It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High Cortisol levels making life hell... What now?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   
My cortisol levels are over the moon.

Sudden onset (death experience, they 'got him back' and 3 surgeries plus looking at one more for a loved one, not me).

I've ballooned to 155lbs (never been over 125lbs in my life).

I can't eat anything but a rice cake once in a while or a sour popsicel.

I still can't loose the weight or stop the bloating.

I have NO energy at all. None.

Bloating starts on either side of my neck a few hours after rising.

By evening I'm HUGE (stomach).

This is NOT Cushing's disease (ruled out via doc).

It's all due to 'stress' says my doc.

But I can't take anything for it. (My body does not get along with the drugs prescribed).

So - what now? This is a nightmare.

Anyone here been through this or have suggestions.

Thanks.

peace

edit on 3947Monday201713 by silo13 because: lbs add

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

Go get a food allergy test. Impaired gut lining will raise cortisol via inflammation.

When all else fails...look to your food
edit on 12-6-2017 by BlueJacket because: Sp

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I'm so sorry that you are having a hard time. I had cushings many years ago - it was due to a little pituitary tumor. Once that was removed (surgery) all symptoms went away and life was much much better.

I didn't really gain weight...my main symptoms were thin skin that was tearing easily, high blood pressure, and horrible insomnia. So I was "tired but wired" ... I also had exercise fatigue much faster. Was running/jogging about 30 miles a week before this hit, then I could only jog a couple of miles a day and it would completely wipe me out. It sucked. It was a weird year in my life... glad it is over.

I'm confused though - you say your cortisol levels are high but you don't have cushings? Forgive my ignorance, but isn't that the definition of cushings?

I know there is cushings disease, like I had, which is caused by a pituitary tumor. There is also cushings syndrome, which I think is caused by problems with the adrenal glands. And then some people get cushings syndrome because they have to take steroids -- but that kind disappears when the drugs are stopped. (That might be called secondary cushings syndrome...) So whether you have high cortisol due to pituitary, adrenal, or medication sources it is cushings....just each one has different treatments.

Cushings is also really hard to diagnose in some people. Most doctor's have a hard time recognizing it unless it is totally textbook, in-your-face sort of presentation.

If you have high cortisol levels that are worrying you, see an endocrinologist - ideally one with experience in cushings. I'm not sure what tests you've had but they will probably want to do 24-hour urine collection, maybe midnight saliva tests (which you can do at home and send to their lab), and possibly late night blood draws. The key with cushings is that your cortisol levels are high at night when they should be low. You lose the normal rhythm of cortisol (which is supposed to be high in the morning, low at night... with cushings, it's just always high)

Good luck... I hope you feel better soon. Anything hormone related is just a big PAIN to diagnose and treat.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   

If it's "stress" as the dr. says; what's happening in your life to bring this on. If we can determine the etiology, perhaps we can deal with the symptoms.

I'm not a dr. but I do play one on TV. Watch "Night Shift"

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Definitely check your diet; drop anything fatty or with high sugar (Ginster sausage rolls are 50% fat, energy drinks are high in sugar and caffeine, retail store boxed sandwiches are loaded with preservatives, and more fat with Mayonnaise). Even mineral or sparkling water can make you bloat. Fats can clog up your lymphatic system. Even spicy rices have sunflower oil added.

Drop down to simple foods like chicken, lettuce, carrots, cucumber, broccoli, plain rice and regular water.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Check out the link in my footer, it has some suggestions that may help.

I can pretty much guarantee you have Candida that is causing the bloating and is a byproduct of weak adrenals, which means you probably have issues with sugar metabolism.
edit on 12-6-2017 by mclarenmp4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Hmmm. High cortisol levels can cause a lot of problems. The swelling started on both sides of the neck you say. That sounds like it may be some sort of infection that is causing the creation of cortisol. Can't eat anything, that is a problem, I know some ways to reduce cortisol.

What kind of food have you been eating lately, generally speaking, I may be able to figure out what triggered this. If you eat a lot of food that have pesticides in them it can trigger stress which can trigger the hyperactivity in the adrenal gland. Triclosan use can cause this too I think. It gets absorbed by the skin.

But there could be many different things that can cause this. Make some Jello and while eating it try to figure what is causing stress, jello has some properties that might help with this, make sure it is not diet jello, aspartame can have some major problems. HFCS is much better than aspartame.

You could actually have malnutrition, not being able to eat makes that worse. You get stuck in a viscious loop.

Jello is calming chemistry for most people, it is good for fingernails and skin too.

Coconut oil can moderate candida if that is part of the problem. A teaspoon twice a day, and it is calming too, I can use it to control my epilepsy and it is part of my treatment. Even butter and milk can help with that, real butter not oleo.

How were your sodium levels when you went to the doctor, you could have low sodium, some of those symptoms can come from long term hyponatremia.
edit on 12-6-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: VegHead
Wow, thanks for all the info, I mean that!

I was told it's not Cuching's by my doc who says it's all due to stress.

So much for doc's huh?

I'll look more into it as once I was told what it was not - I stopped looking into Cushings.

Thank you so much.

peace

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12
Well, I did start to go into some detail but not a lot.

Let's just say - without getting into too much detail...

My life went from stable, secure, a life I loved and a life I loved to share in with my husband to hell within about a days time. And no getting any of it back.

It only took about a month for all the signs to start up, and 2 months to be full blown ruined.

Thanks

peace

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   

From one battling Cushings herself, I can tell you that many doctors are quick to dismiss a Cushing's diagnosis, but after chasing our tails for years, my final diagnosis *IS* Cushings.

5'9" and active, I've always maintained a healthy weight of 140-145, but three years ago I began gaining extreme amounts of weight, (210 lbs in 2 1/2 years) Despite the same 800-1200 calorie diet I've maintained for years, I had ZERO energy to do anything, I suffered a major heart attack, was diagnosed as diabetic, my cholesterol was through the ceiling, I developed severe tremors in my hands and feet, suffered frequent memory loss, and all the doctors wanted to do was tell me that my caloric intake was the problem, and they proceeded to load me down with more than a dozen medications to treat the symptoms rather than cure the illness.

About six months ago I saw a new endocrinologist who immediately decided to test me for Cushings. We went through the saliva test, the dexamethasone suppression tests, reviewed a recent MRI for signs of a tumor on my pituitary, then he ordered a CT scan of my adrenals. In the end, while my original doctor wrote off Cushings because of a clean MRI of the insides of my brain, we did find a 6cm melanoma on my left adrenal, leading to a diagnosis of Cushing's SYNDROME. (not to be confused with Cushing's Disease, which is centered around the pituitary)

Due to the deterioration of my health, my endocrinologist prescribed Korlym to offset the effects of hypercortisolism, but such treatment is very expensive. (30 days worth of Korlym runs approx $57,000 bucks) Thank god the VA pays for most of my meds. (I pay $15 /mo) With a little luck I'll be ok'd for adrenalectomy soon, and I hope to get back to living life.

Don't give up, and don't let one doctor write off potential diagnoses like Cushings.
edit on 12-6-2017 by ArdentAngel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Do you get really hot and itchy if anything stresses you out?

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Before my 'life changing for the worst experience' (that cannot be resolved) I was 125lbs, could do anything and worked hard. I ate a well balanced meals with very little anything processed. Made my own bread and ate as naturally as possible. All my meat was home grown and processed.

After the 'life changer'? Meals from the hospital cafeteria. No sleep. Faced terror on a daily basis. Began drinking a small amount at night to sleep when I was 'wound up'.

I have no issues with high BP or sodium and no infection. They've checked my WBC levels often.

At the moment I'm taking turmeric, 'mother' cider vinegar, 1 tsp cumin steeped with lemon and rind in a cup of water strained and drinking it warm.

Doing the best I can to eat - but can't.

Thanks Ricky - it was a response you posted in another thread that got me to start this one. You really seem to know what you're doing.

peace

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Hot flashes at night for sure.

Why?

peace

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ArdentAngel

Incredible... I am so sorry but I have to say I'm so thankful you shared this with me.

I'll make sure the doc's have to test. I'm already in enough trouble as it is without adding some of the things you've already gone through.

I hope it all works out for you and I'm going to make sure and study up more on Cushings and the differences between them.

Thank you

peace

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: silo13

Hot flashes at night for sure.

Why?

peace

I've had this occasional very unpleasant hot sensation most of my life which sometimes includes itching all over my body. Kinda feels like I'm being cooked alive from the inside out. It seems to be trigger-able by any kind of stress, so I was just curious if someone with a cortisol issue had the same thing.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Could be - I've seen it listed under effects of cortisol.

Is there a specific trigger for this or stress in general. I mean I know you said it's by any kind but have you ever tried to narrow it down a bit?

Just wondering.

peace

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   
First off - cut all caffeine and alcohol.

Second - look into various adaptogens like Maca, holy basil, ginseng, Rhodiola rosea. Find one that works for you. Take in episodes of a few weeks on/off.

Third - go to Amazon and read the reviews for Jarrow MagMind. I've been taking it for about six weeks and it's changed my life.

Good luck!

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Check your house for mold ....and if you find anything that looks sketchy , you can buy kits off the Internet to test it . ....bad -toxic mold spores can read reck havoc on your thyroid and cause other bizarre symptoms.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Start an exercise program that tasks you with different activities. I suppose this would be called cross fit. Whole body fitness. Should involve cardio and strength training, best if combined. You want to change the activities for 2 reasons, 1 so you dont get bored and 2 so your body gets used to it preventing you from losing the calorie burn.

I would also try an elimination diet, revert to basic foods. Lean white meat or light fish and light vegetables. Slowly reintroduce grains, bread, dairy. Root veg, see if you have any reactions to pork, beef, dairy or grain. Gluten intolerance causes what you are complaining about as can a thyroid disorder. I would imagine your doc would have checked thyroid function already though...

Best of luck and get active.

I speak to you as a runner that runs over 60km a week.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: silo13
Is there a specific trigger for this or stress in general

Basically just stress and anxiety in general... Like if I'm sitting at the computer and Word freezes while I'm trying to write something, or being irritated by the room being too warm.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join