA has very backward gun laws. However, even with no law addressing it, I challenge anyone to show PA statistically has higher rates of bar shootings than states that do have laws for it.

Also, keep in mind as far as concealed carry, unless there is a federal or state law prohibiting weapons in a certain place, the sign on the door legally means nothing. The only thing they can do is ask you to leave if they discover you are carrying a gun. HOWEVER I must stress that if they do ask you to leave, you better leave, because if you don't you're trespassing. So if you know your laws, and it's just some business's ridiculous policy, ignore it and carry safe.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join