It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Personal Firearms Record...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I recently saw that a relative of mine received a piece of mail containing what's known as a pamphlet requesting that gun owners fill out a personal fireams record in the case of a stolen firearm. Because I block ad's, i"m not able to post pictures regardless of whether I allow ad's on ATS. That said, here's a link to the pamphlet word for word...

Personal Firearms Record

Each year, thousands of firearms are reported lost or stolen. The owners’ ability to adequately identify these firearms is central to law enforcement’s ability to investigate these crimes and losses.

Is it really essential to solve stolen firearms? Or it is an ambiguous method to fool gun owners into listing their owned firearms?

edit on 6/11/2017 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace
update?? I AM THE UPDATE!

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 03:40 AM
link   

It's a personal record, not intended to be sent back to the ATF, I see nothing wrong with it. Good for insurance purposes as well.
edit on 11-6-2017 by D8Tee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 03:54 AM
link   
A tool to get em brainwashed into registering them .

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 03:56 AM
link   
a reply to: VengefulGhost

It seems like everything is used as a tool these days to brainwash, created by a bunch of tools.

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 04:02 AM
link   
a reply to: VengefulGhost

Waste of money on the guvs part to send this out in the mail, but what else is new.

I

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 04:27 AM
link   

It seems like the pamphlet is essentially just a suggestion to keep a record of your property in case if the firearms get stolen or ends up at a crime scene.

I personally keep a similar record in an Excel worksheet. If I sold a firearm at a gun show/shop, and that firearm somehow ends up at a crime scene, I would gladly help law enforcement and tell them who/where I sold the firearm to.

From what I understand, (explaining to the best of my ability), when a firearm is found at a crime scene, or obtained during an investigation, the serial number on the firearm is traced from the manufacturer/importer, to the distributor, to the store, and then to the individual who purchased the firearm from that store. (A top-down approach). The ATF then phones/contacts the individual who purchased the firearm from the store and asks them what they did with the firearm. Did they sell it at a gun show, gun shop, personal exchange, stolen, etc... The ATF then follows those leads until they either, "A"- lose the leads, or "B"-trace the history of the firearm in the "transfer tree".

Some additional information on tracing from the ATF www.atf.gov...

Firearms tracing begins when a law enforcement agency discovers a firearm at a crime scene and seeks to learn the origin or background of that firearm in order to develop investigative leads. Tracing is a systematic process of tracking the movement of a firearm from its manufacture or from its introduction into U.S. commerce by the importer, through the distribution chain, i.e., wholesaler/retailer, to identify an unlicensed purchaser. That information can help to link a suspect to a firearm in a criminal investigation and identify potential traffickers.

edit on 11-6-2017 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 04:28 AM
link   
I have a few cans of baked beans and a backside.

(i hate guns)

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 04:52 AM
link   

You can trust the ATF.

I also have a bridge for sale if youre interested.

edit on 11-6-2017 by gladtobehere because: typo

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 06:01 AM
link   

I will never register a weapon with police or any other government agency.

That said there is a way to ensure you can assist police with a stolen firearm case.

1. Take several high quality images of your firearm to include serial number, familiar markings, and list any after market modifications or accessories stolen with the firearm.

2. Ensure you have serial number(s) recorded. So many people decide not to do this and then they wonder why their weapon is never returned after recovery.

There is no need to register a weapon.

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 06:44 AM
link   
^ That ^
I keep a record, with pictures, of every firearm I own. Serial numbers, a detailed description of the gun and anything else I can think of that would make it stand out. I also have my initials lightly engraved on the barrel of each, in a place that can't be seen unless the weapon is disassembled. IF I ever sell it [ I rarely sell a gun ] it can be easily buffed out with polishing compound.
I also take the bolt out of any rifles. Even if they're stolen, they're useless.

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I too have pictures of all our firearms, with close-ups of serial #s and any other identifiable details like decoration.

But I also have pictures of my jewelry, electronics and family heirlooms for insurance purposes. It's just common sense, imo.

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   

The correct answer when asked how many guns one has is simple. Enough.

That'll keep them wondering.

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   

You guys don't trust the government when it comes to guns. But you trust the government when it comes to the military.

The government is completely incompetent when it comes to making our country a better place to live. But the government is the greatest thing in the world when it comes to military and military spending. How military spending isn't Big Government?

I would not fill out the form. No good can become of it. If criminal gets your gun and kills someone with it you would be responsible for not securing your guns properly. I can't imagine there is a law requiring you to fill that out. Maybe at your state level.

I would just ignore it.

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Bahahahahahah how many folks simply clicked on the thread after reading the headline without following the source.

You do realize, this is for personal use, right? You don't send this back/in, you use it for yourself.

Damn. I knew ATS was bad, but damn.

We can't even have threads where people read the #ing source. Bunch of clowns.

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I will say this is nothing to be concerned about. Several posters have said this for personal use. I do like some others and record everything on an excel spreadsheet and take detailed pictures. I make several copies of the data on memory sticks. One gets hidden in my safe, one goes to the safe deposit box and one goes to my Dad. That way if something happens I will be able to access the information from at least one place. On my spreadsheet I also include date purchased price paid and current market value. The insurance recommended this data. Dealing with the military for 23 years I learned to have verifiable information for all valuables. I used to keep receipts and boxes for all, now I just keep the original boxes.

Wow that is a long reply.

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Having your firearms ( and other valuable as well ) serial numbers recorded in an easy to access format is just good practice.

All my gun and electronics serial numbers are recorded and I can easily hand that info over to LE if I need to for NCIC entry.

It boggles my mind how few people perform this basic task to safeguard their belongings.

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   

I love Americans and their innate fear of anything to do with their guns. It's an immediate knee jerk reaction. " murca! # yah! Get the # away from my guns!"

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aeshma

I love Americans and their innate fear of anything to do with their guns. It's an immediate knee jerk reaction. " murca! # yah! Get the # away from my guns!"

Given what has happened before when the citizenry is disarmed, can you blame us?

We're just students of history.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: cynicalheathen
Given what has happened before when the citizenry is disarmed, can you blame us?

We're just students of history.

Well, what happened? My knowledge of American history is not that solid. Maybe you can give me a link or something?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join