It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question for the Pro-Life crowd.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   
First, realize that in my personal life I am pro-life, and married a counterpart the believes the same. Socially, I am pro-choice, or rather don't believe the government has a right to control a persons personal and medical decisions. The upcoming question is in no way picking a fight, or wanting an argument. I really do want to know your thoughts.

If studies were done, and outlawing abortion would reduce abortions greatly, but cause some other issues such as a black-market, self/unsafe procedures happening, more children/babies that could not be provided for, etc - Would you want it outlawed nonetheless?

On the other hand - If studies shown that improved access to many options, including contraception, birth control, and even abortions, proved that less abortions would happen overall - Would you want legislation to encourage these options?

They may seem like loaded questions, but overall may or may not depict reality. I'm not an expert so I do not know the cause and effect of each line of thinking, but I do want to know which one you would prefer.

Personally, I prefer less overall abortions happen, and if improved access to birth control, contraception, and abortion itself was the solution - I would lean this way. I personally believe the negative impact of outlawing something is not worth the perceived benefit ( ie prohibition )

What do you think?

All questions, comments, etc are welcome.

Just a random thought on my mind.

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Let me simplify it for you, OP:

Hey pro-life crowd, why do you pretend to care about unborn babies, but not give a # about the innocent children murdered overseas by U.S. tax-dollars?

Why do you guys pull the moral crusader card when it comes to woman being raped and how she should be forced to carry and mother that child, but then withdrawal wen it comes to frightening statistics regarding Obama's drone legacy that murders innocent children in multiple sovereign nations on the daily?

Yeah. Riddle me that.

(P.S. - they don't care)

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

If studies were done, and outlawing abortion would reduce abortions greatly, but cause some other issues such as a black-market, self/unsafe procedures happening, more children/babies that could not be provided for, etc - Would you want it outlawed nonetheless?

An economics case has been made that the remarkable drop in the murder rate and teenage homicides is because of Roe V Wade. The argument is that young, poor teenage mothers raised children with psychological problems, weak moral compasses and so forth. Poor upbringings in economically deprived households and areas created sufficient conditions to produce angry young men; some of whom lacked the inhibitions that provide the checks and balances in society.

As young women sought abortions, this demographic began to shrink and thus we see the teenage homicide rate decline within a generation of the Roe V Wade judgement.

Naturally, it's open to debate and rejection by some. Nevertheless it's an aspect of abortion that many pro-life folk won't be aware of. At the same time, many pro-choice folk haven't seen an abortion in action and might temper their certainties and advocate more for contraception and sex education if they had. Lol that causes issues too as many a pro-lifer will be offended at the idea of sex education for kids despite the evidence that it works very well in Northern European countries.

A contentious subject that divides people like the imaginary Left/Right schism.

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Forgive me for noticing, but for a prolifer, why do you choose the word dead in your name?

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   

While I am Pro Life privately like you, I am Pro Choice because let's face it, realistically even if we stop abortions, its still going to happen regardless just underground.

However, I propose a solution, what about expanding sex ed and put mandatory lessons on the issue of abortion? Like teach people on the ethics, psychological, physical and emotional fallout of abortions, personal experiences of people who experienced abortions and let people decide. Ultimately though, the teacher will tell the students that the choice is theirs.

That way people won't feel pressured and that they feel like they have free will.

edit on 6/11/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadlyhope
On the other hand - If studies shown that improved access to many options, including contraception, birth control, and even abortions, proved that less abortions would happen overall - Would you want legislation to encourage these options?

No need for studies. Contraception is free in the UK. From condoms to the pill and other barrier methods. 48 hour after pill is also free. Britain has highest teenage pregnancies in Europe.

link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

Hmm, no, this isn't really what I was going for.

If a person believes fully that abortion is wrong, regardless of circumstance.. I'm not going to claim their thought process is invalid. Much of what we think, do, believe is based on our moral compass.

I simply wonder if their moral compass desires this action to be against the law, or if their moral compass would be willing to compromise based on a different outcome, based on laws that support an action they are against.

No wrong answers here, I want to get to know the thought process of others.

Not judge them or accuse them of anything.

link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire

Hey pro-life crowd, why do you pretend to care about unborn babies, but not give a # about the innocent children murdered overseas by U.S. tax-dollars?

Why do you guys pull the moral crusader card when it comes to woman being raped and how she should be forced to carry and mother that child, but then withdrawal wen it comes to frightening statistics regarding Obama's drone legacy that murders innocent children in multiple sovereign nations on the daily?

Yeah. Riddle me that.

(P.S. - they don't care)

P.S.....seems you don't care what happens to the innocents BEFORE the drone strikes....the animals that hide and cower behind the women and children, that butcher entire villages full of people, you're silent on.....but, when the drones come to wipe out these animals, THEN you're outraged...ok, got it

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I think is up to the parents
I do believe people not get these things done just for fun

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I don't think the Government should make those decisions for anyone. But I must say I am very happy the parents didn't decide to abort either of my grand daughters. They are now 13 and 15 years old and they are wonderful girls. With out them my life would have little meaning.

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: RisenMessiah

Deadlyhope - my friend came up with it when we were younger, and I kept it.

I tried moving on to "the Centrist Philosopher" - but I don't know, I've never felt too philosophical.

Think of it like "hopeless romantic"

It's more that I'm a hopeful person, but that hope is not always a friend. It doesn't always create good things. Sometimes it fails you, disappoints you. Deadly hope.

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   

If studies shown that improved access to many options, including contraception

Many of the abortions are the result of rape where contraception is not used.

So cutting off the rapists 'weapon' would solve so many abortions.

But as its a animals (man's) world, some men will never evolve past ape-man and their Judge buddies will always let them off the hook instead of properly hanging them on a meat hook by the groin for the public to see.

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

Yeah. Riddle me that.

(P.S. - they don't care)

P.S.....seems you don't care what happens to the innocents BEFORE the drone strikes....the animals that hide and cower behind the women and children, that butcher entire villages full of people, you're silent on.....but, when the drones come to wipe out these animals, THEN you're outraged...ok, got it

And you know this, how?

P.S. Continue to make random and irrelevant things up about me all you'd like.
- I'm flattered I mean so much to an anon Internet poster they must tell me how I feel/think
- I graduated the fourth grade back in 2000 something or other, so I'm not worried about petty grade school insults

Why don't you stay on topic, and go refresh yourself on the terms and conditions?

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   

a reply to: RisenMessiah

Deadlyhope - my friend came up with it when we were younger, and I kept it.

I tried moving on to "the Centrist Philosopher" - but I don't know, I've never felt too philosophical.

Think of it like "hopeless romantic"

It's more that I'm a hopeful person, but that hope is not always a friend. It doesn't always create good things. Sometimes it fails you, disappoints you. Deadly hope.

Thank you for conveying! I like to understand things, it gives me a better perspective on the entire picture. I concur fully hope is not always friendly or good.

Peace and good thread topic

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I believe that life starts at conception, and taking a life is murder. Sometimes terminating a life born or not is the appropriate choice, but usually it's not. So no, I would not support easier access to abortions. I would rather we make contraceptive tools more accessible.

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Templeton
I believe that life starts at conception, and taking a life is murder. Sometimes terminating a life born or not is the appropriate choice, but usually it's not. So no, I would not support easier access to abortions. I would rather we make contraceptive tools more accessible.

While we're at it, men can stop raping women and getting them pregnant, too.

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Templeton

While we're at it, men can stop raping women and getting them pregnant, too.

You are correct. We should focus on that problem instead of making it more tolerable. And I do concede it is appropriate sometimes.

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Giving women control over their own bodies is both a moral and practical duty. But it is unmistakable that human life is being terminated in abortions.

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Templeton

Excuse my ignorance, but how relevant is this problem, on a percentage basis ?

I looked statistics up some months ago and it seemed it was very low...
this site, for instance, conveys that as well.

I believe in capital punishment for certain rape cases, though, and believe it should definitely be cracked down on in any reasonable way.

My problem is, sometimes the discussion does not seem reasonable. Two people that willingly become drunk, both having consensual sex with each other- I personally don't believe either one can claim rape at a later time, due to regret, for instance.

But that does make the water muddy.

Aggravated, violent, forced rape should end in capital punishment, though.

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

To the point, and addressing two very real sides at the same time.

Thank you, lesmis.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join