It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Larry Niven Sci-fi

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Somtow Sucharitkul, his stories were in Asimov and Analog Magazines. IIRC he was also in some "best of" works.

This was one of my favorites, Tiger by the Tail and Other Science Fiction Stories first collection of short works by Alan E. Nourse (1961)

eightfold & Havoc40K your reading lists bring back memories! WOW!!!
and btw Henlein may have NOT been suitable reading for little kids, ROFL!

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Caver78
and btw Henlein may have NOT been suitable reading for little kids, ROFL!

not to drift topic but some of Heinlein's earlier stuff (Starship Troopers, Have Space Suit Will Travel) are perfectly good for kids, at least teens. wouldn't share 'Friday' or 'Time Enough for Love' with. (or Stranger...).

any more love for Footfall? Intelligent Elephants from Space!!!

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Read a lot of Heinlein when I was a teen in the late 70s.

I have to say my favorite books by him were:

The Number Of The Beast and The Cat Who Could Walk Through Walls

ETA:

Forgot to mention Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat series, but only if you feel like reading something quite funny that's not to be taken too seriously
edit on 6/12/2017 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Heinlein is a great author. Rocketship Galileo was the last one I read. I didn't realize how tame it would be, and kinda made me look elsewhere for a good read. And I'm about 11 books into Heinlein. The man who sold the moon was a book that makes you realize not everything can be achieved with power, and money. How a man pretty much figures out a way to get to the moon, and own it. Just to be told you're worth to much alive, to go and live your dream on the moon.

Hmm I haven't tried anything funny yet. I am willing to give it a try.
edit on 12-6-2017 by Crumbles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Crumbles

Doing the funny books helps one take a break from the serious ones and allows you to have a good laugh, like Douglas Adams series Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

Something silly, just to get that chuckle going. Something everyone needs here and there.

Hitchhikers is most certainly just there to make one grin (heck, we have two staff members here who's usernames are from the books, Zaphod and Zarniwoop).

The Stainless Steel Rat series by Harrison are pretty much the same, just something silly to be silly, but enjoyable at the same time. Harrison also wrote some serious stuff too, like Make Room! Make Room! which was the basis for the movie Soylent Green.

Going back to serious books, with a harder look at science, you might also give some of James P. Hogan's books a try. His Inherit The Stars series was pretty good (Imagine we go to the Moon, exploring, and find a dead human in a space suit there.......from over a hundred thousand years ago).

Thrice Upon A Time was another good one by him: imagine having a computer that is able to send messages back in time to that same computer. Future messages coming in....because of world ending events that will be happening.

I read a lot as a kid and teen since I grew up over seas in other countries where TV was watching someone else talk in a language I didn't understand, heh. So I read a lot, and SciFi was my favorite.

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 04:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful
a reply to: Crumbles

The Stainless Steel Rat series by Harrison are pretty much the same, just something silly to be silly, but enjoyable at the same time. Harrison also wrote some serious stuff too, like Make Room! Make Room! which was the basis for the movie Soylent Green.

Stainless Steel Rat is definitely good for some laughs. I've thumbed through it briefly but still have to get into the meat of her... WHEN I find a hard copy that is!

speaking of (and to digress slightly), but does anyone else have issues reading digital format? I personally cannot for the life of me read anything if it hasn't been printed on tree carcasses...

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I'm personally a huge Larry Niven fan and highly recommend ALL his books (tales ofk nown space) and the such. Never read one ididn't like.

I personally identify with his character Sigmond A. From world's series quite a bit..

Also The Apocalypse Troll, Crusade by David weber (if your into hardcore military sci-fi / space operas), Mutineers Moon (hollow moon is an ancient warship, were the descentant crew, present day) the Into The Looking Glass (just plain badass series)

Those will all change your life if you're anything like me. And may even get your conspiracy gears turning a bit......
I cannot recommend the above more. If you like sci-fi this short list is mandatory.

Although quite dark but with a sense of "bad guys get what they deserve", Galactic North by Alister Reynolds is a wonderfully creative, thought provoking, and action packed.

I came out of years of lurking to post this reply..... I hope a few of you take heed.

-Driver

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Hitchhikers guide is a great one. I watched the movie a long time ago on starz. Read the book a few months ago. I have to say they did the movie very well compared.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join