It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandela Effect - You Can Dance If You Want To - Or Not?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: fleabit

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

originally posted by: fleabit Depend vs. Depends for example.

What's the controversy here?

For that one in particular? Many say they recall it as Depends, but it just Depend. But honestly aside from jokes about adult diapers, how often do people actually interact with the word? So that is almost certainly just a mistake, not an ME.

Dilemna (dillema) and Caldwell (Coldwell) however.. are very strange to me.

No, it's depends. Or depend. It depends. (Pun intended)

to be undetermined or pending:
I may go to Europe or I may not, it all depends.

www.dictionary.com...

Dilemma is an interesting one and I swear it was dilemna. I think it's due to teachers learning the wrong spelling because it was so common to mispell by so many people and they taught the wrong one. We never had the internet back then so it was whatever the teacher said.
edit on 12-6-2017 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   
People will say Dilemma has never been spelled Dilemna. But that is wrong. It has been spelled as Dilemna by millions of people, starting probably with one person who was "overcorrecting" their spelling as they say, and then spreading until techers started instructing their students to spell it in that way. If it weren't for the internet, it might never have been corrected, and perhaps dilemna might have overcame dilemma as the dominant spelling.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Tearman

They mean it was never correctly spelled as dilemna. It is not an alternate spelling. It's not an americanism. It's just wrong.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   
On the subject of Dilemma or Dilemna, this is from 2012. 5 years ago. Before the "Mandela Effect" was invented to explain poor memory and memes

english.stackexchange.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04 I know that. What I mean is the way a word is spelled is the way people spell it. And if millions of people spell it one way, which is not recognized as the "correct" way, there are explanations that have nothing to do with parallel universes, and ones that raise far fewer questions. Although, in a way, what I am suggesting is the existence of a kind of parallel reality, if you define the reality of a spelling as however people spell a word.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Tearman

Completely agree. Faulty memory is a much better explanation for basically every ME.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I'm still undecided.

I'd like to know more facts before I determine any conclusions.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

No, actually I was speaking of the adult diaper. It is called Depend. But many thought it was called Depends. But usually it's only heard of as a joke (or when given at someone's 50th birthday party), so I can easily understand how people would get that one wrong.

Caldwell to me is a great example. At least to me.. because I recall seeing it when I was young, and it was difficult to say, because Caldwell was tricky (as a kid) to pronounce. I recall seeing Caldwell signs. Caldwell on bus stops (on the bench), and so on. People on LinkedIn from years back had their current employer as Caldwell. They didn't know their own company name apparently. It was wrong on television ads (Coldwell on the sign, Caldwell in the fine print). It was print Caldwell in ads in newspapers.

What is weird to me is that Caldwell is not common. I literally have seen nothing else called Caldwell. It doesn't roll off the tongue. Why would not just I, but apparently a -lot- of people mangle Coldwell.. which would be very easy to remember and say.. with Caldwell? It's not as if I heard it mangled by someone else, or saw it in a spelling class.

I'd also like to know what ATS uses as a spellchecker. I'm assuming it's built into the site? Google correct Caldwell to Coldwell. But on this site.. type Coldwell. Then right-click on it, and see the correction it recommends.. (which is Caldwell). Funny huh?
edit on 12-6-2017 by fleabit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Pearj

I have been very skeptical in regards to the mandela effect, but this one is crazy. I have loved this song ever since I heard it play in the movie "Bio-Dome." There were always a set of lyrics that have "We can dance" in them, but most of the song has always been "You can dance." Freaking wild man. Great job for bringing this to my attention OP. There is definitely something strange going on. And before anyone tells me I have been remembering this wrong, that is completely impossible. I love myself some 80's pop and have listened to this song on many different mediums several times a year, sometimes more. I could get past Berenstain because I wasn't reading at the age I watched the show and the opening song sounded like Berenstein. I could get past Mandela's death because I was too young to really have any basis on why I may have thought he died earlier. "The Safety Dance" is the smoking gun for me.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ventian

Except you are wrong and it's just bad memory. The lyrics would make no sense as you can dance.

Ah we can dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're are no friends of mine
I say, we can go where we want to, A place where they will never find
And we can act like we come from out of this world
Leave the real one far behind,
And we can dance

It would jump from You to We to You to We ... makes no sense. The lyrics only look right if it's We can dance.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   

What is weird to me is that Caldwell is not common. I literally have seen nothing else called Caldwell. It doesn't roll off the tongue. Why would not just I, but apparently a -lot- of people mangle Coldwell.. which would be very easy to remember and say.. with Caldwell?

have you tried googling caldwell? Check out wikipedia. There are at least 20 places in the United States alone called Caldwell, as well as buildings, ships, people and businesses with the name.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 12-6-2017 by Tearman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   

No, actually I was speaking of the adult diaper. It is called Depend. But many thought it was called Depends. But usually it's only heard of as a joke (or when given at someone's 50th birthday party), so I can easily understand how people would get that one wrong.

Well the plural of depend is depends. So you bought a pack of depends. So it would be pack of depend diapers or pack of depends. So it just depends (pun intended again

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I believe you may have a reading comprehension problem. This isn't some song I last heard 20 years ago. This is a song I have heard several times a year for decades, as I have already stated. I have not been a proponent of this particular theory, but it is very plausible in my mind now. My entire life has revolved around music, and 80's pop has always been a favorite. I have been wrong on several occasions, but this isn't one of them.

Lyrics have always been (up until about half an hour ago)

You can dance if you want to
You can leave your friends behind
Cause if your friends don't dance
and if they don't dance
then they're no friends of mine.

I say, you can go where you want to
to a place they'll never find
and you can act like you come from outta this world
and leave the real one far behind.
And you can dance.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   

What is weird to me is that Caldwell is not common. I literally have seen nothing else called Caldwell. It doesn't roll off the tongue. Why would not just I, but apparently a -lot- of people mangle Coldwell.. which would be very easy to remember and say.. with Caldwell? It's not as if I heard it mangled by someone else, or saw it in a spelling class.
?

Caldwell (or Cauldwell) is a not uncommon British surname. There was a General Caldwell in the US Civil War. I have a good friend with that name. It may originate from a placename "cold well", I am not sure. But I have never ever heard the name Coldwell in any context at all.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ventian

Thats how I remember them

But, I havent heard the song for many many years. But thanks to this thread the song has been going round my head all day! And if someone told me the lyrics were slightly different, I might well agree its was "You" not "We". Because both sound right, and I dont actually remember ......

And that, in a nutshell, is the "Mandela Effect".

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: [post=22340160]Pearj]
Does anyone else remember the lyrics starting "You can dance if you want to"?

I have never heard them as "We can dance if we want to."

This was one of my favorite songs and I have always heard it, and remember it, as "You can dance if you want to." I just sang the first 8-12 lines and I didn't say we once. I think this is just a case of mistaken words in a song again.

In the 80s, it wasn't uncommon for different versions of a song to be released in the United States.

edit on 6/12/2017 by Ethera because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure the song has both 'you' and 'we'. They sing you in the second or third verse and we in the others.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: tebyen

Your explanation makes no sense when there is video of the band "just remembering the lyrics wrong"

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ventian
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I believe you may have a reading comprehension problem. This isn't some song I last heard 20 years ago. This is a song I have heard several times a year for decades, as I have already stated. I have not been a proponent of this particular theory, but it is very plausible in my mind now. My entire life has revolved around music, and 80's pop has always been a favorite. I have been wrong on several occasions, but this isn't one of them.

Lyrics have always been (up until about half an hour ago)

You can dance if you want to
You can leave your friends behind
Cause if your friends don't dance
and if they don't dance
then they're no friends of mine.

I say, you can go where you want to
to a place they'll never find
and you can act like you come from outta this world
and leave the real one far behind.
And you can dance.

The lyrics have always been We since day 1..You might have processed them wrong, you might have thought you heard something else but it doesnt change the fact the lyrics have always been we everywhere else but in magic ME world. I know it doesnt matter and it seems more logical to ME believers that every print copy of something, such as a lyrics sheet from the album, are changed vs the infallible nature of the human mind but FWIW here is an explanation of what the song is about from the person who wrote it....

"The writer/lead singer, Ivan Doroschuk, has explained that "The Safety Dance" is a protest against bouncers stopping dancers pogoing to 1980s new wave music in clubs when disco was dying and new wave was up and coming. New wave dancing, especially pogoing, was different from disco dancing, because it was done individually instead of with partners and involved holding the torso rigid and thrashing about. To uninformed bystanders this could look dangerous, especially if pogoers accidentally bounced into one another (the more deliberately violent evolution of pogoing is slamdancing). The bouncers did not like pogoing so they would tell pogoers to stop or be kicked out of the club. Thus, the song is a protest and a call for freedom of expression.[5]
In 2003, on an episode of VH1's True Spin, Doroschuk responded to two common interpretations of the song. Firstly, he notes it is not a call for safe sex. Doroschuk says that is reading too much into the lyrics. Secondly, he explained that it is not an anti-nuclear protest song per se despite the nuclear imagery at the end of the video. Doroschuk stated that "it wasn't a question of just being anti-nuclear, it was a question of being anti-establishment."

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Here are the full lyrics from the song..

Ss-ah-ff-ee-tt-yy
Safety-dance!

Ah we can dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind
I say, we can go where we want to, A place where they will never find
And we can act like we come from out of this world
Leave the real one far behind,
And we can dance

We can dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind