It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America's Cup Yachting

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

The TV guys. When I was able to watch they used a computerized sail tracker that showed the tracks of each boat and how they'd try to steal the wind off the other boat, and the strategy they used. It would put a computer model of the boats with a line behind them to show their movements.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

The whole course is laid out which really helps when you are not there in person and they are swapping from boat to helicopter.

Sail tracker helps too for us land lubbers!!

But it looks like they have something similar onboard that they refer to while sailing. Not sure what they call it, hence my confusion.

US's jibing needs to improve!

Kiwis lead, 2-0

Happy Fathers Day!!

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Kiwis are running away with this.

They are fast! A couple touchdowns aside the US looks so far behind from the start.

Speaking of which... wth US!!! You had them dead to rights at the start of race 4! They say there was too much time but you have to try. Sad being pinned against the start line.

Till next weekend...

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Crazy start with penalties to team Oracle!

Good stuff!!

120m lead for the Kiwis.

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Interesting that they changed things up. It used to be that the winning team yacht club was the host for the next Cup. In grew past, when Oracle won, the next cup was held in San Francisco harbor.

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   

US gets one!

Still down 1 - 4 to NZ but they looked competitive today.

Looks harder to sail, the penalties in the first race didn't help, but second race was a thing of beauty! Leading at mark 1, then mark 2, lost the lead at the turn but nipped them at the last turn.

Awesome!!

The changes seemed to work. And they had a good race.

I think that the winner has the choice of next venue. US has their dev team in Bahama so that was what they chose. I think that is how it works. As always, could be wrong.

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   

They were talking about something like that the last one I watched. That way if the winning yacht club didn't have the facilities, or the weather they weren't screwed.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Indy and F1 in the same day,,, something had to give!

Oracle loses both, The start of race 6 sees US penelized even though they got back in (wth is up with the penalties against the US??).

Fast forward to the end, it is 6 - 1, so time to say "Good race, NZ"!!

Wonder where the Kiwis will take it next?!??

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   

New Zealand beat defending champions Team USA to win the 35th America's Cup with a 7-1 series victory.

The Kiwis dominated the best-of-13 contest and secured the overall win in the first of Monday's races in Bermuda.

BBC.com, sports America's Cup: New Zealand beat Team USA to win title.

Not just dominated. @sswhiping is more like it! America only got one win on a great start. They were lucky to stretch it to Monday. Oh, well. Still fun as h3ll to watch these machines flying around the race course, turning on a dime, and the occasional crashing into each other. Oh, the overboard was cool too!

It only took one race!

Congratulation on the win, New Zealand!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join