It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boxed in: Life Inside the 'Coffin Cubicles' of Hong Kong – in Pictures

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I see these pictures and it triggers an almost instinctual panic somewhere deep inside.

I would rather die from the elements, under a bridge, or in the woods, then be "Trapped like this.

These small, wooden boxes of 15 sq ft, are known as ‘coffin cubicles’

A 400 sq ft flat can be subdivided to accommodate nearly 20 double-decker sealed bed spaces

‘I’m still alive and yet I am already surrounded by four coffin planks!’ … Hong Kong’s cage home tenants. All photographs : Benny Lam

Cage homes are minuscule rooms lived in by the poorest people in the city. Over the last 10 years, the number of cage homes made of wire mesh has decreased, but they’ve been replaced by beds sealed with wooden planks

Photo book flip of Hong Kong photographer Benny Lam's latest "Trapped", shorlisted this year for Prix Pictet awards.

I have no reason to bitch about ANYTHING in my life. We all need perspective sometimes.SOURCE SOURCE2SOURCE3

edit on 6 12 2017 by stosh64 because: Added extra sources

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

When we get to a place like this, we have to know that we are on the wrong track. There is so much wealth in this world. There's no reason for people to be forced to live this way.

I'm with you, I'd move out to the country and do back-breaking labor on a farm for pennies a day before I lived like that. Simply horrible.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Does it have free WiFi?

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

Does it have free WiFi?

I am sure that is provided by the Government.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: TobyFlenderson

When we get to a place like this, we have to know that we are on the wrong track. There is so much wealth in this world. There's no reason for people to be forced to live this way.

I'm with you, I'd move out to the country and do back-breaking labor on a farm for pennies a day before I lived like that. Simply horrible.

This is a function of over population where too many people are trying to live in an area with limited space. The demand creates high cost of living which make it that much harder for the lower classes to find adequate housing.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   

There have been times in my life, where I would have been better off if I had something like this to come home to after a days work.

Luckily, that is not currently the case. Close, but not there.

It is disgusting that a better solution has not been found. Surely living in a container apartment would be preferable to this... you know, the ones made of shipping containers? Those are quite roomy in comparison, but still small.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Reminds me of living on ship.

Of course being the shortest guy, I got stuck with the 3rd or 4th one up.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Interesting proposition...

I suggest however that the cost of living, especially in a place like China, must be dictated by the state, so that people are never paying more than they have for accommodation of a proper size to allow range of motion in excess of that required to fully stretch the human body, while all ones possessions are inside ones dwelling.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

We've been on this track for a long time.

While Vanderbilt constructed his Biltmore Estate several million people were living in absolute squalor in the tenements of New York and Chicago.
edit on 6/12/2017 by Josephus because: overstated number of people living in tenements

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

I suggest however that the cost of living, especially in a place like China, must be dictated by the state, so that people are never paying more than they have for accommodation of a proper size to allow range of motion in excess of that required to fully stretch the human body, while all ones possessions are inside ones dwelling.

Not necessarily. However, often times government intervention such as rent control and other NIMBY rules usually has the opposite effect by raising the cost of living.

I live in Chicago. The cost of living is fairly high. However, there are areas within the city where you can find fairly cheap housing. The problem is that these areas are not as desirable. Longer commutes. Crime. Lack of amenities. Poor schooling.

The laws of supply and demand cannot be broken.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

originally posted by: TinySickTears

Does it have free WiFi?

I am sure that is provided by the Government.

Hong kong is not communist.

They are pretty much a independent country. China just provide armed forces and skim some of the vast wealth of hong kong.

There actual laws provide one of the most free markets in the world.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

The Chinese mainland does not dictate laws to hong kong.

They are more of a independent country in there own right thats a vassal of China.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   

This is pretty rough. I was just about to say "I'd rather be homeless on the streets", until I remembered the nights when I was homeless wishing I had warm shelter for the night.

All I can think about is how claustrophobic, insanitary and unhealthy it is to live in that box.

They might as well be coffins.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I couldnt live like that. Beyond a shower being that there are ways to shower while homeless, I would rather sleep in the streets.

They would be so much happier without any of that stuff all around them.

To think, this is the life of near zero carbon footprints...except without the TVs and microwaves. Makes me shiver.
edit on 6 12 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Wait.. I thought they had empty cities. Is this really about lack of space I wonder or lack of wealth being collected by the tax collectors if they house these people who can not afford a proper home..... cradle to the grave comes to mind here and it does not feel good. what travesty.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Still better than the accommodation I had at university.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

You are not listening.

The government of China, could enforce in China, a law which prevents any property being developed at all, which costs more than a certain amount per month to rent, and has at least a larger minimum surface area than these appalling sweatboxes.

So these are in Hong Kong apparently, which is not China, but an independent entity all to itself. However, the point stands. If China wanted to, they could enforce laws which prevent the cost of living from ever changing in an upward direction, preventing nonsense like gentrification, and preventing rents from becoming so high that the regular citizen cannot afford them.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

I lol'ed. Thanks I needed that today. And You raise a valid point one mans hell is man's heaven... still though...these people can't like living like that even if it is a step up from cardboard...

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   
It reminds of of the film 12 Monkeys, where in the future in the underground facility they're forced to hide in they have to keep the bulk of the inhabitants locked in prison like cages not unlike those "coffin cubicles" in scale.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: SynchronousSnake
Wait.. I thought they had empty cities. Is this really about lack of space I wonder or lack of wealth being collected by the tax collectors if they house these people who can not afford a proper home..... cradle to the grave comes to mind here and it does not feel good. what travesty.

Fascinating point.

Thanks for chiming in.

Hmmmmm

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join