It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America's Cup Yachting

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Being new to the new version of this sport I find it fascinating. And rather exciting!

In the old days they used yachts with normal sails. Then technology entered the scene. They went carbon fiber. Then the sails were upgraded.

Now it is catamarans with hard sails. Carbon fiber bodies and foil boards. These things are like F1 cars on water!

I just watched New Zealand beat Sweden with a great tach going up wind against the boundary (hope that was correct term. Not much of a sailor myself).

This is really cool stuff!! Enjoying the h3ll out of this!

2017 America's Cup... YES!! I don't even care America's team Oracle is already in. This is just fascinating racing!!

Anyone else watching??

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I liked the commentators remark, "they are more like fighter pilots at this point rather than sailors"

Sweden and Kiwis are tied at one a piece with one to go.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Oh my!!!

Sweden has a man overboard!!

Helmsman is gone so Kiwis for the win!!!

This is really good stuff!!!
edit on 10-6-2017 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: Correct term

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Just watched this recently, seemed more like flying. Sailing is lumbering thru the surf, these boats were hydroplanes that skimmed along. Wonderful to see, very exciting!!

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

They did a match race between a monohull and cat a few years ago, and the difference made it beyond boring. The cat was so far ahead in every race that they could have stopped for lunch and still won.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   
They are awesome to watch... They had to shorten the allowable length from 60ft to 40ft because the 60 footers were too fast and dangerous... There were some crazy crashes and several deaths.
Sailing is now like motorsport.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: WUNK22

It is not like it used to be!

I like Indy Car and F1 and this reminds me of both! Loving it!!

a reply to: Zaphod58

I started watching last year and was beyond blown away. This is really cool!

My lame sailing skills shine through. I like learning new things!

a reply to: homerJ

I didn't know that.

Watching this is like speed chess or something. LOL.

Surprised more people aren't into this.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   

I grew up learning to sail, mostly 14 and 19 foot boats. I got to do a sail from Hickam Harbor to the Ala Wai Yacht Club on an 86 foot Transpac yacht one year. That was awesome. My mother's sailing group sponsored them for the race (sponsors meet them when they arrive, regardless of time of day, and have snacks and leis, and take care of their needs while they're in port), so they brought the boat down to let us all see them and have a cookout. When they went back to their dock, they took whoever wanted to go with them on the boat.

We've watched the America's Cup just about every time it's been on for as long as I can remember. It's usually a lot of fun.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   

That is awesome!!

Me and my college buddy figured out how to steer a 15 skiff around a local lake. No knowledge of terminology or what we were doing but having fun the entire time.

Got our rental on one edge with me counterbalancing the thing and we enjoyed the h3ll out of the day!

The Cup is great spectating! I wish everyone else could get into it because it is half physical and the other 3/4 is mental!!

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Lake sailing is a lot more interesting than ocean sailing. You have to learn to read the wind, and it's really unpredictable. Ocean sailing is pretty easy by comparison, but can be a lot more fun because you can get some big boats out there. We used to love Hickam Harbor because we'd get to go out into the open ocean by the Pearl Harbor channel and see the ships coming in and out, and you could see all the way to the bottom, so you'd see big sharks and turtles swimming around.
edit on 6/11/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Aw man that sounds incredible!!

We had to wait until the ice went out in late June to do our adventure. The wait was worth it because I got a hankering for the open ocean.

I've stood on top of mountains on my snowboard (same friend) and wondered at the sights. The ocean sounds like a blast and a place I want to return to.

In the meantime, America's Cup will do!

Thanks for the share! If nobody has told you lately... you're awesome!! Hehehe... (or so one thread says!)

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 12:26 AM
link   

I wasn't lucky enough to see it, but my mother's sailing group would have open ocean races, and they'd see dolphins and whales swimming around. One time, she looked over the side, and a 14 foot Tiger shark went swimming under the boat.

Funniest story they had about the races was one they did from Hickam to Ford Island in Pearl Harbor, and back to Hickam Harbor. One of the boats was heading back out the channel, and they heard a swishing sound behind them. The skipper turned around and looked, and a Los Angeles class attack sub was coming up behind them. Without missing a beat, she cupped her hands, and yelled 'RIGHT OF WAY!"

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Finally saw the boat layouts and how they work. Yeah, F1 on water!

The cranker's power is channeled to a capacitor for storage and use on demand. Kind of like KERS on F1 cars (they are also being used in semis and delivery vans in Europe to assist fuel mileage). That was not known to me! The skipper also adjusts the foils nearly every second to keep the cats flying. Doing three races in a day would be tiring!

Funny story about the sub! Reminds me of that book, Huge Ships and How to Avoid Them, but I doubt there is much one can do if one starts to surface!

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   

As exciting as the Cup is, that's like the World Series or Super Bowl of yachting. I like watching the smaller boats. Some of those races will have 40 or 50 boats at the start scrambling around. Good fun to watch.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Yeah but I will take what I can get!

Especially on a Saturday morning with no cartoons on! I miss watching Bugs Bunny and the Roadrunner at times.

I'd probably watch regattas if I lived in a place where they were held. This is more of a white water rafting or kayaking kind of territory. I should probably go explore the watery parts of the world. Navigate by the stars. Get a pet parrot and become a connoisseur of calamari. But alas, a landlocked lubber am I.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Oh! New Zealand vs US is on MSM!!

LOL!

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Oracle botched the jibe!!!

After coming back from 400m down!!

D'oh!!

Down 200m now.

*facepalm*

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Ah well. More racing to come.

Kiwis +1

Let's go wind!!

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   

The strategy is half the fun of watching these. Do they still have that great sail tracker?

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Not sure what that is.

The sailors or the TV guys?

The US had a tablet battery die on them during the race so had to actually sail by feeling. That is when their jibe dropped them off the foils. Not sure if the two were connected.

Fun stuff never the lass.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join