It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dog's can't look up

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I've been doing a lot of research on this, dog's can't look up at the sky. They don't anatomically have the range of motion to do so.

When they look at you they are just sitting down, so that their spine is pointing almost straight up and down. From their normal standing position on all fours, dogs can’t look up at the sky.
edit on 12-6-2017 by asrockk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: asrockk

My dogs frequently lay upside down so I think at that point they can see the sky.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

That's not the same thing.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: asrockkI've never thought about that.
I guess I just assumed when they were looking up at squirrels and birds in the trees that they could see the sky.
So, I guess they can't see straight up then?

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Dogs looking up
Dogs, haha. Pew pew.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   

They can see the sky just fine, they just can't see too much directly above them

The horizon "meeting" earth is visible so they can see plenty, like the moon in the low night sky.. etc

But I got your point of course

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: beachbound

They can't bend their head up higher than horizontal by a degree or so. That's why if you're upstairs and dog downstairs, if you shout the dog might not hear you at all. I don't own dogs though, filthy things.
edit on 12-6-2017 by asrockk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
Dogs looking up
Dogs, haha. Pew pew.

Yep looks like they are looking up to me, though the ones not on all fours are excluded
I think he meant that they can't look straight up like we can, not without standing .. but honestly, if I was on my hands and knees, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to look directly up either.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I have seen some dogs look up somewhat when catching a frisbee, not all seem to be able to do that but I have seen some do that. The location of their eyes and the fact they can point them pretty much straight up shows they do not need to turn up their heads to see up. But some can. Our little #zu I grew up with could put his nose straight up in the air if he wanted to. I don't remember the boxer being able to do that. A freind of mine has some sort of retreiver that could do that, maybe it is because they swim and stick their noses up when they swim. We used to play frisby with that dog all the time, the frisbee got pretty slimy and full of holes.

So I feel there are exceptions to this. They probably cannot move their head straight up though, but some have an increased range of motion.
edit on 12-6-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: asrockk
a reply to: beachbound

They can't bend their head up higher than horizontal by a degree or so. That's why if you're upstairs and dog downstairs, if you shout the dog might not hear you at all. I don't own dogs though, filthy things.

The shouting part, I disagree .. my dogs come flying if I yell for them from upstairs.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I don't know. I had a small jack Russell chiwawa and when I would hand her treats shed be dancing all over but looking up at me. Wasn't very good at sitting down. Very hyper. So I'm going to test this myself before I agree.

asrockk. Dogs are much cleaner then humans. Just take a look around. Humans, filthy creatures.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

I dunno....and maybe I am missing the finer anatomical points here, but my dog has looked up at the sky....like when she's heard geese flying overhead.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: ConscienceZombie

cats are the cleanest of all pets.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   
In related news,
Cats cant move their eyes.
Have to look around with their whole head.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   

The best thing about dogs is they never talk about politics.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   
They cant look straight up while standing
neither can humans
go on all 4's and try to look directly up. our necks don't bend like that...if they do, you might need to get to the hospital.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

a reply to: ConscienceZombie

cats are the cleanest of all pets.

I wish I would have known that when I would step in a fresh pile of cat poo when I got up in the middle of the night to take a leak when I lived with my ex that had cats.
I really wish I had known it when I cleaned the poo smears off of the window sills where the cats liked to sit.
It would have been handy to know when I was picking up hair balls and vomit ... scrubbing it out of the carpet.

I guess they are the cleanest.

Check out fish that live in aquariums. That is a fairly clean pet.
edit on b000000302017-06-12T11:56:41-05:0011America/ChicagoMon, 12 Jun 2017 11:56:41 -05001100000017 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

The best thing about dogs is they never talk about politics.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   

That's not the same thing.

Joke aside, my dogs can look up just fine. Every time I was on the roof working on the house, it's three stories, I would whistle down to them and they were able to look up and see me just fine. Also, as other posters have pointed out, they have looked up to see birds flying by.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
I dunno....and maybe I am missing the finer anatomical points here, but my dog has looked up at the sky....like when she's heard geese flying overhead.

That's because you have a Siberian Husky and it was checking to see if there were any security cameras around before it pushed you into traffic.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join