It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Got a Weird Phone Call Today

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I got a weird phone call earlier and I don't know what to make of it. It was from an LA area code. The connection seemed bad and my voice echoed when I talked. A woman with a Spanish accent said that her friend told her to call me. I asked her friend's name but couldn't understand what she said. Then I asked her to spell it. She didn't respond so I hung up, well tried to. The phone wouldn't hang up. I pulled the battery. When I went to look for the number in my call history so I could look it up online it wasn't there; like the call never happened. I'm really confused. Has this ever happened to you?

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

nope.
never happened to me

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
I got a weird phone call earlier and I don't know what to make of it. It was from an LA area code. The connection seemed bad and my voice echoed when I talked. A woman with a Spanish accent said that her friend told her to call me. I asked her friend's name but couldn't understand what she said. Then I asked her to spell it. She didn't respond so I hung up, well tried to. The phone wouldn't hang up. I pulled the battery. When I went to look for the number in my call history so I could look it up online it wasn't there; like the call never happened. I'm really confused. Has this ever happened to you?

Typical wrong number. Probably from a land line, so the number or name won't be sent through by Caller ID. If you pulled the battery out of the phone, the number won't have been saved to the SD card or the internal memory.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   

I Never answer numbers I don't know. Too many scams and/or sales calls. Very suspicious that you couldn't hang up. Maybe a scam to charge you for a "service" call?
I know there was a scam a while back [ and maybe still going on ] where you would get a call, but it'd only ring once, then, when you called back to see who it was, you get charged for an international call or something like that. The money got tacked on to your bill, but it went to a third party.

link   

A few times I experienced that: the "echo" was prob. a "doppler" effect from being on a speaker in a room on her end and your voice-reply was doubling back. And, there are also apps that can make the call be blocked from showing itself.

Why, who, what they wanted and where from? Your mystery...the TWILIGHT ZONE!

link   

Ahora sabemos donde vives. Ve y escendete, Skiddy.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Just a phishing attempt from a Mexican number spoofing a US number ? My friend is sick , so send me all your money type call . The Mexican or US switch did not disconnect the call when you did and kept the line open. Probably using some form of VOIP over a VPN tunnel. Saw it happen many times.

ETA - would explain the "echo" as well. Line degradation .

edit on 6/12/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
I entered that into Yahoo search engine and got back a link for this thread at the very top lol.

ETA: I just ran it through Google translate. That's funny, man. *Looks out the window*

¿Quién está atado debajo de tu cama?
edit on 12-6-2017 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   
i tend to not answer when i know the number
taint no way im answering some unknown #

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   

I got a phone call last week from a restricted number, I answered it and a spanish man speaking in bad english introduces himself and said I won a prize.

As soon as he said I won a prize, I said no I didn't, and hung up.

Life lessons taught me, that was a phone scam.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   

I entered that into Yahoo search engine and got back a link for this thread at the very top lol.

Huh, I got the same thing on Bing. I want to know what the hell the other 12,300 are...

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog
Wow. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   

a reply to: Gothmog
Wow. Thanks.

Now , that was just ONE possibility....dont take it to heart. Consider.
It sounds like the fake "Microsoft" calls from India....thats how they do it.

edit on 6/12/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Sounds like one of those scam calls that tries to get your voice recorded as saying "yes".

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Smart to do! They are now recording your voice. So they something like,

Unknown #: Hi may I speak to TEOT?
TEOT: This is TEOT.
U#: Is this TEOT??
Me: Yes...

They can drop off at that point. Then open accounts in your name, order crap online, all through the convenience of a phone because we are too lazy to talk to a real person (they have to be paid, makes it all more expensive) or go to a real store. Even saw a tech story where a company is selling off it's real estate (home office) because the employees don't show up at work! They are all remote now.

Who would of thought giving everybody a mobile phone would lead to all of this??

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   
She's probably a hot señorita sent to get you drunk and steal your organs.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark No not that specifically but twice last month unknown people have called me (cell) and asked me if i just called them.I chatted with one women and could find no connection between us but she said it was my number that called and then hung up on her. Looks like being an ATS member is catching up with me.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: PsychicCroMag

there is a scam going around, someone distraught calls older people from another country saying they are a grandchild or some other relative and they are in jail or some other bad thing like a car accident and they need money..,and their parents can't help or if it is the jail one they dont want their parents to know

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   

In the old days, the Police/phone company could "clamp" a line by applying 30 volts DC across the lines. This effectively prevented the 'phone from hanging up, allowing the call to be traced.

No doubt that in the digital age, call routing gets logged and so a call can be traced even though it has ended but even so, it was useful to the phone companies, so I guess they would have retained an "off-hook" assert.

And if the call was routed through an old exchange somewhere, the "clamp" would still work. If it is a spammer type call, perhaps they have retained an old PBX just so they can mess with calls like this and also give themselves many multiplexed lines. They could also disconnect the PBX and move it to maintain their own untraceability.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman
She's probably a hot señorita sent to get you drunk and steal your organs.

... but I play guitar, violin, flute, cello, clarinet and flugelhorn. I don't play any organs?

edit on 12/6/2017 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join