It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Puerto Rican voters back statehood in questioned referendum

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Ironic that they vote for statehood on the same day that they honor the terrorist that Obama released who wanted PR independence.

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

October 29th the current govenor was sworn in and vowed to push for statehood.

That said. The overwhelming majority choose to abstain. Those who voted, like 26%, 97% voted for statehood.
edit on 11-6-2017 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Puerto Ricans should think twice. One thing that history teaches about the US: once you are in its clutches, they would rather kill you than let you go free. Freedom is a rare thing in this day, it should not be given up lightly.

Instead of looking to become a state Puerto Rico should focus on solving its huge drug problem and crushing debt.

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Makes perfect sense. "Let's get the whole states to pay our way outta the hole we put ourselves into."

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

You said "Yet, are not entitled to federal assistance."

They are. If they give more then they get back doesn't change that fact that they are entitled and do get it.

ETA: A big chunk of the money sent to the US from PR is them buying things, according to the image on that link. Foreign profit loss is another, whatever that may be. Not actually any taxation.

edit on 11-6-2017 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   

For a lot of reasons, Puerto Rico will never be a state (not in this century anyway), and those reasons aren’t all related to debt.

The main reason it’s a nonstarter this time is that Congress is going to have no appetite to take on the problems, poverty, crime, and debt of what is essentially a third world country, not to mention the billions it would cost to Federalize the island.

There is no upside to the existing states in admitting PR. Unemployment and poverty will go up as a result, and that’s a political deal-breaker.

I doubt Trump is going to be to be too keen on the idea either. The minute PR is admitted to the Union, all the numbers he loves to crunch get worse.

I am personally opposed to admitting anymore states and would be far more in favor of allowing the exiting states – especially here on the West Coast, to create new states from existing US territory (a la “Jefferson” in Cali and “Cascadia” here in WA).

edit on 11-6-2017 by SBMcG because: Correction

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Terrorist because he fought for puertorrican independence? I guess the same label fits the Founders.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Put ourselves into? Maybe you want to ask Congress why they won't give us the tools we need to deal with the crisis or why they took away those tools like being able to declare bankruptcy. Why we can only use US Merchant Fleet making us pay double for everything that comes to the island. Or why the salaries are so low etc etc. We sure did this ourselves.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

Huge drug problem because the island is one the gateways to US soil. Whatever drugs come to the island most are ending up in the US where they're worth double.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

Puertorricans have been US citizens since 1917. We've fought alongside americans in every war since WW1. This year is the 100th since we've been US citizens.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

The current governor won the election November 7 2016 and was sworn in January 2 2017.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Anyone who does not see the $$$$ just waiting for regular folks like us to be made modernizing and investing in PR is a fool.

Seriously, it is a really uneducated mindset that believes adding physical taxable land and a massive new tax base to their country is not a profitable move. If adding land was ever a bad thing, empires would have never existed.

Many Ricans also speak English too. good opportunity for those of you whos kids are grown and are getting near retirement. This place will be seeking businesses with experience from the CONUS to show up and create a better job market. Anybody who cannot see that opportunity is just clearly unmotivated.

Another item fro my bucket list may become true, to see PR gain statehood. But why stop there!? Our founders built this nation with an expansionist vision, we must continue to see that vision through to the end!! Next up is Mexico!

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Dembow

Corruption problems there?

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee
You know anywhere else besides New Zealand and Iceland where corruption is not an issue??

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 12:18 AM
link   

I believe you.

Do you know the reason for the law that I linked to? Was US citizenship for Puerto Ricans optional before that or limited in some way?

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Huge corruption problem, endemic. Its blatant obvious and in your face. And both parties keep their mouth shut because both do the same.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

I really dont know why that link said that. I know there have been a few acts of congress regarding bilateral relationship. For example the act that gave us US citizenship in 1917 and the law in 1952 that allowed for the creation of the Commonwealth and self goverment.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Ok, I do think it sounds a little like the 14th Amendment, maybe they just wanted to make sure it was understood that it was a birthright citizenship.

I did notice some things come up about dual citizenship and also about renouncing US citizenship during my search.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 03:01 AM
link   

I wouldn't be something sure of that. remember back in February, the 51 star flag controversy. It's possible to this was discussed by members of Congress already. Isn't Marcos Rubio Puerto Rican too?

apnews.com...
edit on 12-6-2017 by PlasticWizard because: Grammar, it's late

This quote is direct from the gop 2016 platform, specifically concerning Puerto Rico.

"The Territory of Puerto Rico
We support the right of the United States
citizens of Puerto Rico to be admitted to the Union
as a fully sovereign state."

It goes on recognizing the 2012 vote and so on. Either way Congress is going to let things happen.

edit on 12-6-2017 by PlasticWizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Only 23% of voters voted, this will no even be considered in congress, they required at least 3 thirds of the population.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join