It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Meaning of Life and The Key To Happiness According to Science.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Socially evolved is not genetically evolved..

Genetically is from when those with weaker traits died.. since agriculture that really has been less and less the case.

Evolution takes place over 10's of thousands of generations.. espeacially when concerning the whole species.. hell we are prob not even all related 10000 years ago.. you might have to go back 100000 + for the last change that effected the entire species.

The truth is that you don't understand, nor believe in evolution and all happiness comes from a book telling you to mutilate people for minor trespasses against a genocidal deity that there is conspicuously absolutely no evidence for.

So it's really funny that you think you know what science has wrong.. lol..

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

Sabastian junger #975

It's good stuff.

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

I think just misguided..

Poverty has provided the threat to rally around for most people in modern history.. that's fair..

But is the most effective threat poverty??

Obviously not, because poor people who have been in battle, still long for battle. So obviously a greater threat, provided greater fulfillment.

So I think it is thinking a symptom is the disease.

Actually bad analogy..

It is thinking that treating a symptom is really the cure.

A unifying threat is primary component.. poverty is just one possible threat to rally around.. and I think an inefficient one.

edit on 11-6-2017 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Oh, and thanks for the fish!

s&f, not necessarily something I can get behind . . . but worth the look nonetheless.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 04:03 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I agree hard to put anyone in a certain category,some like living on the edge,how do you know that some of those dare devils didn't have a smile on their face when they died,sure beats getting old and slowly deteriorating,and at my age I wouldn't argue with them

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Oldtimer2

Fishing. The meaning of life is fishing.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat

originally posted by: Bluntone22
From Robert Heinlein.

“Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck.”

Man kinds natural state is a struggle to survive.

Wow, sounds like extreme elitist arrogance.

That's probably what the grasshopper thought of the ant.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

I agree that the primal instinct of a person is very ingrained with this need for a clan association, but an enlightened and introspective individual can transcend these primitive constructs and address their needs consciously through analysis and release some of these instincts without caving into them on a subconscious level (therefore reducing anxiety, stress, compulsions, etc, drastically).

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   
agreed. i think that a lot of problems started when humanity "switched" from nomadic hunter gatherer to agricultural.
but ofc i dont know much about it really.
but i know that sitting around a campfire with friends is the best thing ever.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

originally posted by: nOraKat

From Robert Heinlein.

“Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck.”

Man kinds natural state is a struggle to survive.

Wow, sounds like extreme elitist arrogance.

That's probably what the grasshopper thought of the ant.

What you said is a perfect example of the elitist mentality. Because a grasshopper is larger or stronger does not make it any more important, valuable or superior to nature. What I find is that the more valuable things (to me a least) like cultural, creative and musical/artistic things often come from people in the lower/middle classes (financially speaking).

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Well you should read the fable of the grasshopper and the ant.

The ant worked hard to prepare for the winter while the grasshopper played his music all day.
When winter came the grasshopper was starving and the ant refused to help.
So no, the grasshopper was not more important, the ant was.

edit on 12-6-2017 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

Can we really??

I don't think so..

And I'm not saying everyone should return to hunter gatherer tribes either..

But I wonder if the path to happiness today for everyone, isn't substituting those things with modern analogs.

I think a close nit neighborhood and a common enemie might do the trick.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   

I think socializing and community is a good idea. I'm not sure about looking for an enemy to fulfill your happiness. I don't think that's necessary. Plenty of other things out there to work together towards a common goal.

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 12:29 AM
link   

We are designed to live under threat..

That's why rich guys with good families are depressed hypothetically..

They have all the other measurable..

I think the threat might be the most important part.. it's what gives the other stuff a tangible value.

However what that threat is.. that might be able to a thousand different things..
edit on 13-6-2017 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Well I feel pretty good without having a threat.

But it would be nice if we had a little more affection and consideration for each other, and a sense of community.

I think what we are missing is culture. What is culture? - Stuff everyone does together that makes everybody feel good and bonded. Something everyone can participate in, but to have that first we have to be friends.

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 07:17 AM
link   

I think the threat is the cement that bongs the group and makes all the work "worth it."

That's why platoon mates, gang members , cult members and such have such fond memories of battle and have such close ties to those they experience it with.

It is why people who survive cancer can wish they were still sick..

The whole family rallies around them working for a common goal while under the threat of death..

I really wonder if our every psychological drive doesn't really go back to those handful of things.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join