It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How evil is evil to you?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   
What is evil? How evil do you think it should go by your standards?

Executing, stealing, and raping is also considered evil. But, is it wrong if someone steals because they can't afford food?
We all know super evil is by mad scientists and black magic.
There is also cheating or lying.

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: makemap

Executing, stealing, and raping is also considered evil. But, is it wrong if someone steals because they can't afford food?

I'd say hate, malice, and selfishness are evils.

Most everything else that is "bad" isn't so evil if not done for the above reasons.

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: makemap

I think of evil as an adjective to describe malicious intent. Evil is not a being, a force, or a thing. It is the intent behind a person's actions. If a person intends to hurt or take something from another person, that could be considered evil, but then everyone would be evil, so most people reserve this descriptor for truly dispicable individuals.

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Is it wrong to rape when sacking a city.. because all of humanity did it before the last century..

Is it wrong for a soldier to murder??

I think evil strongly depends on context.. or maybe not and just every one previous to now were evil ...

Is a grown man who sleeps with a 12 year old a child molester?? Or a husband anytime before the last century??

I was leaning toward context.. but the more I think about it our ancestors were just really crappy human beings.

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Not all lies are evil, obviously, and not all theft is evil, as we can all empathize with a hungry person.

What about rape?....... is rape always evil? It may depend on a clear definition of what is considered rape in the first place. Obviously, forced rape is def evil, and a person who could do this is evil by any definition. Does anyone ever rape by accident? I'm not prepared to make a difinitive statement. I could see someone having a terrible lapse of clear judgment, If they were seriously impaired, and maybe they don't realize the other person is passed out. It's still rape, and should have serious consequences , but maybe not evil. I wouldn't argue with anyone who thought otherwise.
edit on 9-6-2017 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

Not all lies are evil, obviously, and not all theft is evil, as we can all empathize with a hungry person.

What about rape?....... is rape always evil? It may depend on a clear definition of what is considered rape in the first place. Obviously, forced rape is def evil, and a person who could do this is evil by any definition. Does anyone ever rape by accident? I'm not prepared to make a difinitive statement. I could see someone having a terrible lapse of clear judgment, If they were seriously impaired, and maybe they don't realize the other person is passed out. It's still rape, and should have serious consequences , but maybe not evil.

Rape by accident? What about framing? I guess that is evil too.

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

I was leaning toward context.. but the more I think about it our ancestors were just really crappy human beings.

Remember when you could rape and maim during war with impunity? In the name of holiness?

Pepperidge Farms remembers.

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

Remember when you could rape and maim during war with impunity? In the name of holiness?

Your telling your age. But yea, you guys were all about it.

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

originally posted by: Abysha

Your telling your age. But yea, you guys were all about it.

"Us" who? I'm not a Christian.

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Is it still evil if someone commits an act because their god commanded them to?

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Well hitler is evil, stalin pretty evil, mao pretty evil, demons, monsters, rapists, pedofiles....

I think on a scale We'd have like Mr. Rogers on one side, and Hillary Clinton on the other.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Evil is implied in one's intentions.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 12:08 AM
link   

How about career criminal liars of the warmongerful international sponsors of terrorism & overthrowing governments, variety of evil. Where should they stack up at on the scale?

Some names come to mind...

You just gave me an idea for a killer infographic....
edit on 10-6-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 12:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aeshma

Well hitler is evil, stalin pretty evil, mao pretty evil, demons, monsters, rapists, pedofiles....

I think on a scale We'd have like Mr. Rogers on one side, and Hillary Clinton on the other.

I don't know . . . I always thought Mr. Rogers was pretty evil. Not as evil as Pee-Wee Herman mind you, but pretty evil.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 12:44 AM
link   
There are all degrees of "evils".

I would say evil is measured by how much suffering you cause knowingly and needlessly or without reason.

----

Also another aspect worth mentioning is whether anyone ever makes actions at all. Maybe all actions are due to preexisting conditions.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 01:14 AM
link   

What happened in Rwanda is what stands out the most in my lifetime. It was like evil itself rolled like a fog through the land and spurred the massacres. Basic murders were bad enough; it was the savagery and torture against neighbours that struck a chord. What happened there could happen anywhere and nobody, no group, is above the possibility.

Bosnia, Abu Ghraib, Mai Lai, Farrakhund's stoning. What people can do to each other is without limitation under the right circumstances. Inner angels and inner bastards.

I don't believe in an actual force of 'Evil.' Sometimes its more reassuring than the mute knowledge we are all as capable of great deeds as well as utmost savagery. It's clichéd now, but there's a reason why 'banality of evil' is such a popular phrase.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Evil is bad with cosmic connotations. From a strictly ethical standpoint there is only good and bad. Involve things other than ethics, such as god, then you have evil. Rawanda is a good example. The man killing the other wasn't doing it because he thought what he was doing was bad. He was doing it because that is what he thought was a good idea.

There are records of Himreck Himler, the head of Hitler's SS and ran Aushwitch. He spoke how this was his duty as a good German to kill the Jews. But he also wrote how he would kill any German soldier caught stealing from the prisoners, living or dead. So even he had an ethical code.
edit on 10-6-2017 by Sillyosaurus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I would say intentions towards others that have selfish intent is where evil lies...

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Anyone who does this...unredeemable evil!
But the worst of the worst...
trigger warning:

behold, that which should not be spoken!
edit on 10-6-2017 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 02:33 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

so you prefer on top, not underneath...

tragic..

edit on 10-6-2017 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join